Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183560 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Retirement
« Reply #1000 on: July 24, 2021, 03:10:56 pm »

Thanks Bill and Paul too for the message  :-)

These just arrived although I only need one. Seems to be a help. I can touch all my finger tips with my thumb and make a fist.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XCN76Y2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1001 on: July 30, 2021, 09:32:19 pm »

Did anyone see the Scarlet Lady preparing for her Maiden cruise on the News today? I couldn't help but think Paul Freshney R.I.P would be on that.
There were also repositioning cruises to get ships back to their bases after COVID

£899 14 days across the Atlantic including return flight  %%  was one example .

Apparently 270 cruise ships are currently anchored around the world Covid bound.

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1002 on: August 03, 2021, 07:31:52 pm »

3 x £25 on the premium bonds  :-)  today , easy come easy go at the model shop  %%

ANDY

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1003 on: August 04, 2021, 11:16:44 am »

Just another floating block of flats  %)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1004 on: August 04, 2021, 03:33:56 pm »

Just another floating block of flats  %)
Incubators actually

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1005 on: August 04, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »

Hi, everyone wants a balcony and I think the rest is hollowed out so it is just like being somewhere else inside.
Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1006 on: August 05, 2021, 10:38:18 am »

Is it me, or does it look just a little top heavy  {:-{
Steamed up all the time

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1007 on: August 05, 2021, 12:42:18 pm »

Is it me, or does it look just a little top heavy  {:-{

I don't think that she is top heavy as such, but in my view the real problem is windage. On a day like today on the Mersey, she would be a real pig to handle with all that top hamper. From the passenger perspective I certainly would not want to be aboard her in anything approaching a half gale.
[/size]Liverpool was one of her first ports of call in Feb 2020, she is certainly impressive sizewise but, from the pictures and TV shots put out at the time, the interior is cheap and horrible, ghastly in fact. But, there again what do courting couples and Yanks (there are some exception to the latter one has to admit) know about good taste. [/font]
[/size]In addition, she is/was supposed to be the first of a series but I've yet to hear of anymore of this type being commissioned.

LB

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1008 on: August 05, 2021, 01:29:58 pm »

Prison Hulk comes to mind.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1009 on: August 05, 2021, 01:38:00 pm »

I agree with LB, windage is always an issue with these vessels. She was the biggest ship ever to enter Portsmouth recently and tied up in the ferry port. although they call it International Port these days. Even in the harbour the regular ferries can need assistance in high winds and on one occasion when I was aboard two tugs were in attendance to get us off the berth.

Scarlet Lady had a delayed departure as apparently when they went to start the engnes it was 'Computer says no!'

Two more ships of the class are due to enter service according to Ships Monthly, Valiant Lady in November and Resilient Lady sometime next year.

I'd certainly hate to cross the Atlantic in her (where the balconies would be useless anyway) but cruise ships generally offset their lack of sea kindliness by dodging bad weather.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1010 on: August 05, 2021, 04:16:56 pm »

The reaction to Scarlet Lady won't, I think worry Virgin very much. I get the impression that this is a younger person party boat. Think AIDA rather than Cunard.

Does anybody else find themselves envious of the AIDA excursions. We always seem to be offered boring things to do & they seem to get exciting things. We borrow a phrase from some Americans we got friendly with. ABC - Another bl--dy church.

On a recent cruise we hired a Stars & Stripes self drive trike (the others were all hired for AIDA passenger excursions) and in Madeira there were a lot of them on these scooters - the two on the bench are not AIDA passengers!. We have never been offered anything like that but if you talk to AIDA passengerfs they have something different and slightly edgy everywhere they go.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1011 on: August 05, 2021, 05:04:47 pm »

Interesting machines but you might find your travel insurance won't cover you if you use them.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1012 on: August 05, 2021, 06:16:48 pm »

As I understand it you are covered if it is a ship organised trip - so Aida passengers are OK. As far as we are concerned we asked our insurance company before we went & there wasn't a problem.

Having said that I am not so sure about the microlighting and paragliding that we have done previously.

I am prepared to accept a bit of risk to have the experience.

We need a new insurance company as our previous provider has pulled out of travel insurance.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1013 on: August 05, 2021, 08:01:53 pm »

Interesting machines but you might find your travel insurance won't cover you if you use them.

