Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183630 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Retirement
« Reply #550 on: May 06, 2020, 10:14:29 am »

I have just opened a packet of dry cured bacon "use by 27th April" it smelled ok so I've et it.

8 days beyond UK guidelines  %%   

Hopefully will report back
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #551 on: May 06, 2020, 12:35:13 pm »

Did you check the year?

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #552 on: May 06, 2020, 12:40:36 pm »

Hi I was watching a food TV programme testing food for nutrients etc.  At the end the TV girl produced a tin of sardines 45 years old.  They were fine when opened and the test equipment found them good to eat.
I once out of sheer cussedness made a chocolate cake from a packet mix 8 years passed its' sell by date.  Everyone enjoyed it.  I never said a word.
I believe flour could be suspect but have never come across a problem yet.  Most yoghurt type products are fine for at least a month unless there is a minute hole in the plastic, then they go obviously off.  Avoid anything that tastes fizzy though!
I did have a bit of a problem with some corned beef 3 years over, looked and tasted OK but I was a bit queazy a few hours later.
At the start of the lockdown a the chief medical officer commented on the washing of hands and said he would know if it was being done as there would be a reduction in food poisoning cases.
regards
Roy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #553 on: May 06, 2020, 12:46:12 pm »

I can safely say that most foods that are in sealed containers can be eaten for 3 months past it’s best before date.
The Falklands taught me that in the Mount Pleasant Airfield shops. They didn’t even knock the price down like they would in the UK and only considered food to be un-eatable if it definitely smelled dodgy or had visible mould growing on it!
Can’t believe that was 8 year ago!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #554 on: May 06, 2020, 12:53:07 pm »

Well, back in Nelson's day they used to knock the weevils out of the biscuits and the salt pork could be horrendous and years out of date. They didn't drink the water though as that was a health hazard which is why they drank 'small beer' instead. (plus their 'tots)'.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #555 on: May 06, 2020, 01:25:07 pm »

Did you check the year?

Colin

I have to or the wife will be the death of me
Yesterday I found a bottle of Aldi salad cream April 2019
Her reply was she doesn’t use salad cream

But she puts it on MY food.  {:-{

Bear in mind Nick that the bacon was use by not a best before
ANDY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #556 on: May 06, 2020, 01:43:10 pm »

Hull Roy....next time you are in OZ, get a few tins of SOLE MARE wild brisling Wood Smoked Sardines from COLES .........pretty Yummie!

They are a product of Latvia which is OK with me, however the use by or best by date has me a little  %) :-X

Tin one say L30.11.21 which I suspect is toward the end on November next year
Tin two says 19.22.L036 which according to numerical referencing has me confused  :o

Either way, they are quite tasty on toast with a little pepper & salt & onion flakes ........better quality sizing and taste to anything by John West with a cleaner body with all of the guts removed

BTY, the sardines you see in the packet are not an image, but a clear polyethylene top to the tin...so the sardines you see are the ones you get :-)) 

Do you get this brand/offering in the UK?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #557 on: May 06, 2020, 02:06:55 pm »

My Latvian friend Janis says it’s likely just the batch number
Is there a date on any of the sides ?

If not he says the sole mare website can give a date from the batch number
ANDY

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #558 on: May 06, 2020, 03:36:14 pm »

Just don't eat yellow snow!!  :police:
Don't Assume Check

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #559 on: May 06, 2020, 05:10:35 pm »

Hi Derek, we have those sardines here (Sainsburys), tried them and I agree very nice.  I had some very cheap sardines from Coles about £1.80 they were lovely.  They were a product of the Bismark Sea, which had me going, expecting it be up near around the Baltic near Germany.  However it turns out to be your end of the world just north of the Coral Sea.
My son tells me that you never import fruit just have what is in season is that right?  We have much the same fruit all year round grapes from India or Chile, other fruit from Israel and just about all over.  Some people knock what is happening but a couple of years ago they followed up on French beans from Kenya coming into the UK.  The production of these keeps a whole village in business with 3 seasons a year, in the UK we only have the straight ones, would you believe?

Problem is they come in under the seats of the passenger aircraft as freight and there are not many aircraft in the sky at the moment.  A German friend of mine is the Cargo Manager for a big airline at Munich airport and he used to be rushed off his feet.  Not heard how he is fixed at the moment, I expect there are more airfreight planes flying than before, so maybe he is OK.
I am wondering, come 9 months time, whether I will be able to afford to fly out to Oz if they have spaced out seating etc.  I also hope they are updating the slightly ageing A380's as well.
regards
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #560 on: May 06, 2020, 07:59:34 pm »

I'm now having a doesn't last forever Lagavulin 16 yr old. I guess I get 2 yrs out of a bottle.

As with all whiskies if you drink the same one time after time it becomes soft to the pallet.
This is one of my favourites so I avoid drinking it too often as the impact on the flavour buds is much better for it.
Wonderful  :}
ANDY

RST

« Reply #561 on: May 08, 2020, 06:56:05 am »

I used to have what I thought was a cast iron cosistency -until I worked in the water industry fot a couple of years.  I went through a spell following Hugh Fwernley Wittingstall -"sniff test" etc.  Never been so ill -and consistently ill in my life since.  Use by dates are there for a reason on most fresh or half-fresh things, observe them and chuck-out!!!!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #562 on: May 08, 2020, 07:51:59 am »

Hi all, I believe I read somewhere that the Best before date was for the product to be within its ideal taste condition.  After that it was not necessarily unusable just deteriorating from its ideal taste. 

