Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183666 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Retirement
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2020, 05:16:09 pm »

I have been with LV= for years. I get a discount of some sort from being a retired Unison member. They are not the cheapest and in the past I have had to argue the premium down but not for the last couple of years when the renewal quote has looked reasonable.

I have not had many claims but they have all been dealt with efficiently and quickly. My Daughter is with Direct Line and they have been very good too. Really cheap quotes are cheap for a reason.

Colin
You would think so wouldn't you but not strictly true if you mean because the service will be lower
Some years ago I moved from Direct line to LV because they where vastly cheaper. That didn't last long because as with most insurers they try to lay it on year on year proving loyalty doesn't pay.

My AA renewal quoted £413 and telling me that last years premium had a 40% introductory discount  {-) 
It really is all salesmanship trickery and many reputable companies on compare the market deliberately give low quotes to gain those very low risk drivers (not the accident prone) in the hope that next year they will auto renew.
Direct line use their own repair workshops and in my experience they are very low standard and often put parts on the insurance bill that were not damaged.

Cannot trust any of them but best to stick with the bigger names.

P.S. anyone who's done a speed awareness course? do not tell those insurance companies that ask that question.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2020, 05:24:55 pm »

Insurance is always a lottery and all the providers* are out to milk you. Some give better service than others. My Daughter can only speak for her own experience of Direct Line including a rear quarter rebuild when somebody ran into the back of her. The job was done well.

A  lot of people were caught out by lower quotes in recent years when they didn't realise that the insurers had reduced their continental cover to 3rd party from a UK comprehensive policy. Of course it was in the small print but not drawn attention to and people just assumed they were getting what they previously had. Some had a rather nasty shock.

* all financial providers are out to milk you unfortunately, more so than ever before.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #427 on: January 09, 2020, 05:27:20 pm »

Yes the 3rd party thing was underhanded for sure. Also comprehensive used to include driving other cars too but that got culled.
Hastings include driving other cars and an additional (clean) driver on the policy brings the premium down rather than up
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2020, 05:30:00 pm »

Hastings include driving other cars and an additional driver on the policy brings the premium down rather than up

Same with my LV= policy on which my daughter is a named driver. I can drive other cars too but only on a 3rd party basis.

Colin

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2020, 06:46:03 pm »

When renewing I always get a quote and a reference number as a new customer then pin the sales people down to that price
Recently had a another good discount from the RAC by doing this, over 40 percent discount and home start thrown in
They are all greedy for new customers and in most cases will match the new customer quote if not then I move on
Been of Scots / Lancashire  heritage Iv got deep pocket's and short arms
Cheers

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #430 on: January 09, 2020, 06:52:15 pm »

Coincidentally we had a letter today from RAC about the renewal of Liz's policy. The price quoted was suspiciously high so I tried Hastings Direct, with whom I'm already insured. Their quote was £50 less with the same cover, which was well worth the effort.

The Renewal Notice from the RAC was several sheets of A4, printed in Portrait format but with one side opposed vertically from the other one. These sheets were then folded and stapled into an A5 "booklet" which was thus rendered almost unreadable. Maybe the intention was to make the policy-holder thing "ah, feckit - just renew the thing". I'm always up for a challenge like that!

It took me maybe five minutes to complete all of Liz's details on Hastings' website and pay them for the new policy on-line. Job done? Not quite...

I was on the phone to the RAC for almost ten minutes, simpy trying to tell them that we were not going to renew the policy with them and not to take any money from our bank in consequence. A lot of this time was taken up with a recorded reading of their T&C's TWICE, followed by one of those horrible Algorithm "conversations" where you have to try to sound like a BBC announcer while reciting contact and security information. When I finally got to speak to "Simon" (a sotto voce Geordie) he tried his level best to reduce the premium, despite my having told him that I'd been quoted 25% less for identical cover and so not to waste our mutual time.

