Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183732 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Retirement
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:44:11 pm »

When is enough enough?
Turned 61 and don’t really need to work but fortunate to be in demand for my skills so currently I can dictate how many hours I’m available. Not many in a PAYE position have such luxury.
I’ve just decided this evening to cut back to strictly Monday Tuesday for them and 5 days for me and wifey.
It’s winter so not really missing much by working and the money is not to be sniffed at.
As the song goes “ Should I stay or should I go now “

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Retirement
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:12:17 pm »

How long is the list of jobs to do that your wife undoubtedly has ready?  {-)
Don't Assume Check

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:21:08 pm »

How long is the list of jobs to do that your wife undoubtedly has ready?  {-)
Lately it’s one after another and my mother has jumped in too but she gives me wads of cash like it or not  %%  won’t take no for an answer
Normally I’d do mon tue thu but lately every day not at work is still a day working, I’ve done 1 hr on my build last week  :((
I’m thinking 2 days now so I have a chance at living and if they don’t like it just stop all together

ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:16 pm »

It’s a question of balance really.

I retired early following one reorganisation too many but got a decent pension plus redundancy.

Subsequently I picked up freelance work for Model Boats magazine managing their website, covering for the Editor and editing a number of special issues. All this work could be done at times that suited me, mostly in the evening which meant that my days were effectively free. If the sun was shining then Mrs B and I would go down to the coast for lunch which we still do. It was a good way of making money from my hobby.

Our other priority was travelling while we could as it takes very little for health conditions for yourself or your partner to seriously cramp your style. Once you pass 60 you tend to start slowing up so if you have a bucket list now is the time to indulge it! Definitely do it while you can. When you are working, taking out a month to tour New Zealand isn’t easy but becomes entirely possible once you are off the regular treadmill. At 70, which I have now reached, you tend to think twice about long distance travel as it becomes more of a hassle so your 60s are the time to do all those things you were intending to do someday. That someday has now arrived!

Re Dougal99's post. All those outstanding jobs you couldn't find time for while you were working you will still be unable to find time for, believe me!

Good luck,

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:24 pm »

I was made redundant, then eventually took a part time job at a supermarket to add some extra money and avoid cutting myself off entirely.  I had a good pension from the redundancy settlement.
Finally, at 68, I had had enough and fully retired.  Having five years part time lessened the sudden transition to full time house-worker and part time model maker.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 10:33:33 pm »

Andy,

A work colleague of my uncle
Worked on after retirement and at 67
Decided to retire
1 month later he was diagnosed with cancer
and sadly passed away 6 months later.
He could have retired early and choose not to.

A bit doom and gloom but,
If you can retire early and have enough cash to keep
You in comfort then go for it.
None of us know what’s around the corner enjoy yourself.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 10:47:00 pm »

Andy,

A work colleague of my uncle
Worked on after retirement and at 67
Decided to retire
1 month later he was diagnosed with cancer
and sadly passed away 6 months later.
He could have retired early and choose not to.

A bit doom and gloom but,
If you can retire early and have enough cash to keep
You in comfort then go for it.
None of us know what’s around the corner enjoy yourself.

That is exactly my and my wife’s dilemma
She recently got early retirement through redundancy with reasonable pension.
She knows personally too many people who have had a stroke or gone completely and feels I should not be going to work.
Hence today’s decision to for the time being only do 2 days and come the better weather / tax year end call it a day and get on with travelling and leisure
ANDY

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:51:12 pm »

Sounds like a good plan.
Pity you can’t do Tuesday Wednesday
And then have a long weekend
For boat shows etc..

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 10:57:48 pm »

Sounds like a good plan.
Pity you can’t do Tuesday Wednesday
And then have a long weekend
For boat shows etc..

I can but wife likes 2 for 1 cinema tickets  {-)
ANDY

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 10:58:21 pm »

Big early retirement opportunity came up and as wife's health was getting worse  took it. Was 58 and  done 30 years continuous shift in chemical process industry after 1 year took  early morning job for a couple of hours. Stopped after 5 years as she got much worse and lost her that year. Gave it a rest for 3 years and started back again silence was driving me nuts.Since then had both knees replaced surprise heart attack in 2014 cholesterol only 2.8 on admission and this year god willing I might just retire on reaching 4 score getting up at 5 mon to friday is beginning to tell methinksNo Andy you never know what's round the cornerJay

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:09 pm »

April isn't far away. Thanks for the replies  :-)  I will give it up week 52  :-))
ANDY

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:51 pm »

Don't let age stop you travelling, I am off to Oz in a month's time to get a bit of extra summer.  Not got as much energy as I used to have but the fitter you keep the more energy you have.  I hope to be getting on the bike and walking in the sand and sea.  I also have a lot of model boats to finish.
Regards,
 Roy

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 11:38:12 pm »

You will be welcome in Oz but remember the sun cream and a hat.
We are having a really hot summer especially anywhere north of Melbourne.
p.s. Watch out for the jellyfish if you go swimming in the sea north of Sydney.  They are very bad this year.  <:(

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 11:41:58 pm »

Hi Brian thanks for the heads up on that I go swimming in Brisbane Water half a mile up from the Rip bridge.

