Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183581 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Retirement
« Reply #375 on: November 26, 2019, 08:48:43 am »

I was Blinded by the Light…………………….. [ reference to the Manfred Mann Earth Band  {-) ...[so no wonder he cannot read]

Well Baldrick, see if your new 2 1/2 x magnification bottle bottom lenses can read that  :P  if so, you could list your new Occupation as a Reader

I will buy the first member [a pint of Guinness] who can untangle the words, [when I next see him or her in the Pub]

Derek

Easy , did not even have to use cmd + on the keyboard.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #376 on: November 26, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »

Don't know manfred Mann lyrics , but something something by the light?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #377 on: November 26, 2019, 09:23:23 pm »

deleted

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #378 on: November 26, 2019, 10:31:27 pm »

There we go

We want your glasses to be perfect, so please read the following information carefully and then we'll do the rest to ensure that you are delighted with your purchase.
We are sending you a pupillary distance ruler as used by Opticians in the post. This is a gift from us and yours to keep. It is easy to use and comes with some brief instruction.

Please provide us with a photograph of yourself wearing the ruler we have sent to you. Please closely follow the photograph hints and tips provided in the letter. It explains our requirements for the image we need to work from.

Many Thanks,

This is what comes with clear instructions .
Emailed photo directly back and order is confirmed

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #379 on: November 27, 2019, 05:14:39 am »

Don't think much of these glasses above...... I would have preferred a pair of the round  green tinted ones like John Lennon used to wear.

David.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #380 on: November 27, 2019, 05:30:47 am »

So close warspite.....[the MM Earth Band] .....maybe worth a 1/2 pint of Light Beer as the prize......haha... {-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #381 on: November 27, 2019, 11:05:11 am »

Blinded
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #382 on: November 27, 2019, 08:45:51 pm »

You got it David :-)) .........such a great song!.........

Now about that pint of Guinness.......could I check my planning register & confirm later my next trip to your part of the world :-X

Derek

PS....now....with me not being an experienced Traveller, [to put it bluntly, the last time my forebears left England was in 1780 something as Convicts in the First Fleet, so would it be OK if I flew to London  ..hopped on a Red + Blue Tourist bus that went to No 10 Downing Street & asked the Driver to just drop me off at the nearest Pub in Aberdeenshire? :embarrassed:

So being a little excited I searched Google for Pubs in Aberdeenshire....and the Ythanview Hotel [sounds a typical Australian word] displays a nice drop of Aberdeenshire beer, but I am a little confused as they are also mention a warm something of Scotland......

To add to further confusion, I assumed Aberdeen was a suburb near London.......according the the BREX*T papers, isn't Scotland another Country somewhere else?

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: November 28, 2019, 11:42:42 pm »

Scotland /England is a bit of a hot tattle at the moment  ,all very political so it will not , should not and will not be discussed on this forum by me  My nearest pub is 15 miles round trip . Sick to the back teeth of the lot of them . 1 dram and you could loss the license to drive. Happy Christmas
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: November 29, 2019, 12:24:28 am »

Well David........this Cock& Bull Pub on your Ellon Road appears a quaint place, but the Car Park is empty?  %)

Could this be that they are  overcharging for drinks?........the Kitchen has an Australian Chef?........or like you......the realisation that you cannot drink & drive

I am the same....I have one light beer at our monthly Steamers members BBQ, then Zero on all other days when driving ......

Our Steamers track is bounded by Public Park areas just by the sea just 1 kilometre from the centre of the City of Wollongong, so is a very popular area for local  :police:  doing their job catching dingbat drivers over the alcohol limit or with prohibited substances in their systems

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #385 on: November 29, 2019, 02:01:10 pm »

Well David........this Cock& Bull Pub on your Ellon Road appears a quaint place, but the Car Park is empty?  %)
Derek
There are times during the day when some English and Scottish pubs are closed, especially the quaint ones in rural areas. It's not mandatory to open 12 hours a day although many city pubs and bars would lose a lot of trade if they didn't.

Ah! It's Friday afternoon again so I'm off to The Hand and Heart to sort out the world's problems (again...) with old mate 'Irish' Dave B.

Slàinte mhaith!

https://www.thehandandheart.co.uk/

Dave M

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2019, 02:38:29 pm »

I’ve been to the doctors then to my mothers to fix her electrics then LGI for X-ray of hips then shopping in Leeds now pub to recover  %%
ANDY

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2019, 03:47:08 pm »

That drink must be very viscous to stay in the glass like that , even when you are horizontal.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »

And a superb looking Pub....the https://www.thehandandheart.co.uk/ you have there Dave  :-)) ....hewn out of Limestone caves....I bet they don't need air conditioning......

So with the map of Nottingham, I imagined Friar Tuck in the Cellar making his 4% W/W Home made Brew O0  & Maid Marion flitting around the upstairs rooms

The Food Menu had me intrigued....being an Early Opener @ 9:00 AM on Thursdays for Breakfast?.......are Thursdays Pension days in UK?

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2019, 07:59:22 pm »

Ans a superb looking Pub....the https://www.thehandandheart.co.uk/ you have there Dave  :-)) ....hewn out of Limestone caves....I bet they don't need air conditioning......

