Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183612 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Retirement
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2019, 07:04:19 pm »

While owning my newer Berlingo semi auto I have found no circumstance where left foot would be needed.
While in reverse on the level or downhill the car moves by itself just by easing off the brake so no need to touch the accelerator. If reversing uphill accelerator is required but stops as soon as I lift off. No need for two feet
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06:13 pm »

When I hired a car in San Francisco years ago I was used to manuals and instinctively tried to use the left foot for the brake. The agent told me in no uncertain terms to only use the right foot for accellerator and brake. He was right, I've had no problems with autos since.

Re insurance quotes, once you give your details to a comparison site you are on a hiding to nothing, they never leave you alone. Best to check out the better related insurers (who may not be the cheapest but you get the cover you pay for) and deal with them directly.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2019, 07:14:11 pm »

When I hired a car in San Francisco years ago I was used to manuals and instinctively tried to use the left foot for the brake. The agent told me in no uncertain terms to only use the right foot for accellerator and brake. He was right, I've had no problems with autos since.

Re insurance quotes, once you give your details to a comparison site you are on a hiding to nothing, they never leave you alone. Best to check out the better related insurers (who may not be the cheapest but you get the cover you pay for) and deal with them directly.

Colin
Not our personal experience at all with compare the market. They give you a list of quotes in price order and level of cover. Once you accept the one you're happy with the only email is to claim your reward. Cannot fault them and no junk mail.
I chose the AA most recently for best cover /price. Wife's new policy was cheapest with Hastings
ANDY

RST

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:56 pm »

....Right foot does it all, inspeakable in my generation to use left foot in an auto on the usual highway.  I am really shocked to hear folk do that, in my learning it repesents an element of uncontrol in the vehicle unless youre Ken Block or anyone needing to "balance pedals" to get the back-end round.
I can think of no circumstance where deviation from the approved guidelines fall secondary to internet rubbish

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2019, 07:43:55 pm »

We are currently changing our email address, well still doing it after 6 months - idiotic virgin media cannot apparently get permission off the council to dig a hole, anyway, we are using the new email and everything of importance is moved over, only those where we would always want them to know our address etc. but we still have the old address with BT, so whilst we are still paying for BT (VM wont start until they connect and the new address isn't even with them) we use that for quotes from builders suppliers etc and also still get most spam through the BT account, so the best option is to have two emails One for the necessary and one for the spam makers, simples  %)

As for left foot braking -  it's a question of ability, generally we are all told to use the right foot only, as in a manual - you use the right for accelerator and brake, but if you are comfortable and are capable of having the ability to use the left for braking, then providing you are able to meet the requirements set by DVLA, i.e. to stop in the necessary distance and under control I cannot see why not, I don't have that ability, so use my right when I have driven an automatic, usually I feel like a DVT is about to strike after extended periods of inactivity with my left leg in any car.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2019, 07:53:07 pm »

I've had my NTL email address for over 20 yrs and even with Virgin buying them out they still maintain my original address. I maybe get 2 spams per week so I must be doing something right  %%
ANDY

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2019, 08:05:40 pm »

a couple of times shortly after swappeing between a manual and an automatic, I have automatically stepped on the clutch when slowing down, both times I nearly went through the screen as I stamped on the brake, left foot firmly wedged in a corner after that.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2019, 08:08:06 pm »

a couple of times shortly after swappeing between a manual and an automatic, I have automatically stepped on the clutch when slowing down, both times I nearly went through the screen as I stamped on the brake, left foot firmly wedged in a corner after that.
:-))  Been there and agree

Meanwhile I'm getting more used to Sunday evenings and the complete absence of any notion of Monday morning and that four letter wurd  8)
ANDY

RST

« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »

When I hired a car in San Francisco years ago I was used to manuals and instinctively tried to use the left foot for the brake. The agent told me in no uncertain terms to only use the right foot for accellerator and brake. He was right, I've had no problems with autos since

I remember driving my first time in the states.  Going down the ramp in a GTx, the harder I put my foot down, the lower speed the car used to go, it used to rev like mad but go no faster at the bottom of the ramp.  I used to drive it like a european apparently rather than expecting to join.  I hope never to drive in the states again -I hope never to go back: too many guns, I never feel sfe

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2019, 08:19:11 pm »

Try Canada - much nicer!

Colin

RST

« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2019, 08:54:58 pm »

I set-up my own Ltd. company last year and I am not coverred to work in the USA. great news for me.  I hate amerirca -too many guns!

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2019, 09:13:13 pm »

Many years ago I worked for 3 weeks in Florida. The company provided a car (Ford Galaxy) and one weekend I drove the 200 odd miles to Cape Canaveral. After 2 hours or so at 55 mph I turned off route A1, down the clover leaf and put my foot on the clutch as I slowed down! The guy behind stopped as well!! When I returned to UK my Renault 6 stalled at every road junction. :D

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:41 pm »

As I understand it members of caravan and Motorhome club have free entry to RSPB
A trip to Fairburn Ings tomorrow I think  :-)

https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/fairburn-ings

ANDY

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2019, 09:25:35 am »

....Right foot does it all, inspeakable in my generation to use left foot in an auto on the usual highway.  I am really shocked to hear folk do that, in my learning it repesents an element of uncontrol in the vehicle unless youre Ken Block or anyone needing to "balance pedals" to get the back-end round.
I can think of no circumstance where deviation from the approved guidelines fall secondary to internet rubbish

Who's doing the 'approving'? Just because a car hire company executive says that it's wrong to left foot brake doesn't mean he's correct. How much experience do they have at even trying it?