I agree one has to be sensible, but these dates have increased the waste and for instance Supermarkets could no longer pass on expiring food products for free to local charities.  Not sure whether that has changed but at the moment with food banks being a lifeline for some families you have to be sensible about these almost arbitrary rulings.
For instance take sugar products like treacle and honey, they last for years and yet they are still supposed to have sell by dates.  As I mentioned previously a 45 year old tin of sardines was perfectly fine to eat.  A container of yoghurt does not change overninght in the fridge as the sell by date is exceeded!

There are some things you should not do like re-heating cooked rice the following day as other things are at work.  Bear in mind that the Chief Medical Officer said that the simple act of washing one's hands should remove quite a lot of food poisoning events.

Looks like common sense and a sniff if concerned is a good guide.
Best regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #563 on: May 08, 2020, 08:04:21 am »

I think you might be confusing Use By date with Best Before date Roy.

Use By means what it says although there may be a day or so wriggle room if kept in the fridge.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: May 08, 2020, 08:07:03 am »

Thanks Colin a genuine OOPs, I have modified my post.
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #565 on: May 08, 2020, 08:57:53 am »

Well despite eating the 8 days out of date "USE BY" dry cured bacon or 4 slices of the 8 in the sealed packet I am still alive with no ill effect several days later  O0

I did of course just use sight and smell to evaluate the risk.  THE BEST route is better food management of course but due to lockdown its easy to buy a little more only for it to get hidden in the fridge until too late.

Now if only I had a Labrador  {-)  he'd probably eat it still in the wrapper
ANDY

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #566 on: May 08, 2020, 08:59:36 am »

Hi Taranis is that leading onto the Lab check and Cat scan joke?
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #567 on: May 08, 2020, 09:02:57 am »

No but I like it  {-)

There's never been a better time for us to have a dog but despite my wifes desire to have one I know it is life changing and I prefer to keep our total freedom to go when and where we like with no other considerations. 

Too many dogs are left in the house all day and I would never want to do that and we do normally travel in the van and its just extra problems

ANDY

RST

« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2020, 02:04:41 am »

There are some things you should not do like re-heating cooked rice the following day as other things are at work

...Things like that I never have a problem with.  I re-heat once cooked rice all the time with absolutely no problem whatsoever.  The official advice is it's no different from anything else as long as it's heated up properly.  Somewhere somewhere there is an urban myth about rice that keeps on being repeated like mail scams at xmas.  Everyone keeps believing it and passing the message on.  Rice is fine as long as its re-heated properly (and once only -obviously).  They tell us this on telly food programmes also to try and dispel urban food myths.

Rich

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #569 on: May 12, 2020, 08:33:36 am »

Hi Rich I note you say you re heat rice once only.  I have in the past done what you do and the Bacillus cereus never got to me either. 

In a slightly different context a few years ago I had a freshly made chocolate mousse which had salmonella contamination.  The resulting illness was pretty awful.  In the middle, well almost a lull, I had a commuter flight and then a long flight which found me at Heathrow in a daze and weak as a kitten trying to get my case off the carousel.  The illness lasted a week, I would not recommend it to anyone.

I just pass on my own experience,
all the best
Roy

RST

« Reply #570 on: May 12, 2020, 08:45:36 am »

Feeling frozen cold, uncontrollable sweating buckets so bad had to change towels every hour, stomach cramps.  Sitting on toilet for an hour at a time.  Been there got the T shirt. No heroics for eating anything past a sell by date in my house! Don't care what folk say, it's happened often enough trying the faddy trend of  eating past sell by dates!  You know when it's something you ate Vs feeling sick after! Sell by/use by dates are there on most things for a reason!!!!!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #571 on: May 15, 2020, 07:59:46 am »

mmmmmm..we all appear to agree the Wild Brisling Sole Mare Wood Smoked Sardines from Latvia are yummy  :-)) ....so obviously multi-cultural sourced food must be acceptable or at least OK  O0

Today I needed a new can of Brasso......yes, you know that tried and true product bearing the endorsement ....

"By Appointment to ..HM The Queen" together with the Royal Crest etc O0

So reading the small print, I find the product is manufactured in Portugal  {-)

Hope it works as well  %) as the 15 year old now empty can ......

Derek

[PS...the only item from Portugal I can place in my life is that famous pink coloured Rose wine in the green oval shaped bottle]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #572 on: May 15, 2020, 11:57:02 am »

Don't forget that Brasso is flamable! At school we had a strong Memo round that it should be kept in the "Flams" cupboard. I wonder if I could clean my boiler and steam it at the same time?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #573 on: May 15, 2020, 12:37:56 pm »

[PS...the only item from Portugal I can place in my life is that famous pink coloured Rose wine in the green oval shaped bottle]

What Derek, You don't drink Port? What are you missing?  8)
Don't Assume Check

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #574 on: May 20, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »

A word of warning to my fellow oldies
My meds were upgraded for BP control some time ago with a supplement of Idapamide to the Lisinopril I was on.
Lady Doctor felt I needed to be nudged a bit lower for my own good  {-)

Some months later without careful monitoring nearly ended in an ambulance.
I went for a walk in the Sun yesterday with my wife and after barely a mile I experienced impaired vision and nausea. This happened a number of time on our 3 mile round trip and each time I sat and recovered.

I figured by this time that I had a blood pressure problem so took some readings and I was down to 78/56  %%

Immediately stopped taking tablets ! doctor agreed.
110/75 this morning

Be alert! my wife couldn't even find my pulse yesterday  :embarrassed:
ANDY
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.