Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Window material?  (Read 1803 times)

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
Window material?
« on: September 08, 2019, 05:49:31 pm »

I'm looking at reviving my 'Sea Vixen', built 40 (yes, 40!) years ago. One area that was a problem even back then was the glazing.
I don't remember what material I used, but it always buckled. Used to glue it in with Araldite which, with what I know now, was probably too brittle. I suspect something modern like Sikaflex would be a better choice these days.
But what is the 'right' material to use, so that it stays nice and flat?
Note also that the front screen has a sharp angle in it - is there something that can take a sharp crease, or does it need to separate pieces?
And the top screen needs to curve, and needs to meet the 'mast' - so again, what would be a good material and fixing method?
Thoughts/suggestions/experience welcome. Thanks.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Window material?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:47 pm »

I've had success with poly carbonate screens from mo-bike helmets it's devilish hard to bend at all, you'd need the thin type for the cabin windows , available clear , smoke or blue.
For the bridge screen it needs to be the thicker stuff from drop down helmets , same colour choices . . heating it does you no good at all, any bending needs to be done cold (book your hernia op early  %%  ) a suitable bonding medium would be STIXALL by Everbuild a hi strength polymer (hasn't got that awful vinegar smell silicone sealers have while curing )hangs on like grim death, available in clear , white and black, I would make some bridge screen supports and araldite them into the deck , no danger of breaking loose then, see what I used on my fantasy huntress build , it's survived kids trying to pull it out of the water by the screen
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51679.0.html
Bill

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:01:26 pm »

Thanks Bill. The side windows are probably easiest; the front screen I guess I could do from two separate pieces - fit a vertical strut in between inside to make the join neater if need be.
The bridge screen definitely the trickiest part  {:-{  Was hoping not to have to rub back to bare wood in order to glue stuff (it was fantastically painted, and still looks good decades later!)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:27:39 am »

The  key to getting a successful screen is achieving the correct shape. When I built the SLEC Fairey Huntsman the supplied CNC cutout looked like this.
Colin

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 23 queries.