Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help identifying eBay purchase  (Read 2945 times)

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
Help identifying eBay purchase
« on: December 27, 2018, 06:15:07 pm »

I am sure that many people here will know what this is, unfortunately, I am not one of them! I've been away from the hobby for the last 25 years or so, and have bought a couple of boats on eBay to see of it still appeals to me. I collected the first today from a lad and his dad in Staffordshire, bad day to choose as what should have been under two hours each way was over three due to the holiday traffic! Anyway, I got it home safely, and it does look well built, fitted with a couple of small Turnigy outrunners and water-cooled reversing ESCs. All I need to add is a receiver and drive battery.

The young chap's grandfather built the boat from a kit, but neither he nor his father (both very pleasant and helpful people) knew which kit it was. Styrene hull, approx 3ft long, the pictures should tell the rest of the story. Apparently, they to sail her at Rugeley.

I may well be wrong, but to me the props look a little too 'racy' for this type of vessel, or do the torquey Outrunners prefer a lot of pitch?
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Help identifying eBay purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 06:23:45 pm »

Billing Samson II -  https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43160.msg435830.html#msg435830

Looks a nice one too..... except for the racing motors and props!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 06:30:22 pm »

Thank you! But that is embarrassing, as I bought and started one of these some 25 years or more ago but sold it unfinished when I left the country. I really ought to have recognised it. Then again, it obviously still appealed to me or I wouldn't have bought it (again).

RST

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 06:31:08 pm »

Yes as Martin says 100% identification there.  But I suspect someone may have thought it was supposed to be a fast boat rather than a workboat.  The props look a bit "fast" and they seem to have extended the rudder?  Perhaps they saw the hard chines on the hull and thought it was supposed to plane.

Cheers,

Rich

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:31:51 pm »

Billing Samson II -  https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43160.msg435830.html#msg435830

Looks a nice one too..... except for the racing motors and props!

Would I be better off changing the motors and the props, or just the props (which is obviously the easier option!)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:33:58 pm »

Try it first before doing anything to it!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 06:35:11 pm »

I did wonder about the extended rudder as well, I would rather it was as originally intended, so perhaps a re-motor with a pair of simple brushed motors and suitable props would be best before sailing her, as well as a standard rudder.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »

Hi Davenice boat . I made one of these yeasr ago.
I would ditch the propelers and replace with some nice 3 bladers brass props. Thoes are racing props .
On the motor front all I can see on the lable is Turnegy. Good make All depends on what KV thoes motors are . The part number is to small to make out. That will let you know the motor speckes mught need google. Did it come with a battery ?
John

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:45:40 pm »

They are Turnigy D2836/8 1100kv, and I'm hoping that a pair of 35mm 3 blade standard props will tame them enough to avoid having to replace them. I did think it odd that the motor mount and ESCs were all water cooled for a what looked like a fairly sedate scale boat!

No batteries included, he was using a pair of LiPo packs, but there is a large chunk of lead under the battery compartment, so I should be able  to put some of that back on the local church roof and use useful weight instead!

If worst comes to the worst, I'll replace them with standard 385s and flog the brushless stuff on.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 09:12:19 pm »

Hi DaveGogle show that Motor can run from a 2s 7.4v to 4s 14.8v LIPO so at 7.4x1100 = 8140 rpm or at 7.2v Nicad 7920 rpm. so not to wild
Samason can not take a great deal of weight so done think about putting in a big SLA battery .I would change the props like you said a pair of 35mm should be fine . 385 might struggle with the 35mm props . Run her on new props and see how she sails .
John

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 09:26:34 pm »

I'll pop over to Howes on the weekend and see what they have. I'll be using NiMHs and removing a bit of the lead from under the battery area to compensate. I think it'll be a good looking model on the water at a scale-like speed.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 09:43:29 pm »

Not sure I understand the concept of the water cooling system.........

Taking the inlet cooling water into the speed controller heat exchanger [reduce thermal gradient - heat buildup] then send the [warmish] discharge water to a second aluminium block heat exchanger to conduct this heat load to the aluminium angle bracket & transfer this heat to the brushless motors :o  ....before final [assumed] overboard discharge   

Could this be for use in the near frozen waters of Norway?....[sorry Sweden] ....and so keep the motors warm? :-X
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 11:07:01 pm »

Try it first before doing anything to it...... you may be pleasantly surprised  :-))

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 06:59:12 am »

I'll get some smaller props and try it with both.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 08:32:59 am »

the Billing Calypso model with her vast expanse of freeboard was notorious for turning turtle at speed when people put in too big a motor and propeller each shaft and then tried executing a turn at high speed, and this was in days long before the brushless scene.

this model is of similar full displacement design  but high freeboard and I could easily see the same happening if you use brushless motors....but just my humble opinion as usual O0

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 01:01:01 pm »

I bought a pair of 35mm standard 3 bladed props for this boat today, as well as some radio gear, batteries and charger, so hopefully will be on the water in a week or two.

I bought these at Howes on my way back from collecting my other eBay purchase, a Billings Polar trawler, and ended up buying a Robbe police boat from the chap selling the trawler as well, so I've plenty to keep me busy for a while now!

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 11:59:51 am »

Managed to clear enough space upstairs to have a good look at the Samson. I've removed the rudder extension, as I can imagine it being rather twitchy otherwise, and have discovered that in the conversion to brushless (probably post original build judging by the signs of older motor mounts where they should be) the shafts have been raised inside the boat, altering the prop angle by 10-15 degrees. I will try it on the water as soon as I can, and see whether that has any detrimental effect. I can see me not being happy until it is in original spec!

Good looking model, though, so worth putting a little time and effort into it.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 12:32:57 pm »

I can see me not being happy until it is in original spec!
Good looking model, though, so worth putting a little time and effort into it.

I always go with the old statement...…….if it ain't broke...…...don't try and "mend" it

most things were designed for their optimum performance and running and I always wonder why people change things...….mostly for the worse.

I would hate to see brushless in a classic old lifeboat and then reach a speed that was totally unrealistic.

I am glad that others feel the same way......keep it simple as designed for...…..keep it best.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 06:10:31 pm »

Started fiddling around with the model this afternoon, and have now removed the brushless motors and controllers, and both shafts. I have re-fettled one to snug down at a better angle and will to the other in the morning.

I'll re-motor with a pair of standard brushed motors and seal up the inlet and outlet holes from the water cooling.

Any suggestions as to what motors would best suit it? approx 36" long, twin shafts, not really interested in making it perform in anything other than a scale like manner. I'm thinking of something like a pair of 385s, but as most of my modelling experience has been around ic engines, I need a little guidance with these electrical devices.

Dave

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 08:38:01 pm »

Pair of 555 motors should do the job, nemesis

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 09:32:21 pm »

After several more hours of searching, I found a manual for the kit, which suggests that 385s should be fine. It also revealed that the reason the shafts had installed at the wrong angle was that they were 12mm too far forward! Nearly finished correcting that now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.