Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly a Ferry Storey  (Read 7304 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Possibly a Ferry Storey
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 09:45:06 pm »

Thanks Baldrick  :-)) .......that would certainly save a few turns of the wheel ..............

So could they then just use reverse gear to exit port? ...[just imagine the cry from the Bridge..... look Mum......No hands..{-) ]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:47 pm »

Sorry, but without going political I've watched this post from day one but at what point does it relate to a "storey"?  I was originally thinking an extra deck was being added to some ferries or summit, but obviously not.  I've been in the marine / offshore industry for almost 20 years now, I don't know enough about dredging ops or logistics (nevermind the logistics nightmare of lean manufacturing we seem to fully embrace now) to contribute meaningfully.  As for a new start company being awarded a contract, I am not so niave to believe in company names these days.  I trust less I seen on news, very little I see on forums and absolutely nothing I see on social media these days, the truth is hidden somewhere else.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 07:10:42 am »

I don't know what the fuss is about either - according to the latest news regarding the latest Brexit fiasco, with no deal we wont be able to buy anything from Europe, for example the JLR ceo stated they have been stockpiling parts (even though the Chinese have bought a third less vehicles and its declining) and in April this stockpile would only last days - at the rate the Chinese are reducing their purchases their stockpile will last months not days, and if we are unable to buy from the Europe then there is only a fraction of trucks coming across if any, so any extra time needed at the port in and out will be negated.  %)

Any sane person knows that, we WILL still be able to buy stuff from Europe even without a deal - it'll just cost more, if they spent more time on simplifying the customs paperwork that would speed transit, the ferries then would still be able to transit in the same timescales, though if I was a MOD minister I would suggest fitting the ferries with a x ray machine and scan the lorries on board whist transiting (no one is allowed on the car or freight deck whilst at sea) - same for the chunnel (drivers sit in a carriage so the vehicle is available to be scanned), paperwork could be inspected and cleared whilst also on board - same for chunnel - and if its done on line then staff at an office anywhere could check it, any suspicious vehicle is directed to secondary and if they are concerned about cooking illegals then they only have to ensure that the trucks are bombarded with megaphone messages in the queue for different nationals to warn them.

But thats just my opinion (by the way sorry, martin it's still about ferries and how a possible way to overcome their expected hold up)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »

Extra ferries, Ramsgate and lorries at Manston are all just panic reactions by the Government (at our expense) wanting to show it is doing something.

It has been reported that the proposed additional ferry capacity, even assuming that the non existent Ramsgate vessels actually materialise, will amount to just 10% of the traffic through Dover so they will make very little difference.

Moreover, those hauliers who divert to the alternative ports will be faced with driving perhaps a hundred miles or more out of their normal way to board a ferry that is likely to take three times or more longer to cross the channel miles away from Calais so their delay from source to destination compared with present journey times will be many hours at the very least in which case they might be better simply bunking up on the M20 and saving fuel.

Almost certainly what will happen initially is that the lorries which are normally effectively ‘waved through’ will continue to be so until such time as  updated systems for dealing with customs checks can be brought into force. This must have been obvious immediately the Brexit vote took place but the Government have done nothing to address the issue and have now run out of time if we do in fact leave at the end of March (Article 50 may of course be extended)

Checks for illegal migrants occur anyway on all traffic so the situation will not change in that respect.There will only be problems if people on either side of the Channel actually make them happen! So it is likely that the whole thing will be a total bodge as one might expect from politicians who make or abstain from decisions with no idea of the practical effects.

The Law of Unintended Consequences is having a field day! I think the dredger at Ramsgate sums it up nicely. ‘If you are in a hole the best thing is to STOP digging’  %)

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 04:26:42 pm »

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 07:19:44 am »

The Government have now concluded it was a pretty daft idea and have dumped the whole project. Ah well    O0
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 07:40:20 am »

The Government have now concluded it was a pretty daft idea and have dumped the whole project. Ah well    O0

BCC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47182361
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 02:05:31 pm »

Not entirely. "A spokesman said: "The government is already in advanced talks with a number of companies to secure additional freight capacity - including through the Port of Ramsgate - in the event of a no-deal Brexit."
To paraphrase an expression which has been well used in this whole sorry affair, it seems that a bad idea is better than no idea.  ok2
DM

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 06:28:14 pm »

Not entirely. "A spokesman said: "The government is already in advanced talks with a number of companies to secure additional freight capacity - including through the Port of Ramsgate - in the event of a no-deal Brexit."
To paraphrase an expression which has been well used in this whole sorry affair, it seems that a bad idea is better than no idea.  ok2
DM

Yes, but the negotiations referred to are with companies who actually have real boats unlike  Seaborne Freight

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:58 pm »

The Isle of Wight ferry probably.
This whole business is rubbish. It isn't extra ferry capacity that is needed, the existing ones are quite adequate. What the Government is actually looking for is additional port capacity and lorry marshalling space to mitigate potential delays caused by the need for additional customs checks. Basically they just need extra parking!

Utter incompetence at all levels starting with Chris Grayling. (Sorry for the politics Martin!)
Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 07:50:29 pm »

Colin you are spot on - not only extra parking but all of the facilities that go along with it too

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 05:58:37 am »

BBC: Government sued over no-deal ferry contracts
  -  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47206303
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 11:56:13 am »

I found this bit quite funny
After Seaborne's contract collapsed Mr Grayling faced calls for his resignation, with Labour accusing him of "rewriting the textbook on incompetence.".

But Prime Minister Theresa May has said she continues to have full confidence in him.
Usually when the prime minister backs someone they usually end up resigning or being replaced - always thinks he a smirking snivelling man, bit like Jeremy Hunt

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Possibly a Ferry Story
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 03:51:32 pm »

After Seaborne's contract collapsed Mr Grayling faced calls for his resignation, with Labour accusing him of "rewriting the textbook on incompetence.".

But Prime Minister Theresa May has said she continues to have full confidence in him.
Usually when the prime minister backs someone they usually end up resigning or being replaced - always thinks he a smirking snivelling man, bit like Jeremy Hunt
From past observation of several Prme Ministers, whenever a PM states categorically that "The Minister has my full confidence", he or she has until the following weekend to get their office belongings into a cardboard box.  At one time a competent and/or trustworthy replacement who had not yet been caught with his fingers either in the till or anywhere else they should not have been was always ready to hand.  Today, less so.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 04:02:24 pm »

That is inevitably the kiss of death

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:47 pm »

That is inevitably the kiss of death
Somehow an image of Mrs May in a passionate clinch with Mr Grayling came to mind - it's quite put me off me tea!
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 09:05:22 pm »

:police:

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 09:13:44 am »

Martin - you put the link up  O0

Anyway - on another subject and not related - have you been watching the Martin Clunes islands of America - in the first he went to Hawaii - and went to your favourite shop - it had 15000 - yes 15 thousand hawaiian shirts and they still makes new versions every year, clearly they haven't seen your collection  %% , I'll get me hawaiian print coat

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2019, 02:17:07 pm »

BBC: Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414699

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2019, 02:23:02 pm »

BBC: Government pays Eurotunnel £33m over Brexit ferry case https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414699

They won't be worried , it's not their money they are  squandering
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.