Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Oxfordshire  (Read 1105 times)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
Hello from Oxfordshire
« on: December 23, 2018, 08:47:20 am »

Hi, just signed up to this to try and refresh my memory about all things small and boat-shaped! I've been making models most of my life, apart from the last ten years or so when moving back to the UK (from Finland) and getting involved in music have taken all my time.

But as we all know, once the bug has bitten the itch never really goes away, so I have just bought a used model on eBay (still need to make a 200 mile round trip to collect it) to get me back into the swing of things while I decide what to build.

Back in the 90s I attended quite a few shows - Beale Park, Greenwich Maritime Museum, etc., often with my Deans Motor Gun Boat, and met some great people; hopefully I will become reacquainted with them next year.

I live near Witney in Oxfordshire, so plan to wander along to the Oxford club's lake sometime and see what goes on there. My previous local water was Black Park.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 05:39:26 pm »

Hello DaveI Not far away in Abingdon.
Beale park show and the Greenwich shown are long long gone .
Oxford model boat club is good. I think scale sailing is the first sunday of any month but check there website.
We still have Howes models and Chelthnam model centre will not to far from you. They dont do boats but good for glue paint etc .
John

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:06:29 pm »

Hi John, I'm about halfway between Abingdon and Witney. Plenty of waters around here, might be worth approaching a few people and setting something up.

I knew the Greenwich shows didn't last, but sorry to hear the Beale Park shows are no longer going on, they were good.

I'll make contact with the Oxford club after all this Christmas stuff is out of the way. I think they sail at Hinksey, not been there for about 50 years!

I was in Howes yesterday, not quite the shop I used to spend my pocket money in on the Broad, but still managed to come home with a kit. I was talking to a mate in the pub this afternoon who fancies a trip over to Cheltenham next month, so I'll take a look when we go. He's more into the railway side than the marine, though.

Cheers, Dave

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:16:47 pm »

Hi DaveHowes have change a lot from no 10 Broad street. They are still a good shop. Cheltenham is more geared up to railways.
Oxford sail at Hinksey lake every sunday. Note you have to pay for the park on a sunday thanks to OCC. If you join the club I think you get a pass.
John

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 07:22:52 pm »

I lived in Oxford until I was 12 or 13, then moved away and after living in various places, found myself in Standlake for the last 5 or 6 years. On balance, it's not a bad place to be.

Is Hinksey the nearest place to sail for us West Oxfordians? It's not that far, but I do my best to avoid Oxford if I can! Quite a few gravel pits round here used for fishing and leisure boating, might be room for a low-key model club as well.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »

Hi DaveOxford model boat club is the nearest I know of . I am not a member at the moment due to being away so much ,I sail In Abingdon in the marina .
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.