My beach of choice is Umina.
regrds Roy

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 12:01:29 am »

2 for 1 tickets  :-))

Andy,
I’m 40 soon
But in 2016 i had 11 Cardiac arrests in 1 day (12 in total)
Started at the back of 7am
And finished at 14.30
Woke up to see the mrs and my oldman at the bed side.
I do remember some of the bits in between
Incl them zapping me with the defib.
Ruddy painful experience that was.

Ended up with minor brain damage
Affecting my short time memory and fatigue.
I was paid off due to my hgv licence being taken away.
I get nothing but shortness of breath when doing things
And I’m still trying to get back to some kind of work.

As folks have said you never know what’s around the corner.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 12:13:54 am »

My take is as soon as financially possible.I am only 47 and have friends who have had heart attacks,most survived.One didn't and he was 39.My Oldman died of cancer at 61 and my father in law worked until 78!.He had his own haulage business and passed away not long into retirement.
Unfortuneately for me,I feel 65 will be the earliest I can do it.

Regards

Nigel

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 01:51:02 am »

I retired at 62, wife took early retirement (nhs) and went back part time. Used lump sum to buy Narrowboat. When boat was sorted out and equipped for continuous cruising Mary stopped working altogether and we let the house out.
We cruise canals for 6 months and winter in Canberra staying with daughter and family.
Wife had heart attack just before our return in April last year. She stayed in Oz as not fit to travel. I returned to boat for 6 months. Now half way through my time in Oz and we return to boat end of April.
I’m 69 now and just done the Étape Australia again and got early bird entry to this years event.
My advice would be to retire as soon as you are able to cos you never know what’s around the corner. Live every day as if it’s your last.
Jerry C.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 05:18:22 am »

I had redundancy at age 51, took a year off, then did a year on a zero hours contract, that didnt work out as I wasnt getting enough to supplement my small pension from the redundancy, so I went back to work, took a job doing similar work to that I had been doing but in a junior position (I went from a drawing office manager to an engineering support officer - basically the same CAD work, but none of the responsibilities or stress)
so basically now I go to work to relax and wind down and to get away from the house during the day. I would possibly consider dropping back the days at some point - if only to cut down on the travelling.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 06:16:32 am »

Great replies reading as I ready for work today  :((
Thank you
ANDY

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:11 am »

I am now at work, and had a thought, which is that you dont want to retire then find yourself working harder at all those jobs at home than you did when you were at work.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 07:57:51 am »

I've known more people drop dead just before retirement or soon after than I can shake a stick at.

You only get one life so as long as you have things to do to keep you fit and your brain working and can afford it, then retire as soon as possible. Unless you're doing what you love, working really is for mugs with no imagination.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:29 am »

I've known more people drop dead just before retirement or soon after than I can shake a stick at.

You only get one life so as long as you have things to do to keep you fit and your brain working and can afford it, then retire as soon as possible. Unless you're doing what you love, working really is for mugs with no imagination.
this is where I get the benefit of a job at the bottom of the responsibility chain, I have no responsibilities or stress and am doing the bit of the work that I love most, so work for me is a happy relaxing time.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:43 am »

Then you have it all.  :-))

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07:49 am »

I Knew people who topped themselves  within a few days of normal retirement  two  who were particularly good friends of mine. One being  my shift fitter the other an instrument mechanic . No reason for this came out

The old saying careful what you wish for  could apply Equally to  what  advice one gives

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:38 am »

I retired at 63 ....four years ago and just before Christmas ...not the best of times !

My wife showed great concern at what I would end up doing in my "spare" time.
I had my model building of course but the  the expected cold of the  winter months put me off being in the shed for lengthy periods.

We both investigated the "University of the 3rd Age"..... a non academic national organisation for retirees. and part time workers... to see what pastimes they had on their local curriculum.

We both joined their Field Archery Group with no experience of the sport at all..... I now run the Group with shoots twice a week in local woodland and field with standard targets and  3D rubber animals..... an absolutely great and "different" hobby . 
I joined the Petanque  Group which I thoroughly enjoy throughout the year.
I'm about to start a Tai Chi Group which I've been practicing for 18 years , so hopefully my knowledge can be passed on in a beneficial  way.

All this activity from someone who has had no interest in sport throughout his life.
My wife has  also joined the U3A art groups, quilting, scrap booking and Nordic walking...... all greatly beneficial and a source of new friendships.

Within most of these groups someone often organises lunches and trips to different venues to enhance the enjoyment  and this past Christmas period has seen us invited to more social occasions than we ever had when working.

I would highly recommend anyone struggling with impending retirement to investigate the U3A as a potential for new adventures and friendships.... with retirement you have to keep visible !

Regards
Terry H
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.