Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183580 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Retirement
« Reply #400 on: November 30, 2019, 08:43:36 am »

All I have done is measure the pupillary distance
Everything else was of course done by a qualified optician at Boots
The frames I have chosen are exactly the same dimensions as the ones I wear so no issues there
The difference is I got the top level spec of varifocal lense for a very big discount

Believe me if they are rubbish you will all be the second to know about it
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:40 am »

Having experienced just how bad spesavers are -I tried them to save a few pounds and they were absolutely awful like everyone I knew sid they were.

I don't think that is a fair comment. Also, some people appear not to have read Taranis first post on the subject which makes it clear he has had a professional eye examination.

I have been using Specsavers for many years and they have been fine as Roy says. Their Optimetrists, who are often youngish asian ladies, clearly know their stuff and can discuss your eye health with you and answer any questions. ( I have regular consultant examinations for a glaucoma condition and I would know if they were not competent). I have found theur prescriptions to be accurate too. I currently have near 20/20 vision with my varifocals which is pretty good at my age.

I'm not altogether sure how well the average person would cope with the self measuring process but Taranis with his model making skills should have no problem with that.

If you buy cheap frames and lenses then you won't get the same experience as if you go for the more expensive options and Specsavers make tht clear. There is also the issue that some people are not suited to varifocals (or contact lenses) and are disappointed but that is not the fault of the optician who sometimes gets the blame. I find it best to have a largish lens size for varifocals as the graduation between long and short sight can be spread over a larger area. People don't always realise this.

Going back to Roy's comment about service levels being a people and training thing, this is of course true. It is also true, although it maybe should not be, that service providers tend to react better if treated with courtesy by customers and that is certainly something that doesn't always happen in the world we live in today. People like to be appreciated and become more helpful if they are.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #402 on: November 30, 2019, 10:25:26 am »

Thank you Colin

I would add for general information that the pupillary distance is not simply the distance between pupils but more importantly the position of your pupils in relation to the bridge of your nose. Non of us are symmetrical and your glasses sit on your bridge regardless of where your eyes are in relation. It's not rocket science and the online manufacturer is happy with the pictures I supplied otherwise they would not proceed. The lenses I've ordered would be two tiers up in price (over what I paid for my current pair) at Boots and out of my pocket.

Also this will be my fourth pair of varifocals so I cannot be regarded as a novice  {-)
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: November 30, 2019, 10:57:09 am »

Just for info. The occasional typos in some of my posts are down to minor macular scars which mean that sometimes when using very small font sizes on the PC screen the odd letter sometimes vanishes or becomes distorted. I do try to find them but you always see what you expect to.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: November 30, 2019, 12:07:39 pm »

Colin....I have recently installed a free software package .....https://app.grammarly.com/ ...for Chrome within Windows 10

It is an American sourced program, however still speaks with the Queens English

It not only prompts at typos or spelling errors, however also provides suggestions on phraseology ..........it is not without error and it's huge Database is learning from my additions to acceptable prose {-)

I do find it interesting and suggest it is seriously worth trialling

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: November 30, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »

Thanks Derek. Looks interesting but I'm only concerned about spelling typos, not grammar or style. There is a built in spell checker for my word processor. Firefox has an inbuilt one too but it doesn't seem to carry across to the Mayhem text editor.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #406 on: December 04, 2019, 05:28:55 pm »

Notification of glasses dispatch. Hopefully receive for the weekend
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #407 on: December 05, 2019, 09:51:06 pm »

Notification of glasses dispatch. Hopefully receive for the weekend
Arrived today and had them on about 10 hrs. Honestly cannot say I can fault them  :-)
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #408 on: December 05, 2019, 10:13:43 pm »

Good call then and you obviously got the measurements right!

Saved a bit of cash there then.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #409 on: January 06, 2020, 07:15:54 pm »

Glasses have been fine so will use them again. :-))

Today I've used compare the market for car insurance renewal
AA wanted £413 to renew
Changed to Hastings Direct £258 also changed to RETIRED no commuting SDP only and 5k per year
Bonus a full 12 months of 2for1 again.