So with the map of Nottingham, I imagined Friar Tuck in the Cellar making his 4% W/W Home made Brew O0  & Maid Marion flitting around the upstairs rooms

The Food Menu had me intrigued....being an Early Opener @ 9:00 AM on Thursdays for Breakfast?.......are Thursdays Pension days in UK?

Derek
It is indeed a superb pub, Derek.

Friar Tuck is a myth, as are Little John and Robin Hood and their association with Nottingham Castle. That building is currently in its fourth or fifth rebuild and looks nothing like the one in the terrible Costner movie (Alan "Cancel Christmas!" Rickman excepted). The caves are real, though.

Thursday always used to be Pension Day until HMG actively discouraged paying out cash, but there are still some pockets of resistance who queue at the Post Office for their weekly handout. Then it's 'off down the pub' or the betting shop. Old habits it seems die hard around here!

Irish Dave and I fondly remember the Thursdays when all the nutters in Nottingham seemed to decend on the local boozer at lunchtime........ which is possibly why we only meet on a Friday.
Happy daze...

Dave M

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: November 29, 2019, 08:17:45 pm »

Dave....I backed via Google & found the Robin Hood series I remember....& what a thrilling program it was .....in the last episode, King John returned triumphant from the war in the Holy Land but I am not sure if Robin was Pardoned? & get hitched to his beloved Marion  :kiss:

I am now however shattered that you suggest it was all a myth  <:(

Richard Greene

The Adventures of Robin Hood is a British television series comprising 143 half-hour, black and white episodes broadcast weekly between 1955 and 1959 on ITV. It starred Richard Greene as the outlaw Robin Hood, and Alan Wheatley as his nemesis, the Sheriff of Nottingham

I really have mixed emotions about Retirement Villages supplying free bus transport for retirees on Thursday Pension Day to be shipped off to Registered Clubs for 1/2 price Luncheons........you don't think the attraction of Poker Machines <*< would have any link would you?

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #391 on: November 29, 2019, 10:21:40 pm »

Prince John was the baddie  <*<    King Richard was the one who went off to the Holy Land and was captured on his way home.   Located by a minstrel if I remember right.
Don't forget Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #392 on: November 29, 2019, 10:26:41 pm »

Never mind the sloping beer that’s just an aside
Get your Xmas order for new joints in early  O0
Can’t fault NHS I waited about 10 minutes to get zapped with rays  8)  but make sure you put the gown on the right way around  {-)

ANDY

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #393 on: November 29, 2019, 10:50:47 pm »

Get your Xmas order for new joints in early  O0
Can’t fault NHS I waited about 10 minutes to get zapped
10 minutes to get zapped?? That's STRONG stuff!!
I've already ordered mine, plus a pack of King-size Rizzlas. Will it be on prescription (and thus free to us old f*rts?).
Roll on, dude......... 8)
DaveM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #394 on: November 29, 2019, 10:54:38 pm »

Wife wants to cash some chips in and go private  {:-{
See what the X-ray shows first before Ultra sound
ANDY

RST

« Reply #395 on: November 29, 2019, 11:26:55 pm »

Whatever you do don't go to specsavers!!!!!!!!!
Go to a good dispensing optomtrist.  Your eyes mean everythig!  No differerent if you go to your GP and he says come back with a measure.
So many things wrong with you being sent a ruler to make your own measurements!!!!!!!

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #396 on: November 30, 2019, 02:17:09 am »

Our Optometrist does more than proscribe glasses.  They do a full eye health check including detached retina and other problems (thank goodness)
I need prism lenses for double vision so 'off the shelf' are useless for me.  8)

RST

« Reply #397 on: November 30, 2019, 02:48:25 am »

This is what comes with clear instructions .
Emailed photo directly back and order is confirmed
Congratulations on retiring you're now apparently a qualfied dispensing optometrist if it's that easy.  Having experienced just how bad spesavers are -I tried them to save a few pounds and they were absolutely awful like everyone I knew sid they were.  It reminded me just how good my retired optician was.  I would wager there is almost NO way you can measure your eyes properly yourself! unless of course you are a professional!  Do it properly and go through a professional, your eyes are worth it!!!!!

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: November 30, 2019, 05:08:46 am »

Even a professional would need to go to another professional.    %)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #399 on: November 30, 2019, 08:06:01 am »

Hi I would like to contribute, not contradict here.  It really comes down to people rather than companies.  My experience of our local opticians had been very good but one member of staff spoiled it and I never went back.  He literally broke the glasses I came in wearing.  Then he had the nerve to try and sell me replacements!

I checked around the other suppliers.  My wife swears by Boots, I went in and was not happy with how I was dealt with, likewise Vision Express the two staff I spoke to could not have cared less whether I shopped with them or not.  I went into Specsavers they were busy and the manager stepped in and dealt with me.

It was a masterly experience in customer service.  The technical side of the companies I am sure were all well qualified as I have had more than a few eye tests.  Specsavers was excellent.
So you may find you are talking about customer service as delivered at the coal face which may have fallen short of the companies' training and ideals.  The staff out front are sales persons and we all know some are better than others.
Regards Roy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.