Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: model boats and families  (Read 1402 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
model boats and families
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:52:58 am »

Hi all, as the Sec' of a club it is noticeable that our members are in the main sole model builders, perhaps no history of it and probably no progeny carrying on the good work.
My first contact with model boats was an uncle by marriage and I was probably only 5 or 6.  He was making a warship about 2 feet long from a metal hull someone had made for him and it was proposed to be clockwork.  My interest must have been noticed as that Christmas I was given a rather splendid model yacht. This was towards the end of WW2. 

My son has a passing interest in model boats but as he does it full size perhaps the drive is not there.  However he does have a model railway.

No one else in the family does anything similar.  And so it seems also in our club, model engineering and whatever.  There are maybe three exceptions where we have in one case 3 generations of interest otherwise mainly it is operating a parents builds, however 90% end up unlooked at in the garage.

How about your family?  Also fellow model boaters, are we just a biological dead end?  Are we a gene combination with limited use?

An essential  ingredient is either associated training or contact and an interest from an adult.

What is your situation?  What will happen to your model boats when you shuffle off?

Regards to all and a Happy New Year.
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: model boats and families
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:57:42 pm »

Sorry, can't help you.

As soon as I mention 'model boats'..... I'm not sure it's not actually possible for the wife & daughter to roll their eyes any more dramatically!  {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

taucher

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »

Depends on the model boats. with local reference Local museums are not averse.

With brass sign is a monument

Ralph

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »

My father was a fantastic model engineer, I think he passed the modelling bug onto me and my son is also quite a keen modeller too.
Might be in the genes, but who knows?
As for the my model collection, I think my wife has a buyer for them already O0 .
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 03:39:50 pm »

Does anyone know a nursing home that takes in boat modellers and their collection ?
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:09:34 pm »

perhaps its time to open one, with a nice big pond, maybe someone should sell the idea to churchill retirement homes or mccarthy and stone.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:53:06 pm »

Probably depends where you are in the country. I think the reduction of industry and practical fields of work has a lot to do with it. Appears to be better supported in the north where you still have a larger industrial base.

Lots of other factors too. Practical skills no longer taught in schools, modelmaking gets a bad PR from the popular press, increases in rules and regulations. Some folk in this hobby don't help either, I have come across certain individuals so condescending and downright misanthropic, they make me wonder why they bother to join anything that's supposed to be sociable.

I got my interest in modelmaking from my Dad. I have uncles who did a bit of modelmaking and tried to encourage cousins, but none of them continued with it.

I'm North London based, for model boaters, there are a couple of ponds close by- Broomfield park, and Highgate pond. You occasionally see a bit of activity at these places, but it's a bit erratic, and in the case of Broomfield, the water is now poorly maintained by Enfield's local authority. Highgate is a screaming nightmare to park, being a well heeled area it's residents only parking and double yellows everywhere.

I was a member of North London Society of Model Engineers for many years, and they have a nice if small, boating pond at their site in Colney Heath. However it's primarily railway focused with marine always a bit poorly supported, and they stopped formal meetings over a decade ago. I believe a few modellers meet up for a sail on weekdays, not much good unless you're retired.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.