Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183641 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Retirement
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 09:59:37 am »

Have a look at Meetup.com for local social groups.
I'm a member of some techy groups, coffee meets, meals out, bowling, pub evenings, pub quizzes etc. Or you could start your own special interest meetup group.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 10:01:06 am »

Hi all, looks like most working people will have two careers at least.  Grendel seems to have struck a nice balance, perhaps found out what it is like to be in charge, maybe the personal cost was too high?  But is now doing the work he was attracted to in the first place.  When I was working I did feel frustrated that I could run things better than just passing down the actions from above.
I did for a short period have the ideal job for me about 3 years, then age starts to single you out on the basis that I could be replaced by someone cheaper.
One also has to accept that one's own time has passed.  The whole unit of guys I was working with were made redundant, I was not that unhappy about leaving after 31 years.  It came as a shock as I had been working late the previous day, (unpaid overtime).  On receiving the 'white envelope' across the desk a whole weight slid off my shoulders!

After resettling myself to the new way of living and when this happened there were no jobs. (1992). I went through the various government training initiatives, well meaning but not very effective, I had a short teaching job for a while then the company was taken over.  I had another job almost sown up with a local electonics company when a part of BAe suddenly unloaded better qualified and younger men into the work place. 

I worked out how to improve my own life and did just that.  My pension gave me most of what i had when at work, I did later work part time for two years in an Infant School as a Learning support assistant and that was very enjoyable and then their cutbacks meant the end of my contract.

I see from previous threads others have had their world dictated to them but if you have choices take them and basically do anything you want with the proviso that it does not harm others.  Never say to yourself I am too old for this.  If you can stay fit in body the rest follows.

I shall not see 80 again I have almost found peace within myself and wish all forum members a long and happy retirement.

Just gone back to my morning bike ride, I will be back later.
Regards Roy

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:51 am »

I shall be 73 in a month and still building models for the Americans . Spent 8 months last year building USS Gambier Bay and just about to send across the pond. If I accept all the models people [ US ] wanted I will be building well into my 80's on present list
John R Haynes

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28:07 am »

It is a lot easier to adapt to retirement if you already have other interests as it gives you the opportunity to effectively switch tracks and develop those interests further. Failing that, as Terry admirably demonstrates above, you need to branch out into new areas and build new interests which keep you active and your brain functioning!

Many people who lack outside interests can feel that their life has effectively come to a stop when they retire and they wake up each morning with a blank day ahead and nothing to get out of bed for. They no longer feel useful. It is these people who are more likely to fall into depression and eventually off the perch.

The other thing which I think is important is to have a particular focus entailing responsibilities. In my case it was magazine deadlines but it could equally be running an interest group as Terry does or even looking after the grandkids. This imposes a valuable degree of discipline and helps structure your life. Otherwise it can be all to easy to get ito the 'I'll do it tomorrow' mindset and let things just drift.

Most people on here do have other interests otherwise you wouldn't be here which is always a good start!

Colin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 11:58:26 am »

Hi All
Totally right Colin.
As a retired gentleman with hobby interests I would not have time to back to work.
Sorry to use that four letter (work).
Senior- In - Retirement
Canabus

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 12:16:09 pm »

I retired three years ago - and in that time I've rewired the house, replumbed the house, all new central heating, new boiler, new windows, 2-storey rear extension with kitchen/breakfast room, the old kitchen taken back to brick and redone into a utility room, downstairs bathroom back to brick and redone completely, chimney breast removed & floor rebuilt, en-suite bathroom and bedroom created, cupboard under stairs removed, coat cupboard built, all new internal doors, upstairs bathroom redone, new garden wall and a porch built.
The only things I've had people in for is plastering and digging foundations - I've been a busy boy. Don't know how people find time to work.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 12:24:21 pm »

I retired three years ago - and in that time I've rewired the house, replumbed the house, all new central heating, new boiler, new windows, 2-storey rear extension with kitchen/breakfast room, the old kitchen taken back to brick and redone into a utility room, downstairs bathroom back to brick and redone completely, chimney breast removed & floor rebuilt, en-suite bathroom and bedroom created, cupboard under stairs removed, coat cupboard built, all new internal doors, upstairs bathroom redone, new garden wall and a porch built.
The only things I've had people in for is plastering and digging foundations - I've been a busy boy. Don't know how people find time to work.

ah all those tasks I am glad i dont have time for as I am busy relaxing at work.
I think my partner leaving was more of an incentive to start up new hobbies (or should that be restart ones I had in my youth), as now i have the freedom to do as i please i have built up my workshop again, started ship modelling and restarted my meccano hobby, and taken to boating holidays on the Broads. I am sure all of these activities will take over when I do retire, as i never seem to have enough time to do them as I wish.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 12:29:12 pm »

I'd loved to have had the cash to pay someone else to do this but I'm having to work on zero budget but I have time - and I'm free (as Mr Humphries once said) so labour = £0
I have health issues that make working 9-5 very difficult so this is the best option - I get to keep fit shifting heavy things and the house is magically improving.
I have a deadline of 2 years to get it all done before we cash-up and downsize/relocate to the country - so I'm also learning new skills.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 01:54:04 pm »

People who retire on the basis they will now be able to get out of bed about 10.30 am and flop round in their slippers till it's time to let the telly take over usually do not last more than a couple of years.  Others will keep body and mind active , gentle sport (bowls) social contact and hobbies , even casual unpaid social work and will live into their nineties and be happy.

