Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183559 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Retirement
« Reply #450 on: January 23, 2020, 06:15:56 pm »

The last couple of years LV= have not significantly tried to inflate my premium (although they did used to try it on). Once you get old the premium does start going up anyway as on average oldies tend to get more knocks even if they are not individually too serious.

Plus a lot of older people have defective eyesight but continue to drive anyway as they cannot bear to give up their cars and I expect that gets factored in.

Colin

RST

« Reply #451 on: January 23, 2020, 06:46:04 pm »

LV withdrew my life insurance policy last year. Said they no longer offered it. Call to discuss. So I called LV and they couldn't help because product was discontinued.  Actually they had no clue why I was calling -I just had to keep saying to them it was LV who told me to call them, no further details offered by LV (you tell me, I can't tell you)!  After some more calls and checking, I phoned the alternative no for the new "advisor". Pretty much got back to the same person eventually, but because I'd called the new number they could help now.  The same people were transferred to the new call centre number. I honestly thought it was a scam, but turned out legit just from speaking to same people but a different number!  They went through whole rigmarole of new quotation which took ages and several calls and ended up ....back with almost same policy and couple of quid difference on price!  CRAZY!!

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: January 23, 2020, 07:11:40 pm »

I remember when I first joined with Admiral insurance they gave me a quote for car insurance, which was reasonable, I then asked to have my wife included as a driver, the quote became cheaper! Figure that one out!
However, I do find Admiral to be quite reasonable to deal with ( via the call centre)
N

RST

« Reply #453 on: January 23, 2020, 07:22:52 pm »

I was only something like +£1.60 to be fully declared on my mum's policy last year even though I'm not resident there! As she gets older I keep adding me onto things so I can help her out or speak for her when needed.

RST

« Reply #454 on: January 23, 2020, 07:24:43 pm »

...just a shame both of us are on a certain type electricity meter. We can't take advantage of switching we're told were supposed to do. We're pretty much stuck!  Tried it, wasted enough time and frustration trying with no success!!!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #455 on: January 23, 2020, 08:17:59 pm »

Hi DaveM, re insurance, get yourself a better quote then contact your current insurers and ask them to match it.  My Broker even has a 'I am leaving you' button.  Might also be worth looking at the details to see which actual insurance company your existing and possibly next is with.  Several times I have found competing brokers using the same insurance company. 
But I used LV as a threat and my renewal was then taken to below that one.

It is all an upmarket betting shop!

regards

Roy

RST

« Reply #456 on: January 23, 2020, 09:01:18 pm »

...the "leaving you" option press "X" is brilliant. You wait 20mins normally, but usually if you press the leaving option you get through instantly, even after diversions you get diverted to a proper person in half the time! I use the "leaving" option regularly.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #457 on: January 23, 2020, 10:58:12 pm »

Hi DaveM, re insurance, get yourself a better quote then contact your current insurers and ask them to match it. 
Roy
Thanks, Roy.

Tried that with the last company with which Liz was insured and got some twit wasting my time while he managed to shave about a tenner off the renewal quote she'd had from them. That was AFTER I'd told him that he'd have to get it down by about 25% to match a quote I'd already had elsewhere.
I just think they're quite prepared to lose business rather than insure you for a premium which is available to newbies.

They're apparently red-hot at maths.....

DaveM

RST

« Reply #458 on: January 23, 2020, 11:27:17 pm »

I just think they're quite prepared to lose business rather than insure you for a premium which is available to newbies.
...sorry but where's the "think" part of that?

ancient mariner

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #459 on: January 23, 2020, 11:31:34 pm »

Ahoy there,
                New to this but not to model making. Took first early retirement 20 years ago, then got job as a teaching assistant finally retired from voluntary job after 15 years just before Christmas. On instructions from the head of the household I'm winding down. May now find time to finish building the Hatchett Bismarck. Luckily I got all unopened editions as a job lot on e-bay some years ago. Have got to the stage of putting motors etc in which for me is somewhat daunting not having done such a thing before: I could well be seeking help. Spent most of my career at sea or in a marine environment.Am now a young 76. Age is but a number.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #460 on: January 24, 2020, 09:36:28 am »

Age is but a number.
[/size][/font]
Agreed , but when you go on a website and they have one of those drop down age boxes its worrying when you find you're almost off the bottom. {:-{
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #461 on: January 24, 2020, 11:42:20 am »

Further tales:

I had my auto-renewal notice today. It was £40 less than they had quoted on their own website but strangely £10 more than they'd quoted me via a comparison website. I made the foolish mistake of telephoning to see if I could get the offer down by that tenner. I'll spare you the thirty-four minutes it took me on the phone....(I neither exaggerate nor joke).

In the end we concluded that it wasn't worth arguing about the value of the car just to get the quote down by £7, at which point Emma re-ran the original renewal quote and found the premium to be now just £2 more than the one on Money Supermarket...

Like I said, they're red-hot at maths - but their payment-over-the-phone system sucks!

And age is an increasingly expensive curse, but the alternative doesn't bear considering.

DaveM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2020, 08:56:39 pm »

Watching the pennies I got 1:19 today for £ to €
Revolut card of course which gives the live interbank rate rather than high street creaming you off rates
I set an auto exchange so it happened automatically when the rate hit my target and told me it had done it  :-))
Paying sellers in Germany or USA in their own currency is much cheaper than credit card or Paypal
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #463 on: January 26, 2020, 06:39:06 pm »

I've been in the AA since 1991 but have rarely looked at the member benefits but my daughter just ordered me to have a look.
Many top eateries have 20% off and having recently dined at Brown's I can tell you 20% is not insignificant!!  :-))  That's just one example.
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #464 on: January 31, 2020, 10:56:00 am »

A consequence of retirement is often a big reduction in physical activity, especially if stood or sat all day making models  {-)
At the start of the year I had increased to near 12stone8  :((  after the Christmas period.
I don't do resolutions but I did need to return to mission control for a fat loss solution.

So I'm back on the low carb diet with fasting. Break the fast about 14:00hrs and main meal by 18:00 and nothing between 18:00 and 14:00 .... a 20hrs fast.
I've gone sub 12 stone today which is a nice slow burn but effective.
Today is a treat with a local pub special steak and ale pie with mash and veggies 8) 

This is what it looks like before
ANDY

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #465 on: January 31, 2020, 04:49:54 pm »

%) Good job it did not come with chips - you would have to be on diet for a month to get over that.........

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #466 on: January 31, 2020, 04:52:45 pm »

I’m completely stuffed now but just the one meal today, I’ll stay off the scales for a couple of days {-)
ANDY

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #467 on: January 31, 2020, 06:35:11 pm »

The last time I was below 12 stone I was in my teens!  {-)
Regards
Kit

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #468 on: January 31, 2020, 06:47:18 pm »

Is an admission of one's weight mandatory for this thread?  :embarrassed:
If so then I'm thirteen stone (and a complete liar......)
DM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #469 on: January 31, 2020, 07:10:38 pm »

{-)   
ANDY

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2020, 08:09:31 am »

Hi DM
WE can trim 2 stone off ewe very easily, but your voice wood bee a bit HIGHER !!!!

Canabus

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #471 on: February 01, 2020, 10:35:20 am »

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #472 on: February 01, 2020, 11:53:59 am »

''Eat to live don't live to Eat''

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #473 on: February 01, 2020, 01:40:10 pm »

''Eat to live don't live to Eat''
That's so depressing...  :((

DM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #474 on: February 01, 2020, 02:02:06 pm »

Breakfast 14:00. Yesterdays diversion from carb free cost a whole lb.

ANDY
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.