Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crew for Aeronaut Bella  (Read 1577 times)

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Crew for Aeronaut Bella
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:23:28 am »

Hi, as a lazybones I have purchased a ready-built example of the Bella as a first sailing boat. I enjoy adding detail to models and am thinking of adding a couple of crew figures.
Not sure as to scale, model is about 32” and looks a bit like an Eventide, so I am thinking about 24’ full size. Would that be about 1/10 scale?
I am also toying with the idea of fitting an outboard motor (never having controlled a sailing boat)
So any suggestions for crew figures and observations as to motors (have seen the Aeronaut Mini outboard, and Graupner retro outboard, which looks great in pics but is probably too big)
All comments welcome.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Crew for Aeronaut Bella
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 10:35:19 am »

1:10 is about right, 1:12 figures would be easier to fit and probably more available. 
Personally, on a working sail model, I would avoid anything above deck that is not strictly needed, both from the point of view of snagging running lines and unwanted weight where it definately is not wanted.  Full size, the crew moves about and enhances the ballast while avoiding the rigging.  Less so on a model.
I am not in favour of the extra weight, complication and drag that turning a sail yacht into a motor sailer involves.  Properly set up, a sail only boat will continue to move as long as there is moving air for it, even if the air is not moving very fast.  If the look of an outboard is wanted, a very light plastic dummy one is the best bet.  Several years back, I spotted one (probably about the right size) in one of the high street bargain stores in the toy section on the back of an inflatable RIB.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 11:31:37 am »

Thanks for a prompt reply on Xmas Day, hope you are enjoying it. The model is to be a trainer and the motor was intended to allow to make up for inexperience. I don’t want to pierce the hull with an inboard and an ob can be removed at any time. Aeronaut market the Aquarace Mini which costs about £15 but is not available in the UK, so cannot be inspected. There is a very cheap type for £6 but they are not suited to remote control, just toys.
The “proper” obs designed for brushless motors are probably too big,
Figures are also removable, so might be suitable for some voyages and not others, but all good fun.

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 11:29:04 pm »

if your looking fro crew this is the best place I have seen so far https://www.crew-aboard.com/main_bigware_29.php?language=en

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 10:14:09 am »

Hi Hotglove, if you are getting the Bella more scale like then the seats without lockers underneath are wrong.  They should be boxed in and the various parts of the seats would then be raised to give access to ready use lockers.  These are for ropes and fenders.  If you have the risidual wood from the kit there is enough spare deck laminated wood sheet to make new seats, looks nice and matches the deck well.

Fenders are tied when in use to a cleat or more usually to a stanchion wire with a half hitch knot.  If you fit stanchions then allow for them to be about 27 inches high full size, you have to be able to easily put a leg over for mooring up / getting on board.  Typical use is to straddle them for support and hang onto a mast shroud.

There are a lot of winches missing and on either side of the door you would look to find a bag to hold the spare rope sheets from the sails.  These would match the cushions for the seats, every small yacht has removable waterproof cushions.  Also the floor would usually have duckboards raising your feet a couple of inches above the floor to avoid getting wet feet.

Navigation lights are usually up aloft and a single all purpose light does the job.
The ready made figures are expensive I only occasionally fit, they are difficult to find.  Most are too bulky.  Think of a bloke wearing a waterproof jacket with a small life vest over it.  Do not put him in and old fashioned Sou'wester hat.  A cap with a small peak bright colour and providing shade for the ears, they get sunburn.

The rudder tiller may be fixed on your boat, I would suggest any new builds put the rudder under the tiller, can't think why it is where it is, it is easy enough to fit a servo in the rear compartment and make a hatch.  While doing helm duty the helmsman will have sight of navigational instruments.  Namely  Compass, Apparent wind direction, Speed in knots possibly from dragging a log line or maybe one fitted in the hull.  More likely today actual speed from a satelite.  For real detail each will have a hanging waterproof cover when in use.

Most yachts would have an anchor (Danforth) probably in a hatch at the bow but make sure there are good cleats up there as well, often there is a Samson Post up in the bow, this is a strong point on the yacht where you could take a tow if necessary.
Personally I would say do not fit an outboard, I have sailed model yachts for many years and logically, would you bother going out to sail if there was no wind?  If you go aground an outboard will not help.

I hope to be full size sailing with my son in Feb/March 2019, we will probably sail down to Sydney and stay at the yacht club (which serves wonderful food!!!) and get to sail under the Bridge and into the National Park area which is lovely and quiet.

At this very moment this is where he is, waiting to line up and moor in Sydney Harbour to watch the New Year fireworks display.  They are 11 hours ahead of us.

My Bella is a completely different sail configuration,  I am in Hertfordshire and if you ever come this way let me know and we could get a sail in.  Likewise Black Park near Slough.
Kind regards,
 Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 10:45:34 am »

Hi Hotglove you mentioned Eventide, interesting, not many know of them.

They are mainly plans for self build yachts.  Going back to 1975 I scratch built a Gooseander 27 it was a free pullout plan in Yachting Monthly, and she is almost scale  at 1 inch to the foot.  I had to carefully increase the displacement but she sails very well.

Not had her sailing though for 20 odd years but my son says I am not allowed to dispose of her.  If I can find a photo I will post it.
kind regards Roy

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:58:16 am »

if your looking fro crew this is the best place I have seen so far https://www.crew-aboard.com/main_bigware_29.php?language=en

Pity they don't do 1:12 though, as that is what I want.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:43:55 pm »

I worked in a boatyard for a couple of years building 14, 17 and 21 foot sailing cruisers and later worked in a yacht chandlers. One of the chandlery customers built an Eventide with a slightly higher cabin roof to give full standing headroom, he then lived on board the Eventide, with occasional holiday voyages while he converted an E boat into a house boat. I remember helping to move the E boat to its permanent mooring with the aid of three British Seagull outboards attached to a scaffold board, very Heath Robinson.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 21 queries.