Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GM DIESEL ENGINES  (Read 2326 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
GM DIESEL ENGINES
« on: December 24, 2018, 08:16:07 pm »

Have just been watching Kellys Heros for the umpteenth time and was listening to the sound of the Sherman tanks engines...…...and they sounded very similar to the Tyne class lifeboats engines...…….

Could the Tyne's V6 GM
6V-92 or the Detroit Diesel 92 DDEC six-cylinder engines of 565 bhp, be a descendant of this motor......  GM 6046 diesel (conjoined 6-71s) fitted to the wartime Sherman M4A2
anyone in the know have such knowledge of such matters.........

If so the engines have retained that glorious deep growl so distinctive of both vehicles.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GM DIESEL ENGINES
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 10:20:30 pm »

They are two stroke I think, hence the noise
Jim

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:11:16 am »

GM Detroit are two stroke used to be fitted Euclid dump trucks and Motor scrapers ,some had air start ,Ahh the good old days when thy could be repaired with hand tools and not laptops .
 Merry Christmas one and all .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 08:27:42 am »

GM Detroit are two stroke used to be fitted Euclid dump trucks and Motor scrapers ,some had air start ,Ahh the good old days when thy could be repaired with hand tools and not laptops .
 Merry Christmas one and all .
David

…………….and a good mechanic understood what the problem was and how to fix it.

The service manager at my local dealer was telling me that it often now costs more to find out what the problem is than it does to fix it. There is also the problem that the only way to eliminate the problem being a particular part is to replace it and see what happens. Gets expensive when they are on their second + guess.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 11:40:49 am »

When my A6 had an issue with its central locking in one door, Audi under warranty replaced the entire door  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 12:49:23 pm »

Which is one reason for escalating insurance costs. My daughter has just had the rear quarter panel of her car repaired following someone unknown running into it in a car park. Tiny scratch on the rear light assembly which was barely noticeable but whole unit replaced and the old one given back to her. I have suggested she puts it on Ebay.
Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 12:57:21 pm »

Which is one reason for escalating insurance costs. My daughter has just had the rear quarter panel of her car repaired following someone unknown running into it in a car park. Tiny scratch on the rear light assembly which was barely noticeable but whole unit replaced and the old one given back to her. I have suggested she puts it on Ebay.
Colin

Good idea. It will help recoup some of the extra that she will be paying on her insurance premium for the next few years.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »

Neil, In answer to your question: yes and no. The Sherman M4A2 used a GM 6046 "U" engine which consisted of two co-joined 6-71's. In that the 6-91 is more or less a decendent of the 6-71 the sound may be similar, but the 6046 had twice as many cylinders. I have no idea if the firing sequence was different, but the it's possible that the sound varied. Both would have been 2 cycle engines though. Google the Sherman on Wiki and you'll find a link to the 6046 as well.

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »

Good day,

Compliments of the season to all. Just a quick aside (I am not commenting from a position of great knowledge) but what happened to the story that Sherman tanks were equipped with petrol engines - much to the detriment of tank crews - many of whom we were led to believe  were incinerated in their vehicles as a result?

regards John K.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 04:55:00 pm »

The M4A2 variant had a GM diesel engine..

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 06:47:07 pm »

Good day,

Compliments of the season to all. Just a quick aside (I am not commenting from a position of great knowledge) but what happened to the story that Sherman tanks were equipped with petrol engines - much to the detriment of tank crews - many of whom we were led to believe  were incinerated in their vehicles as a result?

regards John K.
The Ronson tank - lights at first touch....

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 08:51:26 pm »

Neil, In answer to your question: yes and no. The Sherman M4A2 used a GM 6046 "U" engine which consisted of two co-joined 6-71's. In that the 6-91 is more or less a decendent of the 6-71 the sound may be similar, but the 6046 had twice as many cylinders. I have no idea if the firing sequence was different, but the it's possible that the sound varied. Both would have been 2 cycle engines though. Google the Sherman on Wiki and you'll find a link to the 6046 as well.

thanks Akira for that very informative reply...…...i'll hang with the "similar" sound, its close enough,..……..but I have to say, there is no sound really that could ever re[place that of a Tyne class lifeboat on full chat...……..thanks again.

neil……….merry Christmas to you and all.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 02:02:57 pm »

Musn't forget the Shermans equiped with a 9 cylinder radial engine, both in petrol and diesel types.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 10:54:15 pm »

I used to drive a Vermeer trencher (a Chainsaw on tracks) with a GMV6 in it. It had to be run flat out as it was gutless at low revs. Howled like a banshee. Great antisocial fun in confined spaces. Probably why I need hearing aids now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.