Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hood funnels  (Read 3274 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Hood funnels
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:25:03 pm »

Hi everyone

I have had the 1/200 scale Trumpeter kit of the HMS Hood for a while and one thing that did annoy me when I found out was that the funnels were different sized which when it pointed out to is so obviously wrong and you can’t help but look at the error.
So I was looking for replacement items and visited Shapeways for inspiration and found a chap called Micro Master who had made replacement funnels using their 3D printers. Whilst not super cheap they are stunning in detail and come in four pieces (upper and lower sections) and I initially was worried about the fit as they seemed almost an interference fit but once lined up they almost click together and the join lin is almost hidden. See what you think...

6-E5-D7264-F421-4-ACA-96-B5-E1-CD4-CA76635" border="0 28846936-61-C9-4272-B948-848-EF84-D35-F5" border="0
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Hood funnels
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:00:58 am »

Who on earth told the kit designers that the funnels were different sizes? It's one of the obvious things you can see. They should have bought an Airfix kit just to check!! Seeing the twin 4inch mounts reminds me of how spacious the upper deck was on the Hood. Nearly every other capital ship design had real problems finding room for all the boats etc, while the Hood just has them neatly set out side by side in their own area out of the way of everything else.

Will this be the subject of your article?
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:54:45 am »

Hi Ian

I have no idea why Trumpeter got it so wrong, especially when their 1/350 is correct in funnel size.

It’s not the subject of the article series I’m writing as it would take longer than the time requested to complete the model- it is a subject close to my Mayhem title!
Nick B

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:43 pm »

If you go to the HMS Hood Association they will tell you everything that's wrong with the kit and how to improve it, try this link.
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter200.htm

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:47:58 pm »

WoW having just read that review it would seem that they got the whole ship totally wrong or is it yet again a sad case of a rivet counter perception YES I agree totally that the funnels are incorrect and Yes they have omitted the rear anchor holes.
Reading that review would be enough to put anyone off buying the model

Dave

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:00:17 pm »

I've just got the 1/700 Trimpeter HMS Hood 1941, which the HMS Hood Association is the most accurate of the models of the ship as sunk for that scale. Some after market PE from Edduard or WEM will improve it no end.
Bulid on hold until I finish my Victor bomber.

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 04:18:52 pm »

Scalewarship also do a replacement funnel with cap, base and photo etch. Only £20 but out of stock at the moment.

https://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=615&search=hood

Reviewed with pictures here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014307-hms-hood-replacement-funnel-set-1200/
Roger

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:39:17 pm »

Who on earth told the kit designers that the funnels were different sizes? It's one of the obvious things you can see. They should have bought an Airfix kit just to check!!

I think that the answer can be found in A Shipyard at War, by Ian Johnson (ISBN 9781848322165) and published by Pen & Sword. On page 110 there is a roughly broad side picture of HMS Repulse fitting out at John Browns in August 1916. To the untrained eye there is little difference between the Repulse and Hood in the way of the funnel’s but, it clear that the aft funnels smaller in diameter than the fore funnel  and has a very similar steam pipe arrangement to that of the Hood.
I would venture therefore to suggest, that someone in the design team has come across this picture on the web, or that the picture is misidentified elsewhere. 

LB

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 05:14:18 pm »

If you go to the HMS Hood Association they will tell you everything that's wrong with the kit and how to improve it, try this link.
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter200.htm

Wow, that is certainly a comprehensive study into the Trumpeter kit and any errors. I can live with some of the errors mentioned, and some are easily corrected as mentioned, but the funnels were the strangest mistake considering that in their 1/350 and 1/700 scale kits show them correctly.
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:19:53 pm »

Reading the review; between the lines I reckon that a new manager had taken over in the mean time and we often know what 'New Brooms' are like. Also, existing references (the reviewer wrote that information was sent each time, so perhaps after each job, the reference materials were disposed of?) were disposed of, and their absence reinforced this manager's opinion that lack of materials suggest the company did alright the first time without the association's help?
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 21 queries.