Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183603 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Retirement
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 05:26:05 pm »

Should have done the deal before tyre outlay :embarrassed:
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2019, 05:35:27 pm »

Should have done the deal before tyre outlay :embarrassed:
Ned
Don't I know it  {:-{  but I'm very happy with the prospect of the new one and the tyres on that have at least 2 yrs driving left given the low mileage
I just got my insurance down to £173 too but the new one is £348 due to the higher value. The petrol would be £290 road tax this year  %%  so saving £270 there. Swings and roundabouts  :-)

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »

This week I just fitted four new Michelin tyres on my 2009 Berlingo. I spotted a screw in the front tyre which was due for replacement so just did the lot expecting to keep the car until it was ready for the scrappers.
Within two days other events changed my whole train of thought and I've just traded it in for another Berlingo just passed 3yrs old with under 10K miles and mint condition. This should see me to the end of my driving days now and its the XTR 1.6HDi with semi auto ETG6 box £20 road tax 65MPG. They gave me £2300 for my 1.6 petrol base model with 65k miles
A balance of £8750 next Friday. I feel my retirement plan taking shape
Diesel, 3 years old with under 10k on the clock? Hmmm DPF problems spring to mind on that especially if you are also going to do low miles. Not sure if this model has active regen of the DPF but if you're only doing short journeys, at journey's end and before turning off the engine, open the door and if you can feel heat or smell something hot, drive around for another 5 or so miles, dont turn off the engine.
This is recommended by HonestJohn of the torygraph BTW.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 04:07:37 pm »

Think it just needs a hard drive once a week  :-))
More frequent oil changes are recommended to keep the turbo oil feeds clean

Also has start stop technology so assume it cuts out in queue and at lights and restarts on accelerator
Euro 6 with adblue I believe
ANDY

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 10:29:57 pm »

Hi it's John V the trouble with retirement is the bills still Keep coming through the door. And you still need to eat .

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 10:53:36 pm »

Citroen Berlingo seriously that ain't going to last the electrics are pants on them,,,,just hope and pray the immobiliser doesn't go down on you as the car will be baisicaly rendered usless as you will need a New Ecu ign key door locks etc and then there is NO gtee it will start....the amount of 5yr old ones we have scrapped in the last 12mnths because of the sheer cost of repairing them ...BEST of luck you ARE going to need it,TRY and get an extended warrenty it will be WORTH THE extra

Dave

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2019, 10:56:41 pm »

My trade in is 10 this year and owned it from new without a single fault so far in 65K still original exhaust and battery too
Any car can have issues even rolls royce  {-)
Thanks
ANDY

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:05 pm »

Hi it's John V the trouble with retirement is the bills still Keep coming through the door. And you still need to eat .
Aint that the truth! And, the bills dont get any smaller!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 12:20:37 pm »

Hi as we seemed to have veered across to cars I traded my C-RV in mid November, I had been driving it for 18 years.  Only problem was catalytic converter which rust had stopped it from being welded up again.  The OEM relacement brought the engine management light up, lived with that for 3 years, but last MoT was passed and the examiner said "don't bring her back"! 

Time was the main enemy with rubber getting hardened and chrome starting to fail, and some rust setting in at the cills, did 107K miles.
I took the hint and settled for a 16 plate Yeti 1.2. Automatic (seemless)  L trim level.  Very pleased with it.  Slightly smaller but quiet, comfy, economical and takes my yachts in the back.

RegardsRoy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2019, 12:59:53 pm »

Citroen Berlingo seriously that ain't going to last the electrics are pants on them,,,,just hope and pray the immobiliser doesn't go down on you as the car will be baisicaly rendered usless as you will need a New Ecu ign key door locks etc and then there is NO gtee it will start....the amount of 5yr old ones we have scrapped in the last 12mnths because of the sheer cost of repairing them ...BEST of luck you ARE going to need it,TRY and get an extended warrenty it will be WORTH THE extra

Dave

Interesting. I have never heard this about this Berlingo immobiliser problem and there is no mention of the problem on the Honest Jon website. As so much of the car is common across other PSA companies, including Citroen & Peugeot, is it essentially an issue for all/ most/ some/ none of the other PSA group cars?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 01:02:13 pm »

I just bought my latest car with 160,000 miles on it- its a volvo v70, mind you the one that it replaced had 265,000 miles on it and still going strong, I would have kept that going but the clutch needed replacing and this newer one came in cheaper.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 01:30:50 pm »

Volvo for me too. My last example, a 240, was purchased new in 1990 and sold with MOT etc in 2011 - 21 years isn't bad with the only repair being a clutch slave cylinder.

