Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183608 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Retirement
« Reply #600 on: June 17, 2020, 11:18:40 am »

Hi
It’s actually Wilsthorpe regatta field which is about 20 min walk to Brid  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #601 on: September 04, 2020, 05:39:07 pm »

Is it just me?
I'm on planned holiday touring Scotland and I hate it  %%  NO not Scotland ! but holiday  {-)

Rather be modelling but it would cost a marriage.  <*<

Edinburgh whisky mile might cheer me up tomoz
ANDY

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #602 on: September 04, 2020, 07:24:38 pm »

Have a dram in every pub in Rose street, runs parallel to Princess street, north side. lucky devil. nemesis

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2020, 07:26:34 pm »

Yes probably will  :-))
ANDY

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2020, 07:29:53 pm »

good luck, I do not think any body has made it to the end as yet, but go on and give it a try, nemesis

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #605 on: September 04, 2020, 07:34:48 pm »

I may not survive the Free whisky tasters on the hill %% 
I have a favourite shop  O0  

Royal mile Whiskies  :-))
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #606 on: September 04, 2020, 09:16:53 pm »

Anyway I’ll have to grin and bear it. Four days here aside of the Firth of Forth before heading for Forfar fafarfar prior to Stonehaven  %% 
ANDY

Aerodecked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #607 on: September 04, 2020, 10:10:24 pm »

Give me a wave on your way past Dundee as you head off to bridie country  :D

RST

« Reply #608 on: September 05, 2020, 03:01:11 am »

.....Just so you know this week I'm verry annoyed I can again not travel within one place in Scotland to another simply to do my job, because of co-vid but apparently, it's OK for anyone to come up for a holiday and move around and mix about, go to the pub, but not to actually work in a far more controlled environment.

Sorry to say this but I'm very upset having had work cancelled again in my own country -yet hearing folk are still freely travellng as "tourists" and happily coming from everywhere.

Please be respectful of the situation up here, please DO NOT mix with anyone, MINIMISE going to any shops or restaurunts / pubs, take your rubbish home, It's NOT the same as England rules -we are still supposed to minimise going out and we still have 2m rule which seems impossible for ages these days. 

Go to Rose Street, pick a good pub and have one nip and go away.  Don't go in any more and mix contact please until all this is over!  I don't even go in to more than one shop per day -maybe 2 or 3 per week at the most still!!!!

We are all suposed to have a responsibility and play our part in controlling this.  It seems hopeless at the moment!  What can you do?  Why on earth anyone would travel for a holiday in the middle of a pandemic is just beyond my comprehension -but please don't make it any worse for the rest of us trying to go about any resemblance of a reasonable life please, and respectfully, please don't advertise the fact you're travelling for leisure when allot of us can't even do it to keep our work going!!!!

...sorry for harsh post, but I just don't get it.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #609 on: September 05, 2020, 03:17:44 am »

Well said RST. We’re trapped in Canberra which is comparatively safe but borders closed. No idea when we can return to our narrowboat in uk. Qantas don’t see flights resuming until July earliest.
Bloody cold winter here but now starting to warm up.
Jerry.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #610 on: September 05, 2020, 04:33:45 am »

Hi Jerry C I was checking on Qantas flights a fortnight ago for March 2021 and they were all in place if about 10% dearer than before.  I use the QF 1 &2 services to Sydney from Heathrow but there were all the usual options and I checked other airlines as well.

However my son tells me that only one a/c is allowed in per day into Sydney and then the passengers are whipped off en masse to a hotel to quarantine for 2 weeks.  And that includes residents.  Apparently each person or group are allocated rooms and food is delivered etc.  A bit like being in prison (I imagine)!  The current outbreak in Oz was due to a 'security guard' having 'relations' with a quaranteed passenger!  So I do sympathsize with RST it really is an individual responsibility.

The Qantas 380's are all supposed to be being refurbished and I believe 2 of the 12 have been done, I don't know if the rest of them are just sitting there or are being refurbished.  As I have never had a successful email contact to Qantas I would be interested to know. 
My last 380 trip landing at Heathrow in mid February this year was in a rather delapidated aircraft.  We were delayed 2 hours as an air con unit had to be changed.  My seat was OK but the one in front was broken, I was in G58. 
What annoys me most are the passeners who do not know how to operate the touch sensitive entertainment screens. 

At the start of this flight my seat was getting regular jerks so I went back to talk to the lady and showed her how to work them, it was all very amicable.  And I had a comfortable flight.  I can also say I had done this before and instructed a very big bloke who could have made mincemeat out of me and left us both happy.  I am also a Bridge (playing cards) Tournament Director and Bridge players are far worse!  Nice words go a long way.

Looks like my Oz holiday break is going to wait a further 12 months!
Roy

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #611 on: September 05, 2020, 05:23:11 am »

Hi Roy, Qantas announced July a couple of days ago. We have a voucher for our return. Originally with a 2 day stopover in Singapore. We want a nonstop flight to avoid risk, possibly from Perth. Once back in UK we live in a narrowboat so isolating is relatively simple, it’s the airports we’re wary of. We hire a car from Heathrow to the boat near Chester. We’re on an indefinite visa extension but they might get awkward about that. We’re both in the at risk category. I’m getting on well with my steam launch build but am stopped awaiting stuff to be delivered and post is unreliable atm.
Jerry.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #612 on: September 05, 2020, 05:37:46 am »

Hi jerry thanks for the Qantas info.  You do not get to have many model boats on a narrow boat!  I am approaching 50 model boats and yachts now, so very much land based.  Chester is a very nice area to be in, not sure how they are affected by the lockdown situation which seems to be almost random in application.

