Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183616 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Retirement
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:11 pm »

As the weather was nice today, I decided it was time to fit the new chain and derailier to the mountain bike. Put the work stand up and was surprisingly easy to index the gears and get a smooth change through all 21 gears. Looking good for tomorrow to go on a 20k bike ride.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2019, 09:00:47 am »

As the weather was nice today, I decided it was time to fit the new chain and derailier to the mountain bike. Put the work stand up and was surprisingly easy to index the gears and get a smooth change through all 21 gears. Looking good for tomorrow to go on a 20k bike ride.
Its a long bike ride to find mountains from Thornton Cleveleys, probably more than 20K there and back.  I believe that Bonds at Elswick have shut their ice cream counter, so a different objective might be needed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2019, 09:05:15 am »

It’s cracking the flags here at Clumber Park and I’ve never seen a caravan site so busy during the week especially in February.
Brakes are off now and full speed into the advantages of not relying on the weekends.
I might get my Brompton out for a pootle  O0
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2019, 04:10:13 pm »

Oh Malcolm, they put their bikes on the rack, drive 50 miles to ride 20 and drive back again in time for tea. doh nemesis

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2019, 06:50:18 pm »

Its a long bike ride to find mountains from Thornton Cleveleys, probably more than 20K there and back.  I believe that Bonds at Elswick have shut their ice cream counter, so a different objective might be needed.
Hehe. Bourne Hill is about as high as it gets. I went to Fleetwood and cycled along the sea front, past Rossall, Cleveleys to Bispham Tram Station and back. Not far off 20k I think plus I dont have to go on much road so its a safer ride all told.
They've invested some money on the sea wall along most of the stretch so it's a nice ride or walk if you're inclined.
 I did forget to take a couple of quid with me and the sea front shops were doing a brisk trade in ices and the like  :((
I used to have an old Elswick Hopper but that came from Newcastle I believe.
Oh and tomorrow, its a nice walk around Fleetwood Asda with wifey  <:(

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:10 am »

Oh Malcolm, they put their bikes on the rack, drive 50 miles to ride 20 and drive back again in time for tea. doh nemesis
As a growing lad I was quite keen, 100+ miles being "a good day out", but after learning to drive, things got different. 
One day, a few years on, needing to bike it to work about 7 miles from home, I peddled myself along (Fylde coast, pan flat) and spent about 20 minutes getting the breathing back to normal on arrival.  Nowadays, taking a yacht for a walk up and down Fairhaven (½ mile there another ½ back) satisfies my need to burn off a few calories to keep my waistband under control.
A country lane ride back then was grand - I would be terrified today with the change in traffic.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2019, 09:33:28 pm »

I used to do very many miles on all manner of roads in all manner of traffic conditions without fear. If the fitness is there it boosts the assuredness and handling 3 lane roundabout's a synch  {-)  BUT a small change in lifestyle/circumstances can take all that away. I now rarely ride and have not competed for about 6 yrs now but in my last year at about 55 I did every distance time trial from 10 mile to the 12hr event. It's now a closed chapter of my life that I reflect on fondly.
Model boat building can be far more stressful  O0

ANDY

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2019, 10:07:28 pm »

I’m 69 and a keen cyclist. I took it up 9 years ago. I’ve done a few sportifs, Étape Eryri, tour de Môn, Étape Australia twice and got an early bird entry for next year. Doing the Big Canberra Bike Ride with my daughter this Sunday. I use my uk bike to do any long distance shopping when cruising my Narrowboat back in uk.
Love it and fitter than I’ve ever been.
Jerry.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2019, 10:12:51 pm »

I'm impressed.  :-))
Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2019, 10:14:01 pm »

A very popular event is the La Ronde Picardie, Northern France and a choice of 3 distances. I did the 185k four years running.
It starts in Abbeville and is fully marshalled so traffic is stopped for you.
The Grande Trophy Competition has many events across France to go at.

The climb from Ault
ANDY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2019, 11:14:29 pm »

All this talk of long distance bicycle  riding  %)

About 30 years before retirement, I borrowed my daughters boyfriends new fangled Mountain Bike [remembering OZ is a Land of mountain ranges & sweeping plains]

My track was from Wollongong to the North.....[along a tared bicycle track......with near ZERO variation in elevation]

Yes...Wollongong to North Wollongong to Fairy Meadow to Towradgi to Corrimal to Woonona & then to Bulli....probably about 11 kilometers as the crow flies

Proudly dismounted & had a swig of Cotties Lemon Crush......then rode back to Wollongong

Next day I decided to venture further north of Bulli........ O0  ....got 2 kilometers to Fairy Meadow & legs locked up with cramps <*<

Have not ventured on a pushie since............. Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2019, 11:52:58 am »

Have not ventured on a pushie since

You should have tried a unicycle Derek, only one wheel so half the effort and 360 degree steering....

