Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Seperator fittings  (Read 1292 times)

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
Oil Seperator fittings
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:21:03 am »

I have another query regarding the Oil Separator on my steam engine. It has 3 connections one coming from the cylinder block into the separator. One at a higher level coming from the separator to the flue. A third with a valve running from halfway up the separator back to the bottom of the lubricator, this line has a small valve at the separator end. Its the third line I am not sure about. Also is there any benefit to be gained by cladding the boiler & separator
                                       Propslip

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Oil Seperator fittings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:44:01 am »

The valve between the Condenser and the bottom of the lubricator is for Draining the lubricator using the steam pressure from the boiler.Once empty, close this valve and also the boiler steam stop valve... you can then refill the lubricator.

You can lag the boiler but not the condenser, since this would limit the amount of condensing it could do... it needs to be exposed to the atmosphere to get rid of excess heat.
Your boiler would appear to be an ACS HB-1, which is one of mine.
Hope this helps.
Alex.

Propslip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:53:49 am »

At last I have found someone who recognizes one of the things I have. The boiler does indeed have those markings on the end. Do you have an instruction sheet for this boiler? I was a little surprised to see no glands on he gauge glass, is this sealed in another way?
                                                       Propslip

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:36:34 pm »

The oil separator is not a condenser and is best kept hot otherwise it may fill with oily water. The only significant amount "condensate" will be on start up.
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:48 pm »

Not a condenser in the true sense, as in full steam condenser, however, it does perform the action of a condenser for the steam oil which will drop out of vapour form at around 110degC and collect in the bottom of the container.If allowed to get too hot, this will not happen and the oil vapour will be ejected along with the exhaust steam.
There will always be a certain amount of steam condensation within the device, since at this point in the system the steam pressure will be very low and will be very wet anyway.

AlexC

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.