What bothers me most is that this sort of corporate on-line AI-driven insanity is becoming the accepted norm. I'm old enough to remember going into my local Insurance Agent's office and talking through the process with a real live breathing person. That was well worth the commission I knew I was paying to them for finding me a policy which I could afford and which would cover my likely needs. Who needs Meerkats or dodgy tenors with twirly moustaches?

Come back, Frans Kafka. You'd have a ball in the 21st century society!

DaveM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #431 on: January 09, 2020, 07:26:27 pm »

I'm with you Dave
However if you put those same details into Compare the market it will in seconds provide them to every insurer that participates and list all the quotes in price order.
If you then go on to buy one of the policies you qualify for 241 meals and cinema
We save as Seniors at least £8.50 per week at the pictures :-)

I did have exactly the same palaver with the AA that you recited   {-)

I recommend that you or Liz download the Hastings app !! excellent
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #432 on: January 09, 2020, 07:35:20 pm »

Anyone drink Spanish brandy? Soberano?
You can import direct from Barcelona for pennies over £10 per litre including delivery if you buy 12 bottles.

Also if you do buy from Europe and hate PayPal charges I recommend REVOLUT card. I've had one since they started a good few years ago now. Gives you the up to the minute interbank exchange rate for almost any currency. Nothing on the high street comes close and its instant on your phone app.
So you can keep separate wallets of currencies and top them up when the exchange rate is best to spend later
ANDY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #433 on: January 09, 2020, 09:23:19 pm »

Yes DM.....Corporate Flyers in the Insurance Industry [pinstriped suited CEO's & the like] are universal in this day & age

In OZ we have conducted a Royal Commission into the Banking Industry [multi millions of $ to be repaid to consumers for theft by deception]

Same applies to our Insurance Industry & the insurance models offered would only be a milisecond from the same trash offered up by UK providers

Plain English Worded Policies?  ... for every 1 page reduction in the T&C = a 10 fold increase in complexity of a Claim Form  <*<

It is driven by human greed.......our Royal Commission concluded this, however finding acknowledgement is difficult to see

80% of Australia's largest 10 Insurance groups are underwritten by 2 of the Wolds largest Insurance Houses

These wonderful people see the growing retirement vintage population as a Cash Crop ready for the picking.......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #434 on: January 10, 2020, 01:10:19 pm »

Hi all. with reference to car insurance renewal, after a silly money quote I did a search and came up with a good figure.  So I rang my current insurers and there were several choices to make.  One of them was 'I am leaving you'! 

I spoke to a guy who came down a hundred, I said I have a better quote from LV on my laptop now, he asked for details and then came down a few quid on that.  So stayed with them.
Most of the companies we think of as insurers are actually brokers.  A few times I have had competing quotes but further checking shows the same insurers.  Ever heard of Covea?  Neither had I until a year or so back.
Regards
Roy

RST

« Reply #435 on: January 10, 2020, 11:57:46 pm »

pressed wrong button when PC froze for a minute, sorry.

RST

« Reply #436 on: January 10, 2020, 11:58:39 pm »

Might be a bit OT but any of you retired guys tried to change their electricity supply recently?  My Mum's 70 but I tried to change my suppier first as we are similar in terms of meters etc.  I always try me as a test first and we both always look to save.  What a nightmare this turned into for both of us!  We are so fed up of being told how easy it is to change by the government and these money expert advisors, yet finding if you have a certain type of supply it is pretty much impossible to change for any saving or to anyone else who supprts new customers on our (perfectly normal) meter!!!  By the way weare not so daft to go smart meter yet.  But that changes nothing at the moment.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2020, 01:35:33 am »

Fully agree
Our supplier was going to put our full price up 50% and off peak 100%.  >>:-(
Spoke to them on the phone: "take it or leave it"  "Goodbye"
Looking on the Victorian Govt. website was confusing to say the least but I finally managed to find an offer that whilst exorbitant compared with our previous tariffs was better than old supplier. Our first month of solar has reduced our consumption by 25%  %%

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2020, 03:49:32 am »