Also recently did same with house and contents and saved over £100 for better cover.
ANDY

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #410 on: January 08, 2020, 02:21:02 pm »

Glasses have been fine so will use them again. :-))

Today I've used compare the market for car insurance renewal
AA wanted £413 to renew
Changed to Hastings Direct £258 also changed to RETIRED no commuting SDP only and 5k per year
Bonus a full 12 months of 2for1 again.

Also recently did same with house and contents and saved over £100 for better cover.

Wife and I used to have our own cars each with our own insurance and hence NCD. Just before I retired, I sold my car but didnt want to lose my NCD.
An article by Honest John (of the telegraph) on his website caught my eye. Someone was in a similar position and the suggestion was to alternate the insurance each year at renewal so both husband and wife keep their separate NCD live.

So, year 1 wife doesnt renew and both are named on husband's policy.
Year 2, wife takes out new policy and retains her NCD because her details are kept on MIB's database. Both husband and wife are named on her policy.Year 3, back to hubby's policy etc, etc.
Yes, it's a bit of a faff but if only 1 party holds the insurance and 4 years down the line, one party is no longer here, the surviving party has to start their NCD from scratch.
I believe your insurance details are retained on the MIB for 3 full years but after 2 years without an active policy, the insurer may make you jump through more hoops to re activate your past NCD.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2020, 02:27:35 pm »

That's a useful idea  :-))  We were going to drop to one vehicle too but after retiring my wife's car ins dropped to £199
It's worth more for convenience than what it may have fetched as a 2010 207 so it will be run into the ground.
My 2015 euro 6 Berlingo with ETG6 auto just fell inside the £20 road fund licence cut off Sept 2015 and for a vehicle as Aero as a brick it returns 50mpg consistently. Room for two LARGE boats in the back with seats folded  :-)
ANDY

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2020, 03:29:18 pm »

We do that as well alternating year to year, sold the wifes car when we retired as it wasn't needed. As we both use what was "my" car we don't really have a main driver now so it doesn't matter whose name is on the policy and who is named as an additional driver.  Well worth doing to keep both our NCDs going

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2020, 10:17:10 pm »

Be careful if you change the policyholder each year without also swapping ownership of the vehicle.  Insurers invariably ask if the policyholder is the both the owner and also the registered keeper of the vehicle.
My sister failed to report that her husband was the registered keeper and her accident claim was rejected for failure to disclose relevant facts.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2020, 10:29:13 pm »

I’ll bear that in mind Alan but I don’t recall being asked verbally or on paper whether I own the vehicle
The quote only asks for main driver details and second named driver along with their no claims history, accident record and licence details
I’m going to change to that auto Sergei in future too

I have lost count of my no claims years but they only apply 9 anyway and we both have that at least and no accidents in last 5 yrs required
I’ve not had an accident of my fault since 1996
ANDY

RST

« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2020, 10:34:10 pm »

Your Hastings direct quote doesn't sound amazing to me?  What are you driving? I'm relatively young, drive a big 3L V6 turbo mercedes with lots of miles incl business  and live in a not great area with no driveway and I'm not paying much more!

I went compare market / go compare once and never again. It's well known they don't give the best deals to the consumer. That and 2 years of constant harassment afterwards which stopped short of police involvement.  Never again. If I have to enter details in a blind quotation box since I make sure one letter or number is accidentally wrong to save harassment afterwards.

...I too have to declare if I am the registered owner though and it does make a difference. It's all in the t's and C's and small print.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2020, 10:36:14 pm »

Hi Rich
I don't think I said it is amazing ? Simply a very large sum of money cheaper than last years cheapest quote

Insurance is dictated by post codes and risk of where kept overnight

Lucky to be in Leeds
Very many in Bradford don’t bother with insurance as the potential fines are far cheaper
Hence the current police campaign

Registered keeper is recorded with DVLA and is not the same as who owns it.
I wasn’t required to answer either question but if we were we both own the vehicle but it can only be registered in one name

ANDY

RST

« Reply #417 on: January 08, 2020, 10:45:33 pm »

I didn't say it was amazing, just not amazing result. But your deal didn't sound that great unless you're not in a Great area?

