Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly a Ferry Storey  (Read 7305 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Possibly a Ferry Storey
« on: December 30, 2018, 07:07:43 pm »

It is reported that the Government, in it's wisdom, has awarded the contract for a new vehicle ferry service from Ramsgate to Ostend (No Deal Brexit Emergency ) to a new company who have never run a ferry service before and are unsure what they are going to do for ships. Tis the pantomime season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46704522
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Possibly a Ferry Storey
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 07:38:45 pm »

Yes, based on previous efforts to resurrect the Ramsgate service the Government have almost certainly been conned - but what's new?

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »

What a JOKE the bbc is . Had there so called reporter done any home work he would have seen Seabourn Freight is nothing more than a website . They never had a boat and never will. This has been an on going joke for years now and is well know in ferry circiles . Next ramsgate get a ferry . Harbour has not been derdged since TEF went bust . Biggest ship TEF had was Oleander a 3rd gen ferry. Most morden ferries dwaf her so they will ground out . Be intresting to see if the linkspan still works.
Brittany ferries are to run an extra 19 sailings each week over 3 routes . Be intresting to see what boats they are going to use . As there only freight roro is on long therm charter to Stena due to it not beening required
I dont belive a word of that storey , about standered lies for the bbc

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 08:23:00 pm »

Brittany Ferries have put out a statement confirming the arrangements using their existing fleet to provide additional sailings (their ships all accommodate freight). However I believe some of the sailings are Plymouth Roscoff which isn't going to be very attractive to hauliers using Dover Calais.

Anyway, it isn't about ferries really. The intention is to divert freight from Dover/Calais to reduce customs checks delays by using alternative ports. Same amount of freight but any additions on the Western Channel routes means that the Dover/Calais ships will be sailing correspondingly empty.

Plus of course any time savings hauliers might make at the alterntive ports are likely to be cancelled out by increased driving time on both sides of the Channel plus there is the extra fuel used by the lorries.

Usual ill thought out shambles unfortunately, just like plugging smart meters in homes that can't get a signal or cease to work if you change supplier. Total waste of money but there are boxes to be ticked so that's OK then!

It's only taxpayer's money after all.

Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 08:54:27 pm »

I have to agree with you there Colin.  Being an ex European truck driver Ramsgate offers no real benefits for the transport industry.  In Dover ferries sail every hour and in Folkestone the train goes more often than I can remember.  I can see long delays on both the roads and ferries at Ramsgate so I can't see many companies using it.

The other issue is Kent county council. They have banned all truck parking in lay-bys and industrial estates around the south coast and they clamp trucks that do.  Unfortunately there still is no alternatives as Stop 24 and Ashford truckstop are woefully inadequate for the amount of freight that rolls through the county.  I gave it all up because it the hassle just was not worth it anymore.  This really needs all of the concerned parties to get together and solve the issue for the long term.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:08:24 pm »

Brittany Ferries have put out a statement confirming the arrangements using their existing fleet to provide additional sailings (their ships all accommodate freight). However I believe some of the sailings are Plymouth Roscoff which isn't going to be very attractive to hauliers using Dover Calais.

Anyway, it isn't about ferries really. The intention is to divert freight from Dover/Calais to reduce customs checks delays by using alternative ports. Same amount of freight but any additions on the Western Channel routes means that the Dover/Calais ships will be sailing correspondingly empty.

Plus of course any time savings hauliers might make at the alterntive ports are likely to be cancelled out by increased driving time on both sides of the Channel plus there is the extra fuel used by the lorries.

Usual ill thought out shambles unfortunately, just like plugging smart meters in homes that can't get a signal or cease to work if you change supplier. Total waste of money but there are boxes to be ticked so that's OK then!

It's only taxpayer's money after all.

Colin
Brittany ferries do not have long lay overs in port . So yes may be a few extra sails a week say 3 to 5 but thats a lot short of 19 like the bbc quoted. For that number you need one of two options . Drop the Spanish routes and move them on to the short crossing. Spanish routes make Brittany a lot of money . Two new or chartered tonnage. Hornflur is being built but she still a long way off. The two E flexs are being built and they are still a long way off . Yes they have the new charter conamarear on the Irish run  ,but she ant going to make 19 return runns. It pure BBC bs

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 12:44:48 am »

BF's own website carries the statement re 19 extra sailings - check it out!

