Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FILE SIZES  (Read 2065 times)

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
FILE SIZES
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:39 am »

Message for a Moderator really.

Why does the Forum only accept very small file sizes? I have just spent ages doing a post only to be told it is too large and it deleted everything I had done. The other Forums I go on accept much bigger file sizes, why not this one?

Not angry, just annoyed at wasting my time.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FILE SIZES
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:19:45 pm »

I have found the Forum always accepts reasonably long text entries as they take up very little space. However if you are trying to include images then there may well be a problem if you are using the files as they come from the camera. See the guidance on the forum re image file sizes.

It's also a good idea to avoid the text formatting effects as some of them can be unpredictable. The forum application operates within your browser and there can sometimes be conflicts with text editing etc. Quotes are particularly susceptible to this.

It is true that the forum can sometimes lose posts but that can be for a number of reasons not necessarily associated with the forum software such as a glitch at the server end.

If making a longish text post then it is always best to compose and review it in a word processing program first and then copy and paste it into the forum text box. That way, if anything goes wrong you still have the original and can retry it.

Colin

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:34:20 pm »

Hello Colin,
Thank you for your reply.

My post did not have very much text or any special features. There were 2 pictures which from your reply would seem to have been the problem. What I can't understand is that two other Forums I use have accepted pictures of the original file size with no problems at all so why not this one? I did try using the Snipping Tool to make the pictures smaller but the site would not accept the clipped picture being pasted to it.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »

A pictures file size and  physical size are not the same thing https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.0.html

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »

Message for a Moderator really.

Why does the Forum only accept very small file sizes? I have just spent ages doing a post only to be told it is too large and it deleted everything I had done. The other Forums I go on accept much bigger file sizes, why not this one?

Not angry, just annoyed at wasting my time.

Individual Picture can be 500kb which is plenty big enough, if it were me I would put it back to 360kb which was fine...  Bigger the picture means more space required on the server which means Martin has to pay More after Donations...

For Example, thi sPicture is only 172.60kb with a size of 985 x 739.. And in my opinion plenty big enough

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:05:16 pm »

Hello jaymac,
I know file size and physical size are not the same thing which is why I said in my post "original file size".

Anyway, I have found and downloaded a picture resizer program which is dead easy to use and posted by question which has now been accepted.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:55 pm »

There are lots of different forums and types of software and a variety of posting restrictions. I manage the Model Boats Magazine one which also has limited image file sizes. Much of this software is quite old (which is why it is free!) but server storage space costs money and that is why there are often limitations on image size. More sophisticated software has the facility to resize at the receiving end before storing but that is not always the case. There is also the potential issue that transferring large files over the Net can result in timeout problems depending on the nature of your internet connection.

There are plenty of free file resizing programs available. Mayhem has a maximum of 500kb which is more than sufficient to display adequately on screen. The files that come out of a camera can be up to ten times this size!

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:50:46 pm »

I have now come down to using the camera on my mobile phone. (Samsung S7 Edge)

I e-mail the files to the PC and the camera asks me if I wish to re size and I accept small , the files come down 756 x 1008  225kb.  Just right for putting up on the forum.    Photo's are better than I could get with the Canon 4 and no faff, just a couple of clicks  and less than a minute to do.

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

narrowboater

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 02:38:06 pm »

Ok guys,
I think that's enough.
Nice pictures, by the way,

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 02:46:06 pm »

Where are the pictures then?
Is that your live aboard, or rambling Rose?
Nothing more relaxing than 3 mph down the
cut 
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.