As I said earlier, I was taught to left foot brake with an automatic during my test driving courses in the 1960s and updates and I always have.

I'm not sugesting that it's 'dangerous' or 'foolhardy' to right foot brake in an automatic, I'm just saying that I do it and it works for me. If all of you right foot brakers want to keep on doing it, that's fine, just don't expect me to follow your 'advice'.
Regards
Kit

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2019, 09:42:25 am »

Yes, but if you happen to be caught short and cross your legs... :o

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:28 am »

The hire man knew his stuff - he was offering sound advice to his market, probably in the hope of getting his car back in one piece.If you did your learning on an automatic, left foot braking will be natural.  BUT if you are a long time manual driver, when you get into an automatic, tuck your left leg out of the way.  The first time you set off, everything will work fine.  A few times down the line, your body will forget and you will find that when you press the clutch, (which is really a great big brake pedal), you really kick it, and everybody on board is now sitting at the front.
Almost as bad is a habitual auto driver going into a manual.  It happened to a work mate.  He drove a Triumph 200 Mk2 Auto, needed to borrow my works van (HA Viva) for a trip up the road.  All was OK until he stopped in the yard at the other end and wondered, briefly, why it was just bouncing up and down and spluttering.  Then he remembered the stick thingy and that other pedal.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:20 am »

Dear oh dear, all this telling other people what they should to...........

As I said before, one of my cars is manual and one is an auto. As it happens they're the same manufacturer and model too, Vauxhall Signums, so the gearbox is the major difference between them. I have no problems switching from one to the other, switching brake and clutch functions for my left foot appropriately.

But I'm not suggesting or even advising that others slavishly follow the system I use, do what works best for you, but please don't condemn other people's systems simply because they are different!

Regards
Kit

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2019, 09:33:16 pm »

As far as I know drivers in Formula 1 use left foot braking nowadays. So if you are used to it, it should be no problem. A friend of mine drives a car with paddles at the steering wheel and changed to left foot braking without facing any problems.

Aradi

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:58 am »

My friends had the same issue to stay or to go. He decided to go and retire 100%. He told me that we have only 1 life so no need in spending it on working all the time. He decided to buy this property in Greece and moved there with his wife. Kids are grown up, no need in taking care of them. So now he just enjoys life, sail a small boat and likes to have long walks.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:24 am »

RST what has the horse power and  powerful car got to do with braking left foot or otherwise or give you the right to condemn it . In my case I tried it and find it  very useful  I did not recommend it just gave my reasons as why, e.g. milliseconds saved in hitting the brake or accelator should that be required As for your selecting Park at traffic lights well brilliant  so your reversing lights flash on as you  prepare to move, the following drivers must love that.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2019, 12:02:11 pm »

Any chance the moderators could put an end to the discussion over left braking as it's getting heated.  <*<

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2019, 01:47:11 pm »

If you have a DSG auto, leaving in it drive and sitting on the brake at traffic lights has led to lots of DSG failures especially with VAG DQ200 gearboxes. I loved the auto in my Z4. At traffic lights or queues, you just pressed the button on the side of the selector and it put the car in park eliminating the need to sit on the brake and annoy the driver behind.
If people dont want to use or cannot get used to 'left foot' braking in an auto, all I can say is, Id been driving manuals since I passed my test back in 1974. Within a very short time of driving my autos, I was using left foot braking no problems.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2019, 01:52:11 pm »

Chillax everyone please  :-)
Each to their own

Signed a retiree  :-))  not wishing to sound moderatorish but I feel responsible for this thread.
Meanwhile I'm not required at work next week either  :}  that'll be three straight weeks
ANDY

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:36 am »

I only do 20 hours a week which equates to 1044 hours per year - but being on a need to be in shift pattern that doesn't exactly stick to 20 hours a week, this 1044 gets used up quite quickly -  :D  so I have been off since Jan 7th until March 31st - only down side is we have mandatory training day each year and a requirement that if off for more than 28 days we have to work a day to maintain our certification. that means I have two days to work before the end of March - though all overtime.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2019, 02:54:23 pm »

All this left foot right foot :embarrassed: I swap between both as and when needed, even using left foot braking in the manual Picasso at times - sometimes its just more stable in corners to keep the throttle slightly open while braking with the left foot, it cures it of understeer.

But more to the point if I'm out in the MG and wanting som 'spirited' driving I revert to heel and toeing the clutch brake and accelerator, anybody remember heel and toeing from the early days? Its not strictly necessary with a modern synchro gearbox but it does seem to help the MG!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.