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 12:27:53 pm »

The Port of Ramsgate "can not be ready" for extra ferry services in the event of a no-deal Brexit, according to the councillor for the harbour area
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46774054

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 01:55:45 pm »

They started dredging the ferry terminal at Ramsgate last week.

Whether it’ll be ready in time, who knows...

Lance

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 05:30:36 pm »

They started dredging the ferry terminal at Ramsgate last week.

Whether it’ll be ready in time, who knows...

Lance

They have opted to use a water injection dredger rather than a scoop and barge away operation . With this the dredger blasts holes in the mud and sand with high pressure hats and relies on the tide to carry the emulsion away to just outside the harbour .  Looking at the amount of silting up in the harbour doubt has been expressed if this will be effective, particularly as it was the tide which brought in and deposited the silt in the first place.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 08:41:49 pm »

I did not type " high pressure hats "!  Its the rotten predictive text software getting involved where it is not wanted.  Read :- high pressure JETS.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:29:24 am »

If high pressure jets create an emulsion which tidal flow takes out of the harbour, do we not end up with a nice deep harbour with a great big sandbank guarding the entrance?
Assuming that ships magically appear to provide services via the "new" ports, where are the trained staff coming from in the required timescale?  It probably takes a lot longer to train up a member of the field staff to be effective than it does to train a manager.  Or a Minister.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 01:45:11 pm »

They are today giving residents in the Manston Ramsgate area  a foretaste of what it will be like when 3,360 lorries a day trundle through the town.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 12:08:34 am »

I don't know why Carlmt didn't get the government money! Linkspan Models have loads of ferries and run a ferry business, loads better than this company, for goodness sake!  %%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 07:53:18 am »

They have opted to use a water injection dredger rather than a scoop and barge away operation . With this the dredger blasts holes in the mud and sand with high pressure hats and relies on the tide to carry the emulsion away to just outside the harbour .  Looking at the amount of silting up in the harbour doubt has been expressed if this will be effective, particularly as it was the tide which brought in and deposited the silt in the first place.

looking at that photo you can see a sandbar between the two breakwater ends at the outer entrance to start with, now from memory when a friend was hoping to call in at ramsgate about a year back he was concerned that at the entrance to the inner harbour there was only 2m of water at low tide, well in the photo, that looks deeper than the main entrance that the ferry will have to use, he had a similar problem at Brighton, where once he was in the harbour, when he came to depart he had to wait several hours for the tide to rise due to the sandbank across the entrance.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 08:06:51 am »

That really does not look like a harbour that would take a modern ferry. It lacks so many facilities such as adequate jetties & deep water.

If the great success of hard Brexit depends on this I am stocking my food cupboard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 10:25:12 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 12:11:18 pm »

it does have a linkspan, thats about all that can be said for it.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 12:18:40 pm »

and I suppose its handy for Manston airport where they will be holding trucks for dover,

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »

The linkspan hasn't been used for years though.Colin

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 12:48:20 pm »

All this hulabaloo over Brexit all the Panic is making me laugh really,can someone please explain to me how we as nation managed to survive Before we joined the common market.

Yes I fully AGREE with everyone's comments before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick AGAIN !!!!!!!!!! That is is laughable how the company who hasn’t got any Ferries let alone somewhere to land them has been awarded a contract to run them that is unbelevable in its  own right.....What concerns me is WHY all the panic over More lorries arriving at the port and customs intervention etc...

EASY solution and it is SO SO OBVIOUS but No one can think anymore....When Port is FULL simply call ferry company up on dog and bone...(telephone ) and say stop no more till we cleared the backlog.....Oh YES I see it now ....All forms of communication will obviously be Lost with Brexit PMSL

Dave

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 01:05:48 pm »

ah but you are using words like easy, sensible and obvious. where would they be if they did any of that.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 06:38:29 pm »

Reminder, this topic is about shipping, not politics.... even though it is.  {:-{ :police:

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:57 pm »

Latest computer simulation of Navigational Aids for non Collision {-)

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:14 pm »

WHOOPS>

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.