Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183642 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Retirement
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:45 pm »

Other opinions are available.......... ok2

I use cruise control on dual carriageways and single ones too, but as the occasion requires.
Yes they are. But you need reasonably clear dual and single carriageways to use it safely on them imhe. Cant speak for the rest of the country but in the north, I didnt travel regularly enough on clear duals, singles are just to winding with too many junctions. If you have adaptive cruise you'd be ok.
Also, good thing with the auto is you can left foot brake which you should always do when parking or reversing. Once you're used to it, you can even drive at motorway speed using left foot braking. HonestJohn recommends left foot braking for autos parking as well. Some people fell out of their tree last time I suggested it was similar to driving a go kart but hey ho!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2019, 03:31:07 pm »

Having only had automatics for the past 30 odd years I have always  used left foot braking for everything. Anywhere I might need to brake its already over the pedal.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2019, 03:32:22 pm »

My brake pedal is three times as big as the go pedal so hard to miss  %%
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2019, 04:03:17 pm »

Having only had automatics for the past 30 odd years I have always  used left foot braking for everything. Anywhere I might need to brake its already over the pedal.

Me too but as when we visit Spain automatics are difficult to hire I keep to right foot braking . This allows me to adjust easier
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:54 pm »

My brake pedal is three times as big as the go pedal so hard to miss  %%
Apart from thinking time it is  also milliseconds =  X feet travelled before you have moved the  foot over I think it was in Autocar some years back huge write up on actual times that converted me.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2019, 04:29:44 pm »

Sounds very worthy of a trial  :-))
ANDY

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2019, 06:13:35 pm »

I always left foot brake with an auto, and right foot brake with a manual. One of my cars is auto and the other isn't so I get to practice both methods.

But I was trained as a test driver in my first job in the motor industry and the instructor drilled that into us. It doesn't go away.
Regards
Kit

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2019, 06:40:44 pm »

That's this week finished! 6 days off and the bad weather is coming  O0
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2019, 09:05:21 pm »

Maybe of interest
Via a caravan club offer I have registered with Pump-King for an Esso fuel discount card
This saves between 5&8p per litre
Pumpking issue the weekly ppl rate every Friday

Handy for those running euro6 that want to prolong the DPF lifespan

https://pump-king.co.uk/welcome. Caravan club members only

Edit I just heard this weeks price is £125.1ppl for diesel which is very close to supermarket prices
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2019, 09:15:34 pm »

Compare the meerkat cinema teekets tomorrow
Some good films lately
Green book for us this week
Next Wednesday sees the release of Aleta battle angel in 3D
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2019, 10:21:05 pm »

Maybe of interest
Via a caravan club offer I have registered with Pump-King for an Esso fuel discount card
This saves between 5&8p per litre
Pumpking issue the weekly ppl rate every Friday

Handy for those running euro6 that want to prolong the DPF lifespan

https://pump-king.co.uk/welcome. Caravan club members only

Edit I just heard this weeks price is £125.1ppl for diesel which is very close to supermarket prices

Quote from a motorhome forum I use just now
"Put £70 worth of diesel in my motorhome and Pump king charged me £63.61 , seems good to me.I think Asda may be a penny or so cheaper."
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2019, 05:23:52 pm »

Thoroughly enjoyed the film Green Book today. Injects the full range of emotions  :-))
With £8 deducted from our insider card and 241 cinema teekets it cost us 90p entry  {-)
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2019, 12:07:27 am »

I feel fully retired just now as "work" know I'm not interested if it's not full on busy. They'd pay me to stand about but it's not me. So I have a good 10 day stretch at least without any considerations other than what I decide to do when I feel like it  {-)

Feeling good  :-))
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2019, 12:32:10 pm »

No work next week either now yeehaa  8)
ANDY

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2019, 12:57:21 pm »

I sometimes feel that I could be asleep in the corner, and still earn my wages when woken up just to answer the odd question, at 59 I have many years in the electricity supply business, and even our senior designers come and ask my advice on occasion, yet my official job title is only assistant designer. i do have probably 20 years on the next oldest in the office, so I am probably substitute dad to all of them.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »

Love it  {-)
ANDY

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2019, 03:19:48 pm »

I'm 76 now and some of my old customers STILL phone me with questions about their test systems that I looked after when I was employed. My ex-employers decided that the customers would buy new systems instead of retaining their old ones, and didn't bother to train any engineers on the older stuff.

