Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183667 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Retirement
« Reply #475 on: February 01, 2020, 03:40:06 pm »

That's so depressing...  :((

DM
Why I eat what I like drink what I like  have no weight problem just don't drool over Fad recipes  nor be told what I should or should not eat. The only  takeaway I would touch fish and chips.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #476 on: February 01, 2020, 04:20:23 pm »

Why I eat what I like drink what I like  have no weight problem just don't drool over Fad recipes  nor be told what I should or should not eat. The only  takeaway I would touch fish and chips.
Then you are a very fortunate man, but please don't go thinking that all large people are weak-willed gluttons or takeaway/fast-food addicts. It's just not that simple - if it were then I really would be 13 stone, without a word of a lie.
DM

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #477 on: February 01, 2020, 05:28:06 pm »

Then you are a very fortunate man, but please don't go thinking that all large people are weak-willed gluttons or takeaway/fast-food addicts. It's just not that simple - if it were then I really would be 13 stone, without a word of a lie.
DM

I'm not retired but I agree its not that simple.  I've always eaten the same sort of stuff but my lifestyle has changed.  When I was doing European truck driving my weight went up to 13.5 stone as it was just mainly long distance driving but I ate very good healthy food.  It was a lack of exercise that made me get heavier.  So 5 years later and only doing UK work but getting involved in car transporters which is very physical work I'm now 10st 10lbs.  What I eat has not changed but the graft I do has to a large extent.  Its taught me that getting fit and staying slim is all about graft.  Whether you work out, have a physical job, dig your garden its pretty much all the same.  being in my 50's I hope that all you old fella's don't mind me sharing my my own experiences  ok2

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #478 on: February 01, 2020, 05:31:59 pm »

Hard work has always been fuelled on carbohydrates. Athletes carbo load before and during long races. Navies lived on spuds and stews. Inactive people just get heavier and heavier on carbs as if unburnt they turn to fat store.

If I was 6ft my weight would be good  {-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #479 on: February 01, 2020, 07:32:02 pm »

If I was 6ft my weight would be good  {-)
It's about 7ft 9ins for me.......  :o
I think Mark has it about right. I don't eat badly and what I do eat is sensible, balanced and not processed. I aim to cook at least one fish meal (not fried) and one non-meat meal every week. Take-aways and burger-bars are anathema and a bag of frozen oven-chips will usually exceed its Best By date before we finish it. If I didn't spend most of my time sitting around making toy boats or playing around on the Internet then I might be as light as 19 stone.  %)
Someone said that if you gave up everything that made life bearable then you likely wouldn't live any longer..... but it would sure seem like it.
DM

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #480 on: February 01, 2020, 11:08:41 pm »

DM
I don't think that  for one moment as in all cases can be different strokes for different folks.For you to find my choice depressing is perhaps something else.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #481 on: February 01, 2020, 11:26:48 pm »

The fasting I mention of a duration of 20hrs per day not only aids weight loss but promotes more strongly the bodies self healing.
Before I did this regime the first time around I had sores on my elbows, these have long since gone and didn’t return with a period of “normal” eating habits but weight did. I’m happy to be back on low or no carbs. There is a surprising amount of good food that doesn’t involve chips pastries rice etc. I quite like a tin of boneless mackerel as a snack too, many sauces and flavours to choose from or plain oil omega 3

Bread is evil  {-)

Also as a species we existed for many thousands of years without carbs at all.

We are carnivores and foragers
ANDY

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #482 on: February 02, 2020, 08:38:37 am »

It wasn't any 'choice' - it's the glib, bumper-sticker philosophy inherent in this which I find depressing - "Eat to live, don't live to eat". Good food should be a pleasure, not simply a fuel.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #483 on: February 02, 2020, 09:07:18 am »

Bread is evil  {-)

Also as a species we existed for many thousands of years without carbs at all.

We are carnivores and foragers
But remember harvesting grass seeds brought civilization

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #484 on: February 02, 2020, 09:53:52 am »

Good food should be a pleasure, not simply a fuel''Would not argue with that other than it can l ean towards the ''Sea food diet'' you See food you have to eat it.As said different strokes[/size].

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #485 on: February 02, 2020, 09:54:30 am »

To feed armies who proceeded to be uncivilised to this day. I don't think we've changed much  %%  stayed slimmer from all the running for your life  {-)
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #486 on: February 07, 2020, 10:08:46 pm »

Cruising at sea. Has anyone experience of good ones without a mortgage ?
Currently looking at a cruise from Southampton to Norway etc 12 nights
on Queen Victoria
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #487 on: February 07, 2020, 10:36:12 pm »

The important things with cruises are on board ambiance and itinerary.

Cunard tend to be rather on the formal side so if you don't like dressing up a bit you may feel a bit awkward in the evenings. Some other cruise lines have more relaxed dress requirements and you can get away with smart casual as opposed to lounge suit or tux.

As a cruise destination Norway is a good choice as it offers the chance of visiting a country that is otherwise eye wateringly expensive. Fjord scenery is stunning and of course once you are over there the sea is usually calm in the fjords themselves.

I would thoroughly recommend spending some time on the Cruise Critic website to get a flavour of that the different lines and ships are like. (also ports of call).

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/

Queen Vic review here:
https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=376

Also bear in mind that the price of the cruise is only one component of the holiday. You will need to allow for gratuities for the crew, cost of drinks on board and the cost of excursions in some ports. Norway excursions can seem expensive but you get quite a bit for your money and if Bergen is on the list you can simply do your own thing and wander around but do take an umbrella. (Bergen has an excellent maritime museum too).

