Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New workshop (another on here)  (Read 1997 times)

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
New workshop (another on here)
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:20:00 pm »

Well 18 months ago I took the decision to move out of London and move to a greener and less populated part of Essex where I could have a larger property with some land. I left my workshop at the last home I was going to take it with me but the new purchases saw it and wanted it left with the house so I begrudgingly agreed. Anyway over this long hot summer I needed another workshop I have been renting a 20ft container on a farm close by that has all my workshop equipment in and some motorcycles costing me £120 a month so I needed my new workshop ASAP. My garden has a slight incline front to back and the old boy I bought the property from used the back of the garden to dump everything even an old anderson air raid shelter! Being a stone's throw from North Weald Aerodrome used in WW2 I think it was highly probable the shelter would come in use. So I hired a mini digger and dumper and removed 17 yards of soil for a flat base, I was going to build an 8metre x 4metre cabin for my man cave.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: New workshop (another on here)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:50:40 am »

With plenty of space and access, why not just buy an old shipping container of your own? They can be had relatively cheaply, clad this inside with plywood and you have in instant very secure workshop. You can even get them with windows already installed (think on site offices for building sites)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:51:07 pm »

They are a bit ugly though a cabin is a nice addition it's how i got round a really difficult local planning officer who shares it with me in summer doing her cross stitch. :-)
badly raised and ill mannered.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:21:26 am »

As they say no mater how big the space is you will all ways find items to fill it. {-)  I see that you are near too North Weald so if Wings and Wheels is still running you could be buying more items to help fill up the new workshop.

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:13:22 pm »

Tony23 - at 32 sq. m. your planned workshop is subject to building regulations, which can cause an awful lot of hassle.  Suggest you reduce the area to 29.99 sq. m. when it will be exempt.
Gordon

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:25:50 pm »

Tony23 - at 32 sq. m. your planned workshop is subject to building regulations, which can cause an awful lot of hassle.  Suggest you reduce the area to 29.99 sq. m. when it will be exempt.

Being a builder I know what regs I need the building is under 2.4metres high and under 50 sq. m in area it also has to be 1m from each boundary wall so all approved..

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 11:28:41 pm »

As they say no mater how big the space is you will all ways find items to fill it. {-)  I see that you are near too North Weald so if Wings and Wheels is still running you could be buying more items to help fill up the new workshop.

although Wings & wheels is literally on my doorstep I have not been over there for what must be 20 years although there is a very nice large scale aeromodelling club that uses the site on Sundays.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 11:37:47 pm »

With plenty of space and access, why not just buy an old shipping container of your own? They can be had relatively cheaply, clad this inside with plywood and you have in instant very secure workshop. You can even get them with windows already installed (think on site offices for building sites)

Could not consider a container there just awful also not wide enough for what I want plus my garden is 280ft long with no rear access so the logistics of cranening it in is a no no, has anybody seen this idea though for a container its interesting..

https://youtu.be/R3s0e_3i1hM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 08:38:48 am »

We use a couple of 20 foot containers for club storage they are the standard 8' 6" square.  Cheap ones may well have minute holes due to salt water corrosion.  I am not sure they are a good idea as workshops unless desparate. 

I designed a small workshop some, no, many years ago!  There was an unintended consequence however.  I wanted good light so lots of windows.  I made a place for my magnifying lens on a flexible arm, when out out of use it was upright, but the setting sun went straight into the lens and anything wooden nearby had a brown circular burn, only two boats got caught this way.
If you do your own build, then double glazed windows, just the glass, are quite cheap.

regards

Roy

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 11:52:26 am »

Started with the first one and turned it into the second one.  Sorted.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.