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2019, 12:18:43 pm »

Naw its the obligatory wearing of his hereditary ball and chain that is the problem %)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2019, 08:40:30 pm »

5 weeks/15 working days and counting!

Looking forward to it.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2019, 09:22:11 am »

I suppose I qualify as semi-retired, after 2 redundancies is the past 5 years in the social housing sector, then the last outfit I was 2pd over to said I would be made redundant again I said tell you what I'll save you the paper work and quit....took some time off last year after that to sort out my blood pressure which wasn't great and went to visit the new grand daughter on Vancouver Island in July. Now I work part time at a local car auction and we take in french students, who are out all day on outings. As were now empty nesters, except 2 dogs, life is fairly quiet but I have to keep a positive account balance to satisfy the Home Office as still on a Visa here, oh well, more time for dog walks and fiddling about in the shed now its warming up a bit. Wife is expecting spinal surgery soon on L4 5 and 6, but daughter number 2 will come home to help me sort her out...

The Old Gals

• Full Mayhemer
  • If you can't beat 'em . . .
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2019, 11:03:40 am »

I used to do very many miles on all manner of roads in all manner of traffic conditions without fear. If the fitness is there it boosts the assuredness and handling 3 lane roundabout's a synch  {-)  BUT a small change in lifestyle/circumstances can take all that away. I now rarely ride and have not competed for about 6 yrs now but in my last year at about 55 I did every distance time trial from 10 mile to the 12hr event. It's now a closed chapter of my life that I reflect on fondly.
Model boat building can be far more stressful  O0

[s/quote]. Is that a MAMIL I see?  (Tess  O0 )

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2019, 11:12:30 am »

Had a friend over last weekend - ended up talking about retirement - his cunning plan is to cash up everything, cash up his pensions, sell the house and buy an Aston Martin and he also wants to go around the world.

He says he's fed up of living the small life and is going to enjoy himself - and if it all goes wrong, he'll dump himself on the state to sort it out.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2019, 11:27:15 am »

Passed middle age Tess  {:-{
ANDY

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2019, 04:13:48 pm »

Going back to Pensions and contracting out just had My latest figures and contracting out  deduction is £129 less in  my state pension there is no way to check if I saved that amount by paying less on contracting out

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2019, 04:19:08 pm »

Mines the same.
Even if I knew the answer,
it's too late to do anything
about it >>:-(
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2019, 06:49:46 pm »

Yup! Ned but I think  it is wrong they will not give you the details so you can work out   how  much of a mistake we might have made
Expect they are concerned some wizard might prove their figures are wrong {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2019, 06:57:33 pm »

1. Best not to know - it will only make you miserable.

2. Yes, the figures are probably wrong but could be in your favour - do you feel lucky?

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2019, 07:17:19 pm »

Matters not Colin we are supposed to be in an era of freedom of information

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2019, 07:54:01 pm »

Too much information can be dangerous.  :o

Trying to follow Government pension calculations will do your head in and may seriously reduce the time for which your pension is payable. Not a desirable outcome.

Rough comparisons are best. Is your pension more or less the same as your friends in a similar situation? In my case my Wife gets a bit more on the state pension and didn't contract out but I have a good occupational pension. We both qualifed for the full state pension but of course entitlement changed over the years every time they altered the rules.
The whole thing is a bureaucratic black hole really. If you think you are getting a reasonable amount then best to stick with it.
If you made the wrong decision years back there is nothing you can do to remedy the situation. You did what you thought was best at the time. Be philosophical.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2019, 09:18:22 pm »

The one good thing is that we have and are living in a period of relatively low inflation which gives you a chance to swim against the tide of depreciation.   I remember back in 1975 inflation rate was 24% pa. and a lot of years were not far behind .    That meant the value of your fixed pension was more than halving every 3 years . Hopefully we never go there again.  What you need when you retire and take some lump sums is a damn good financial advisor who can sort you out with investments that will show you a return.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.