Hi RST I am with Green Network Energy contract is GNE Family Green 18 Month Fixed V24
I use 25000KW Gas and 4800KW elec per year, cost £95 per month DD
If you want a quote try ringing them, better than going on-line.
Regards
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2020, 08:49:34 am »

I am all electric with a 2 meter system dating back to the late 60's when houses were being built with under floor heating. The low tariff meter provided cheaper overnight/ mid afternoon and all weekend power to heating and hot water.
 It's neither economy 7 nor economy 10 but regardless I cannot change supplier without first agreeing to go on a single tariff where they will work out a rate that combines usage on both meters into one rate.

I presume that initially that rate may be made attractive but my fear is that once changing suppliers this may be eroded to the point that I end up paying a tariff equal to the full rate for the lot.
So I am reluctant to change, better the devil you know.
ANDY

malcf

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #440 on: January 15, 2020, 12:55:16 pm »

Well today i retire after 49 years of working and am looking forward to finishing some of my models i have started, sometimes after finishing work and i have had my tea it is very hard to make a start, it got that way that it was the same at the weekends as most of the time i worked saturday mornings and only got motivated on a sunday, i am hoping this will change for the better now.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:19 pm »

Congratulations and it really is true what they say. You'll wonder how you ever had time to go to work
ANDY

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2020, 03:05:44 pm »

My congratulations too - at 74 wonder when I will actually be able to retire , stopped working for a while then back to the grindstone (one needs to eat). In an inflationary world like the one we live in gets harder to survive each year.........Cant really complain as I'm still alive & kicking and able to work on my boats etc - great when you view the alternative.........Sadly as with most of us a lot of contemporaries are not..........

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #443 on: January 23, 2020, 12:18:05 pm »

Back to motor insurance for a moment -
My policy with HD is due for renewal next month. Their renewal quote online via my "account" with them is 27% higher than last year. I went onto 'a well-known comparison website' and HDs' quote on there for identical cover was fifty pounds less i.e. precious little more than last year's premium. On principle I won't be renewing there.  >>:-(
Looks like it's back to LV.

DaveM

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #444 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:49 pm »

That's what these insurance companies do now, send you a renewal quote far higher than last time.
My insurance company did just that, Admiral,

When I phoned them to point out the increase and discuss not renewing I was instantly offered a new lower price which was almost
the same as last time!
No problem at all, just needed the phone call to jog them.

They are in a marketing world of their own.

N

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #445 on: January 23, 2020, 04:55:00 pm »

I also have car insurance with Admiral, and each year they increased it, and each year I tell them I’m not renewing and low and be hold it’s drop to what I was ready paying or sometimes its lower. I’ve Asked why they don't give the revise price. I was told all renewals are computer generated and to always phone before renewing.  <*< <*< <*<
Regards David

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #446 on: January 23, 2020, 05:13:43 pm »

I blame that female type in the Admirals uniform , the company have to keep her in the fashion to which she has been accustomed.  I too have to administer a toecap in the appropriate locality annually. At least they do say on the renewal what the previous premium had been so that you can see how much they have hoiked it.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2020, 05:35:32 pm »

At least they do say on the renewal what the previous premium had been so that you can see how much they have hoiked it.

They only do that because they are obliged to.  I doubt they would if it was up to them.  "Hey, look how much more we're charging you this time!"  {-) {-)

Greg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #448 on: January 23, 2020, 05:52:36 pm »

I'm glad its made members more aware and maybe saved the coin for the boats  O0

I've said it before but I'll say it again. If you want to use the cinema more often we are going often twice a week on Tue Wed at 2 for 1 price. Saves us far more than the poultry seniors discount. Compare the Meerkat 
ANDY

RST

« Reply #449 on: January 23, 2020, 06:08:59 pm »

That insurance trick is decades old, just keeps getting worse and the government haven't cracked down yet!  Happens with every type of policy or subscription.  For insurance I've always found it removed instantly with a phone call.  I'm not advocating it's right in the first place though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.