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #488 on: February 07, 2020, 10:39:08 pm »

Thank you  :-))
Norway is late in the year for the northern lights and currently a balcony cabin is circa £1600 to 2k per head which seems good value just now
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #489 on: February 07, 2020, 10:57:36 pm »

Bear in mind that there is a good chance you won't  actually see much of the  Northern Lights so don't make that the main reason for going.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #490 on: February 07, 2020, 11:20:04 pm »

I’ve been there on parallel lines for my 60th  {-)
One night was at dark skies observatory at Kielder
Could not see 2yds for freezing fog
Stars ?? Nil

Thanks for the very very useful emails regarding this ANON  :-))
ANDY

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #491 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:16 pm »

Hi all, I had a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth 3 years ago.  As Colin says there are gratuities.  However they are quite steep and you can ask for your on-board bill to have them removed.  We then distributed grats to the crew members that we felt had given good service. If you do this then take some envelopes with you.

Some of the trips are a bit dear as well.  But if you go on a coach trip we found that if you get yourself a sticker to show you were booked on that particular trip and then just go down the gangway and we found the coach ourselves, get to sit where you like then, also they reserve the front seats for disabled, however if there are no disabled they are up for grabs.

I have to confess I did have the dinner jacket / Tuxedo and bow tie etc and it was nice to dine with most of the passengers so attired and I did always go to the dance floor afterwards.  You do not get many chances to dance to a live orchestra, also there are not many ships still doing it now.  My partner and I were the first to use the dance floor on the Queen Victoria that was before the naming ceremony, my partner had a Press Card so we had a day on the boat, evidence is in Ships Monthly see photo!

The food in the Britannia dining room was very good and there were a lot of choices on the menu. You could have as many items as you wanted!  With a balcony cabin it was nice to sit outside and we always had our breakfast delivered to the cabin, at no extra cost.

We travelled Southampton to Southampton, ignore the arrival time they suggest, turn up early and get seen straight away and get on the boat.  You can have a buffet meal there while others are still queuing to get on, you will be notified when the cabin is available and your cases will be waiting for you there. 

A tip on cases is if you have two cases then have one smaller than the other so that you can store one case inside the other and shove them under your bed.  If travelling Cunard then if you buy 100 Carnival shares you will get extra on-board spending money, I wish I had done so at the time as they have since doubled in value!
If you like to read, the library is good but get there straight away as the popular books go first.  Each cabin has a good size TV and there are usually some good speakers that you can see live in the theatre or watch the talk being televised.  Keep your eyes open for other passengers, I saw a few celebrities (retired) on the cruise I was on.
Best regards for you trip,
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #492 on: February 08, 2020, 12:02:56 am »

Thank you Roy  :-))
Worth keeping an eye on Carnival shares as they are suffering due to Corona virus. They fell 96p today alone
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #493 on: February 08, 2020, 10:47:50 am »

Hi all, I had a cruise on the Queen Elizabeth 3 years ago.  As Colin says there are gratuities.  However they are quite steep and you can ask for your on-board bill to have them removed.  We then distributed grats to the crew members that we felt had given good service. If you do this then take some envelopes with you.

Whilst people do adopt this practice it is unfair to the crew members behind the scenes. Wages in the cruise industry follow the American business model for service industries whereby the gratuities or tips are seen as a fundamental part of staff remuneration. By tipping just some of the people you come into contact with such as your cabin steward or table waiter you are concentrating the money (which is likely to be rather less than the auto gratuities) in the hands of just a few people and those who you don't see are losing out.

The whole subject is a can of worms and the auto gratuities are an attempt to square the circle between the American mindset which likes to hold back a substantial chunk of income to incentivise good service and the European attitude which expects staff to be paid a decent wage and to do the job they are paid for with tipping being a bit of an extra bonus. Auto gratuities also help keep down nominal fare rates just as low cost airlines turn out to be anything but if you want to travel at a cilvilised time and take some luggage with you.

I don't like the American system of tipping individuals high amounts but on cruise ships most of the non officer staff tend to be from third world countries and get paid peanuts so we bite the bullet and accept the auto gratuities as the least worse option and to be fair to the staff. You can still give your cabin steward a bit on top if you want if they have been particularly helpful.

Anyone interested in exploring the subject further can look at this:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=132

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #494 on: February 08, 2020, 01:40:12 pm »

Back to Retirement I have been Retirerd over ten years now  but have less time  now for modelling then II when I worked.
          Regards Howard.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2020, 05:49:59 pm »

Yes Howard I learned very quickly that your time isn't your own.
I just spent all day fitting out the built in wardrobe for the wife's craftroom.
Lots of Brownie points awarded  {-)

B&Q cutting service is the only thing that takes me there. 6 shelves from one 18mm sheet of ply for £30

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2020, 07:15:30 pm »

It begs the question where was all this crap previously  {-)

Took her 30 mins to fill it

ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #497 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:48 pm »

My Wife has a cupboard like that and more. We should give thanks when our other halves have their own craft hobbies as they the understand and are more tolerant of ours - especially if we keep them out of the house.

Mrs B does lovely needlework pictures which adorn our walls together with my marine related stuff.

Colin

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #498 on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:43 pm »

Dont forget Brownie points have a use by date
Wish you guys wouldnt keep mentioning that dirty four lettered word  :-)
Dont know were the time goes now Im retired but the best bit is I do  not care :}

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #499 on: February 12, 2020, 02:35:46 pm »

Wish you guys wouldnt keep mentioning that dirty four lettered word  :-)
 :}

As a retired Consultant Sanitary Engineer I've often heard it called a lot worse.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.