The replacement car was purchased new in 2011, has needed nothing new apart from service items (banging wood furiously) and is, I hope, good for 15 years.

Hopefully sorted out until 2025 by which time I either won't care or they might have sorted out what technology I am allowed & made it reliable. If I had to buy new today I really don't know where I would put my money.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 02:32:08 pm »

Mine is a mazda 626, it turns 20 this year i've had it since 2002, same here, not sure what to replace it with, it runs quite smooth is starting to have some rust problems and a new one leaks into the cabin, so I need to find a way of sealing it after the winter season finishes - so about mid april or thereabouts, like a look of the kia sportage or mazda cx or even a volvo, but all attract a high road tax and repair bills, and the need for a large car is diminishing.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 07:47:57 pm »

2 day week plan has gone "boobs" up already  %%  Under pressure to turn out bespoke power boards to fit a dimensionally restricted space. I like the exacting nature of this type of work and the money is welcome just now with upgrading our car

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 10:14:54 pm »

I worked 3 days this week so only doing Monday next week.
Lots on just now but I’m resisting more hours despite all on offer.
Having a driving weekend in the new to me berlingo, lindisfarne tomorrow
Our bench

My old berlingo
I can’t imagine anything as flexible for load shifting and boats.
In the 9.5 years I’ve used that it never let me down and shifted many tonnes of rubbish and materials
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 05:35:59 pm »

Just back from a round trip to Lindisfarne 327miles using cruise control almost exclusively with a 60mph limit apart from overtakes. Trip returned 60mpg average. Not bad for a vehicle about as Aero as a house brick

No gear lever makes a lot more space.
DAB radio worked flawlessly, quite a surprise as my other one keeps losing signal for minutes at a time

Picture shows FM source but was on DAB all today

ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 06:24:54 pm »

You might do better without cruise control if there are any hills as under manual control you tend to ease off on the accelerator whilst the cruise control maintains speed at th expense of fuel consumption.
But maybe you didn't have any hills....
Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:25 pm »

You might do better without cruise control if there are any hills as under manual control you tend to ease off on the accelerator whilst the cruise control maintains speed at th expense of fuel consumption.
Colin
Very few but unlike my 3 litre Ducato Comfortmatic it does not over react by dropping a gear and revving the nuts off.
Best experience I've encountered with cruise to date. Looking ahead up the road I was adjusting the speed with the +/- to compensate for vehicles ahead until it was clear behind without having to hold traffic up.
The cruise really did make minor throttle adjustments just like you would manually and never came out of 6th

I don't think its run in yet either at less than 9,200 miles  :-))
ANDY

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2019, 01:56:33 pm »

Colin
Plenty of hills up here. I don't ease off the throttle on hills but automatically increase power to keep my speed constant. You must be one of those drivers unable to keep a steady speed but constantly slowing down and speeding up on the slightest incline.  >>:-( I use cruise control where I can and notice little difference in fuel consumption, any increase in power going up hills is probably cancelled out by decrease in power down hill.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2019, 02:25:29 pm »

You must be one of those drivers unable to keep a steady speed but constantly slowing down and speeding up on the slightest incline.

You shouldn't make assumptions like that. I could explain but it isn't worth the bother.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2019, 02:28:29 pm »

You shouldn't make assumptions like that. I could explain but it isn't worth the bother.

Colin
Correct I don’t slow down and I avoid delaying other traffic
ANDY

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2019, 03:30:05 pm »

The latest cruise control systems are adaptive and use radar to check the speed of the vehicle ahead
and adapt to it.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2019, 03:44:55 pm »

doubt the Berlingo has adaptive

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2019, 04:19:25 pm »

No, they still seem to be top of the range options. Probably good in those situations when you are in motorway traffic which is running freely but at variable speeds and where standard cruise control needs to be either notched up and down all the time or intermittently disengaged. In those circumstances you might just as well use your right foot.

Colin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2019, 04:33:18 pm »

9 weeks for me as well but at 3 days a week, been doing that for 4 years. Even with a 4 day weekend I never have enough time for all my interests and DIY etc. so I'm looking forward to the extra time. I'm lucky enough to enjoy my work and have done a few extra months as didnt want to retire going into winter and the extra income has been good.

I've got a Yeti as well, which even though it's diesel I'm going to keep for sometime now, great car and low mileage, and will give it a good blast on a regular basis. I also bought myself a soft top sports car in readiness for my retirement. Got it 4 years ago and its only done 8k. miles so will be using that a lot more. Like others I'm hopping mad that the government has nicked 6 years of my wife's state pension.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 23 queries.