Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hatches  (Read 2072 times)

Highlander16

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hatches
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:01:45 pm »

What is the best way to seal removable yacht hatches

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
Re: Hatches
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:13:36 am »

do you mean seal them closed or?
if so either epoxy or simple old super glue (gorilla super glue is decent stuff, they do a gel type one).
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:34:13 am »

Hello Highlander, If it is just a light weight ply or plastic flush fitting hatch then adhesive tape which is one use, mainly used on Class racing yachts.
A flush hatch does need to have something to grasp to lift it off.
 I have a scale yacht with flush fitting hatch and use dummy winches to lift it.
The construction of the hatch has 3mm ply edges about 6mm deep and they slot into a U section with bicycle valve tube in the base of the U section together with some vaseline smeered around.
 This has proved a reliable seal especially if you can clamp the hatch down in some way.
You could also put a lip under the front edge of the hatch so that slips in place and then have the rear edge clamped down from the deck.  I have used cut back servo tops with a screw to pivot on.  If painted the same colour as the deck you do not notice them.

If you can adapt a dummy winch to have a machine screw which can lock into a captive nut then this is very effective.
Depend if you are scale or not.
regards
Roy

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:13:06 am »

For Starters what kind of boat is it on,if a Tug \Workboat etc you can do it like the lads have already suggested OR you can use some neoprene glued to one side of the hatch You could make your own seal using silicone.....apply silicone to one side of the hatch and apply with grease or vaseline to the other simply close and the grease/vaseleine will stop it sticking,Simply apply grease or vaseleine and screw down...If it is a racing yacht then contact Sail -Sec or Housemartins and they will sell you some deck hatch material or simply get some fablon....thats what I use

Dave

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:53:33 am »

Hello C&B it is a yacht!
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.