Colin

So? They are no doubt designed for us oldie bikers who are unable to lift a modern bike for what ever reason, should we be so careless as to drop it, but still want to have fun, fun and even more fun, especially with a bird on the back 8)

Should I ever get out to Thailand I will have to have one just to be able to keep up with my nephew on his 850 Yamaha.
LB

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1014 on: August 05, 2021, 10:40:26 pm »

Cruise Ship Carnival Vista's current cruise now has cases of Covid 19 onboard.....   https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/carnival-cruise-line-covid-cases-mask-requirement/index.html
Carnival have now introduced a new all ships covid protocol.. "that requires all guests, even the vaccinated, to wear masks in certain indoor areas was set to go into effect for cruises departing on or after August 7"
All the joy, all the time.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1015 on: August 06, 2021, 09:33:27 am »

I'm surprised they are letting non vaccinated passengers aboard - what else do they expect?

I believe that on this side of the pond all cruise lines require double vaccinations. Not sure if there are exceptions.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1016 on: August 06, 2021, 09:45:35 am »

As I understand it they were allowing unvaccinated passengers if they had a good level of medical insurance. This should mean that Carnival medical fees get paid but as another passenger it would not give me any confidence at all. It suggests that they have not been taking the problem seriously enough.

There is, I believe, a different perspective on Covid and vaccines in some parts of the USA.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1017 on: August 06, 2021, 10:10:08 am »

Given the infectiousness of the Delta variant and tha average age of cruise passengers the unvaccinated must literally be taking their lives in their hands.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1018 on: August 06, 2021, 10:40:35 am »

Given the infectiousness of the Delta variant and tha average age of cruise passengers the unvaccinated must literally be taking their lives in their hands.

Colin

..................and as no vaccine gives 100% protection they are putting everyone else, even if vaccinated, at risk as well.

Have cruise ships had to do anything about recirculated air from air conditioning systems & all the nasties that it can spread around the ship?

We won't be going anytime soon.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1019 on: August 06, 2021, 11:13:03 am »

Have cruise ships had to do anything about recirculated air from air conditioning systems & all the nasties that it can spread around the ship?

Improved filtration. Quite a bit online including this:

https://cruise.blog/2021/02/cruise-ship-ventilation-study-shows-undetectable-transmission-aerosol-particles-such-covid

I would think the main danger is passengers congregating together in public spaces such as restaurants, theatres, bars lounges etc. and breathing all over each other.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1020 on: August 06, 2021, 11:55:59 am »

I suspect coach based excursions are another hot spot. Standard coach air conditioning does effeectively no filtering but does recirculate air + viruses. Even if ships have improved I would be very surprised if all (or indeed any) of the excursions have coaches that have been upgraded.

I think that we have just about covered most things that you do on a cruise except go on self guided walkabout in ports & sit on deck.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1021 on: August 13, 2021, 07:58:33 pm »

More and more this past year I've come to appreciate "no pockets in shrouds"  <:(

So if you have it spend it!

Following my friend MarkT's love of quality I bought the Jim Byrne disc sander. For the moment he's envious but has one coming too  :kiss:
So I spent today setting up dust extraction and doing my very best to make more room in the Tardis.

I'm keeping the heavily used proxxon for rough work and brass etc. The JB is not meant for metal.

A number of adapters I conjured up allow the extra hose I bought for the Bosch GAS 20L to be moved between machines easily.

Band saw

JB

A tip at the moment but I'm winning

ANDY

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1022 on: August 14, 2021, 08:10:43 am »

Ah - I remember the day when you posted a picture of your work space under a 'MY workshop thread', where that corner had just the TV on the wall and you had problems getting some item to work - now it looks like its not so much what isn't working but where did I put that thingymabob down  {-)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1023 on: August 14, 2021, 08:35:06 am »

I knew there was a thread somewhere but memory is bad  {-)

Maybe an admin might move it? Ok with me  O0

I have multiple thingymabobs so I happen across them  {-)
ANDY

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1024 on: August 15, 2021, 10:17:44 am »

The pictures I found are those in post #240 "WHAT HAVE YOU BOUGHT THIS WEEK"

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,60223.msg661548.html#msg661548    :o {-)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.