WRONG!  :-)
Regards
Kit

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2019, 07:17:26 pm »

Hi all, our heating packed up yesterday, our heating engineer was there late morning and had to condemn the boiler, he is a friend and showed me the bits that had just deteriorated beyond repair.  Brother who was visiting, retired from same trade agreed.  Got a quote that evening which we 'negotiated'. Expect installation this Thursday.

Brought in shed convector and other heating into use.  Today an oil filled radiator failed at lunch time. Found and ordered one with Argos which they delivered, installed and was in use 4 and a half hours later.
We fight on regardless, we may be running out of shops but Service has increased no end.
Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2019, 08:04:15 pm »

Bought a dehumidifier for the laundry.  It was delivered by DFD courier , very nice lad seemed quite chirpy.  When I looked at the on-line delivery tracker I was that lads 130th delivery of the day , delivery no 1 was at 10am presumably after he had spent a couple of hours loading. Now, if he only took 5 mins per delivery thats 11 hours with no breaks for refreshments.
 So thats 13 hours of solid graft and he still had a load of parcels in the van . Phew thats criminal.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2019, 08:07:53 pm »

I was going to sell the wife’s car and both use mine but now realised it’s barely costing anything to run as I do all repairs and maintenance myself
Insurance renewal came through at £299 but she’s gone online again and found much of her details have changed since having retired
So now just for social and pleasure with me added as a named driver only £199 road tax £155 nothing needs replacing or fixing so may as well keep it
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2019, 12:13:03 am »

I was going to sell the wife’s car and both use mine but now realised it’s barely costing anything to run as I do all repairs and maintenance myself
Insurance renewal came through at £299 but she’s gone online again and found much of her details have changed since having retired
So now just for social and pleasure with me added as a named driver only £199 road tax £155 nothing needs replacing or fixing so may as well keep it
As a consequence she has renewed her meerkat mooveez for another year. So from next week we can do some catching up at the cinema using my 241 teekets tuesday and hers wednesday  O0  retirement is all about dukin n divin  {-)
ANDY

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2019, 10:35:40 am »

18 months ago we had 3 cars but since retiring, we dont need 3 so sold 2. The one car we now have only does 2500 to 3000 miles a year. It's just over 3 years old, no road tax and we alternate insurance in each other's name every year to keep our NCDs current (you can go without insurance for just under 3 years while keeping your NCD).
Id go electric, probably with an E Niro if I could afford it.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2019, 10:42:56 am »

we alternate insurance in each other's name every year to keep our NCDs current (you can go without insurance for just under 3 years while keeping your NCD).
good thinking  :-))

RST

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2019, 06:32:23 pm »

I used compare the market and another service once and it gave me such huge problems with unsolicited mail, relentless nuisance phone calls , people chasing me for things.  It took me about 2 years to de-register and block all the harrassment which I was getting which was traced back to a comparison site.  By the way it was traced back to a quotation I went and did which came back with "best value" 8K, so understandably that time I stuck with the existing insurers of sub 500quid.  I have nothing good to say of comparison sites -at best, they usually tell me i'm on the best deal.  If I enter genuine contact details I open up a wole heap of hell on unsolicited and uncontrollable use of my personal details.

Since my father passed away I am increadively protective of my mother.  Thankfully we are such a small family and keep thimgs simple and anti-internat we don't have to worry about much of the stuff you guys have to contend with!

RST

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2019, 07:00:50 pm »

who was it by the way that brought up left foot braking on auto's?

When I first drove an auto it was an "induction of fire" having drove manuals all my life.  The one thing I remember as far as my left foot concerns was "nail it to the floor".  I have had a few auto's since, in fact I have had some high powered cars >300bhp an some smaller autos.

I always checked the user manuals for each and every single car and none of them suggested the use of the left foot.  Also every single auto I have had says when you are sat at the traffic lights, move into park, and use the hand brake accordingly.

I learned on manuals and whhen I learned to drive autos I canhonestly say the best thing I was ever told was keep that left foot "nailed" to the ground.  Whenever I drive an auto now I always remember that.  Left foot has no place.  And I am talking from someone who had a 350 bhp toyota and a 310 hp mercedes down to shopping tolley worthy cars.  I have driven most inbeteween and never seen a case for left foot braking apart from here and I tink it's dangerous to promote it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.