....meh. when it comes to insurance there's no point In comparing.  Way too many variabales. I just know to heed the consumer experts and avoid the comparison sites now. There's always better deals without selling your soul to the internet.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #418 on: January 08, 2020, 10:55:31 pm »

Nowhere in Leeds is a great area  {-)  a population heading for 800,000 and Bradford next door  %%
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: January 08, 2020, 11:11:29 pm »

Think on , Not all insurance companies are equal as I found out to my cost and you only find out when you have to claim
I had two no fault accidents in three years the first handled by LV . Within 3 hours the car was picked up and a replacement delivered . The Partner Tepee Outdoor was a loss and the claim settled within three weeks
The second a Suzuki Swift , The car was collected at the accident site we were left in the middle of nowhere despite having cover for a replacement car. It took 3 days to get a replacement loan car and 10 weeks for the car to be repaired and it took nearly two years to get back out of pocket expenses for a taxi fare to our original destination
So with the newer Partner Tepee Iv kept with LV and upto now they remain a little more expensive but still competitive as long as you dont auto renew
cheers

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #420 on: January 09, 2020, 07:50:47 am »

Completely agree must be careful.
I've gone with Hastings Direct who have excellent independent feedback and ins provider of the year 2018
On this occasion they were also the cheapest quote but that isn't my priority
Cheers
ANDY

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #421 on: January 09, 2020, 08:23:10 am »

Used to use a 40 year old MG Midget as everyday transport until 2010 in UK - (takes 3 reasonable sized model boats behind the seats snugly) - big advantage - no road tax - Classic insurance through the club including recovery anywhere in Europe , agreed valuation at 7500 - cost was 140 a year. 1 small claim and 1 recovery UK in 4 years - not a moments hassle.........Now in SA - insurance exorbitant but a least can be paid monthly.............

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #422 on: January 09, 2020, 12:10:49 pm »

I have been with LV= for years. I get a discount of some sort from being a retired Unison member. They are not the cheapest and in the past I have had to argue the premium down but not for the last couple of years when the renewal quote has looked reasonable.

I have not had many claims but they have all been dealt with efficiently and quickly. My Daughter is with Direct Line and they have been very good too. Really cheap quotes are cheap for a reason.

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #423 on: January 09, 2020, 01:58:12 pm »

Be careful if you change the policyholder each year without also swapping ownership of the vehicle.  Insurers invariably ask if the policyholder is the both the owner and also the registered keeper of the vehicle.
My sister failed to report that her husband was the registered keeper and her accident claim was rejected for failure to disclose relevant facts.
My wife's vehicle is registered in my name because the finance company wouldnt allow it in hers. She had the vehicle insured in her name with me as the registered owner for the previous 3 years. You do NOT need to change vehicle ownership \ keeper with DVLA every year either. This is because she has a beneficial interest in the vehicle ie she actively drives it.
You might find if you try to do alternate each year with the same company, their website may not recognise the change to the other partner and issue a renewal to the original insured. But as we generally change insurers to get the best price and conditions, this shouldnt be a problem. My last policy was with DirectLine, wife was with LV. Policy in my name is with quote me happy which included free legal protection for a year whereas many others wanted an additional £25 for this.

Yes, you must fully disclose details and as with anything, if you fail to declare you could have an issue.
If you have any doubts about the alternating Insurance, may I suggest you contact Tim Kelly, HJ's associated insurance guru who gave me the advice. His website is www.motorclaimguru.co.uk
This is not a complete answer to the question and no, it's not mine. I contacted him directly to ask a similar question https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/80545/will-switching-policy-holder-every-year-allow-both-my-wife-and-i-to-retain-our-ncb-

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #424 on: January 09, 2020, 04:20:51 pm »

many thanks for all the input from members definitely food for thought when annual renewal is due.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.