I have had about half a dozen holidays on narrow boats alway enjoyable and my son comes to the UK for an extended stay and several times has had holidays on the canals and they are seriouslly considering having a narrow boat built to their requirements in a year or so.  Probably base it locally on the Grand Union.
Regards
Roy

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #613 on: September 05, 2020, 06:24:16 am »

Hi Roy, as soon as we get on board we will depart marina for six months cruising down to London then west to Bristol and back. All at <3mph. Stopping where we want for up to 2 weeks. Steam Launch Wear lives on board under the dinette and she goes for a mini cruise whenever suits. The one I’m building here in Oz will stay here. I managed to get the grp hull out as hold  baggage. And steam plant in my bag. That’s our retirement.
Jerry.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2020, 07:04:20 am »

No offence taken Rich
The caravan club has very effective measures in place for distancing and anywhere we go we are careful to avoid a crowd. So far we find most people are behaving the same way but still just like south of the border there are just as many determined to ignore the basics.
I won’t be pub crawling and won’t even get on a bus if there isn’t room to spread out.
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #615 on: September 05, 2020, 02:10:07 pm »

That was an easy trip only one person flouting the masks on buses £4.50 day ticket allows travel all day  :-))  Going back out now to Leith
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #616 on: September 06, 2020, 02:30:00 pm »

Sunday is commonly a changeover day on caravan sites.
Workers leaving and oldies coming in to enjoy the mid week
Met office said 15 degrees but I know 25 when I feel it.
Cracking day here north of Edinburgh
 :-))
 No idea why the photo has turned
Will go back to my normal hosting.
EDIT
On the table is a device we bought in France I think it’s commonly know as Le Tw@tteur

ANDY

marco

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Is Great !
« Reply #617 on: September 06, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »

Hello andy ,

The blue device who is on the table is commonly named " tapette à mouches "

marco
if you don't know ask , if you know share

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #618 on: September 06, 2020, 03:28:38 pm »

Merci beaucoup Marco  {-)
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #619 on: September 06, 2020, 03:32:44 pm »

We refer to our little pests like flies and wasps as little tw@ts hence my joke le tw@tteur  %%
ANDY

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #620 on: September 06, 2020, 10:58:02 pm »

You want to be careful of those French fly swats.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54051423
A man has blown up part of his house in France while trying to swat a fly. The man, who is in his 80s, was about to tuck into his dinner when he became irritated by a fly buzzing around him.He picked up an electric racket designed to kill bugs and start swatting at it - but a gas canister was leaking in his Dordogne home.A reaction between the racket and the gas caused an explosion, destroying the kitchen and partly damaging the roof of the home in Parcoul-Chenaud village.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2020, 11:02:10 pm »

tapette à mouches explosive  %%

Merde  :embarrassed:

For tomorrow I found another whisky shop around the corner from Royal Mile Whiskies that is having a sale
 8)
ANDY

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #622 on: September 08, 2020, 01:59:47 am »

***Topic tidied up***
The topic was tidied up because it was headed down the slippery slope.
Arguments about the rights and wrongs of political groups, or the veracity of statistics lead to bad feelings and are subject to deletion.
There are lots of websites and forum groups to discuss these topics if you wish to. As Martin asked at the beginning of the year, please keep it off Modelboat Mayhem.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RST

« Reply #623 on: September 08, 2020, 02:12:43 am »

Well I did another 380 mile round trip yesterday and back to see my mum who got diagnosed with quite advanced cancer at end of lockdown.  Glad to see less tourists on the A9 but I must say I hate every campervan, caravan and laden car I see at the moment and my drive home was 4h instead of 3and a bit today (tourist numpties at 45 in a 60 then they do 65 in an overtaking lane so couldn't get past again before they go back to 45 at the end -it's all a 60 zone FFS!!!!).  That's more areas of Glasgow looking at at enhanced measures also now.  Granted "yoofs" are causing lots of it but flipping hec -the general pubic seem to have just given up months ago it's no wonder.  WHY ON EARTH is anyone travelling unless they need to for work or family at the moment, it's entirely selfish.  There will be next year, or the next if you want to see it.

The number of adult folk I've seen taking toilet stops at the side of the road up through the cairngorms the last couple of weeks is disgusting.

....also, please don't chuck things like banana skins, apple cores out etc!.  There have been studies shown a banana skin takes up to 2-3 years to decompose, the environmentalists say and I agree with them it's absolutely no excuse to chuck them over the hedge!!!!!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #624 on: September 08, 2020, 03:43:47 am »

Regarding Qantas’s A380s, back in June Qantas announced that all 12 of its A380s were to be flown to the USA for storage in the Mojave Desert, with no plans to return them to service until mid 2023. Once overseas air travel resumes, it seems that the frontline aircraft for international flights will be their growing fleet of Boeing 787-9s.

Currently there is a limit of 350 passengers per day arriving in Sydney from overseas, all of whom must immediately enter quarantine for 14 days, as previously mentioned.

Peter.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.