PS .   Have we ever had a poll to find out who the the oldest forum member is ? could be done anonymously  O0

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 01:55:35 pm »

Just announced at work that I’m only doing two days now  :-))
Will stop on week 52 for good
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »

Can't recommend the U3A too highly. There's a bit of giving as well as receiving which makes you feel good.

https://www.u3a.org.uk/
Don't Assume Check

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 03:04:10 pm »

I retired at 50 after 32 years in Fire Service, with a full pension.  I know it sounds cheesy but I really don't know how I fitted a full time job in.  The only difference between then and now is that i do what I want, and not what someone else wants.  That and the Grandson keeps me busy, and happy and able to take on even more hobbies.Don't wait..........if you can afford it then go.  No one knows what waits for us, so enjoy it whilst you can.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:30 pm »

I retired at 50 after 32 years in Fire Service, with a full pension.  I know it sounds cheesy but I really don't know how I fitted a full time job in.  The only difference between then and now is that i do what I want, and not what someone else wants.  That and the Grandson keeps me busy, and happy and able to take on even more hobbies.Don't wait..........if you can afford it then go.  No one knows what waits for us, so enjoy it whilst you can.
Cheesy it may be but it's a fact that everyone relates to.
After tomorrow there are only 9 x 2 day weeks for me to call it a day. This will max out my premium bonds. Off course a significant win will cause a donation of my factory tool kit to the poor souls still at it  {-)
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 10:39:03 pm »

Compare the meerkat just shaved £166 off my car insurance and extended my 2for1 cinema teekets  O0
Stroll on Wednesday  :-)
ANDY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 11:02:55 pm »

Convicts from the First Fleet do not get retirement..as our gift was..Penal Servitude for Life  <*<

Then again, on the other side of the coin, OZ could be considered as retirement from birth   O0  [after bathing those years of lash marks on our backs]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 11:08:13 pm »

Yup! It is well known that Aussies are shy retiring types.

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 11:19:16 pm »

you never retire you just leave work and become a gofer go for this go for that any thing the wife forgets.
                         Regards Howard.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 11:28:03 pm »

Definitely U3A
My wife's uncle in Mauritius received a Diploma last December.   :-))
He has just turned 103!  O0

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:50 am »

The best piece of advice when I retired was "Have a Rostered Day Off at least once a week"  :embarrassed:

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 04:17:23 pm »

My intention was to retire at 62. Ive had a Civil Service Pension since 60 and wifey was entitled to her just under 2 years later. She should have got her full state pension at 60 as well but she's one of the WASPI's who imvho, has had 6 year pension stolen from her by the Government after paying full NI with no breaks since 1975.
My work dried up 2 years ago and despite looking, no one wants to take on someone 60+ in my line of work.

The last 2 years we've been living on my pension and savings. DWP wont help because we have a little nest egg. Due to a cock up with CS Pensions, they havent implemented her pension yet and it's two months late and counting.
What Im finding is the reduction in income from my previous, is massive. I just cannot go out and buy when I want, not that I spent loads anyway! When wifey's CS Pension comes through, we will be ok but even so, not having her state pension for 6 years and mine also being pushed back by a year, has thrown our financial planning into chaos.
My advice to anyone looking to retire very soon is, make sure you have made all large purchases ie car to see you through retirement \ home improvements \ model kits you want or need etc, before you retire. Make sure your retirement income is going to give you enough to live on and enjoy doing what you do. Yes, you dont need two cars anymore but if you've been used to having two, going to one is a bit of a shock if it needs to go in the garage or you both need to bein different places at similar times.

Depending on how you were employed ie self employed \ employee, may have a massive effect on you being unable to find a little part time job to keep you ticking over.
I worked on a self employed contract basis and employers will not touch me because 'Id get bored doing a menial job' or 'wouldnt like people telling me what to do'! Crackers and I can understand many active retiree's frustration at not being able to get a little job.
If you can afford to retire and have plenty to keep you active, go for it.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 04:32:42 pm »

... And then there's the bus pass - used to be able to claim that at 60 - now you can only apply when in receipt of the state pension  >>:-(
... unless you live in London of course  whereby age 60 applies  :-X .

Regards
Ray

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 04:42:33 pm »

... And then there's the bus pass - used to be able to claim that at 60 - now you can only apply when in receipt of the state pension  >>:-(
... unless you live in London of course  whereby age 60 applies  :-X .

Regards
Ray

And no use around here where we have no buses {:-{
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 08:44:59 pm »

I have a simple answer  jobs get done Monday to Wednesday and my week end starts on Thursday morning.

Stan

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 08:46:04 pm »

That’s this week finished
5 days of leisure now  {-)
Tomorrow 4 new tyres and service my car plus dental appointment then a job for mother
Thursday I may get to do something for myself
Friday to the movies and the new film Glass
Weekend yet unplanned  :-))
9 weeks to go
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 05:18:40 pm »

This week I just fitted four new Michelin tyres on my 2009 Berlingo. I spotted a screw in the front tyre which was due for replacement so just did the lot expecting to keep the car until it was ready for the scrappers.
Within two days other events changed my whole train of thought and I've just traded it in for another Berlingo just passed 3yrs old with under 10K miles and mint condition. This should see me to the end of my driving days now and its the XTR 1.6HDi with semi auto ETG6 box £20 road tax 65MPG. They gave me £2300 for my 1.6 petrol base model with 65k miles
A balance of £8750 next Friday. I feel my retirement plan taking shape
ANDY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.