Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183656 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Retirement
« Reply #725 on: November 08, 2020, 12:57:35 pm »

Thanks Andy - on its way!

Greg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #726 on: November 08, 2020, 01:37:11 pm »

10 yr Glenmorangie also at £25 today
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #727 on: November 08, 2020, 01:50:33 pm »

Thanks - but it's not one of my favourites.  (Not a bargain deal, but have you tried Kilchoman? It's a relatively new distillery (started in 2005) and I enjoy the Machir Bay.  If you join their club you get an instant discount on the list prices.  Their 100% Islay is delicious but a tad pricy for me - special occasions only!)

Greg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #728 on: November 08, 2020, 04:45:26 pm »

Thanks but yes a bit pricey without tasting. I'd only get away with that on holiday.
Seems to be a lot of fairly new distilleries and they're all over priced, English ones especially trying to coin it in on first batches etc  :-))
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #729 on: November 22, 2020, 08:13:18 pm »

Wifey just noticed my driving licence will expire in a couple of months  :embarrassed:

I remember like yesterday getting my first licence with an expiry year of 2028 and thinking how far away that is  %%

Well really it's no time at all is it  :((   So my renewal will run out in 7yrs then I have to renew with a medical every three years to keep my C1 entitlement.

As an aside it will use my passport photo that will be ten years old next May also needing renewal. So my driving licence picture will be 17 yrs out of date by 2028
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #730 on: November 22, 2020, 08:23:57 pm »

Um.... 2028 is not in a couple of months. What exactly are you saying?

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #731 on: November 22, 2020, 08:29:40 pm »

Current licence as with all photo ID licences only last 10 yrs and runs out in 2 months time.

Driving entitlement and licensing changes on your 70th i.e. 2028 so my renewal 10 yrs licence will only last until 2028

item 4b on licence front says when expiry is
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #732 on: November 22, 2020, 08:41:09 pm »

Photo ID licence renewal is a doddle.

If you get to 70 with certain medical conditions then it's a whole new ball game. Don't ask me how I know.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #733 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:24 pm »

Yes I did it today  :-))
ANDY

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #734 on: November 22, 2020, 09:49:33 pm »

Photo ID licence renewal is a doddle.

If you get to 70 with certain medical conditions then it's a whole new ball game. Don't ask me how I know.

Colin
Trouble is that you have to renew it every 3 years and assure them that you do not have a disqualifying medical condition. I know that around here there are some who are as blind as a bat but still driving . I suspect that they will tighten up on the conditions and self certification in the near future . As an aside , yesterday driving along the Guildford road I passed a side turning and waiting to pull out was an elderly lady at the wheel of her car and sitting on her lap was a cav king charles spaniel. I assumed the reason being the dogs eyesight was better than the drivers   

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #735 on: November 22, 2020, 10:10:33 pm »

I do have a medical condition. Driving is OK at the moment but, as you say, I will need to pass the test again early next year at 73!

How the hell have I got that old?   >:-o

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #736 on: November 22, 2020, 10:39:47 pm »

In NSW, you can renew your licence for 1, 5, or 10 years, however the 10 year option is only available to people aged between 21 and 44 at the time your licence expires. Once the age of 75 is reached, you have to have a medical examination each year prior to your birthday. I'm 83 and recently renewed my licence for 5 years, the only test at the motor registry was for eyesight, the medical will happen in mid January, a couple of weeks before my birthday. Once I'm 85 I will need to undertake a driving test each year which, at the moment, shouldn't be too difficult.

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #737 on: November 22, 2020, 11:56:43 pm »

In Victoria it is a self assessment list and there is no medical.   At 79 I am seriously considering getting rid of the car.   I get 1/2 price taxi fares so savings on Rego. insurance, roadside assistance etc. will make up the rest.   Plus availability of our family, if I give them enough notice, should see my wife and I out for the future.  O0

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #738 on: November 23, 2020, 09:12:52 am »

I do have a medical condition. Driving is OK at the moment but, as you say, I will need to pass the test again early next year at 73!

How the hell have I got that old?   >:-o

Colin

I feel the same, but I was chirpy as a cricket until the Chinese Lurgy came along.   PS You younger fellows will not remember diving for the air raid shelter when the doodlebug engine cut !
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #739 on: November 24, 2020, 03:38:26 am »

At 79 I am seriously considering getting rid of the car.   I get 1/2 price taxi fares so savings on Rego. insurance, roadside assistance etc. will make up the rest.   Plus availability of our family, if I give them enough notice, should see my wife and I out for the future.  O0

While we only live 8 km from the centre of Lismore, there is no public transport to our area, which is rural, so the car is a necessity. Inevitably the time will come when I can no longer drive but, until then, I will continue to do so, subject to regulatory approval, of course.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #740 on: November 24, 2020, 03:44:00 am »

You younger fellows will not remember diving for the air raid shelter when the doodlebug engine cut !

I am old enough to remember had I experienced it but, fortunately, the doodlebug range did not extend to Australia  :-)  Neither, for that matter, did the V2, for which I am eternally grateful.

Peter.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #741 on: November 24, 2020, 09:36:22 am »

PS You younger fellows will not remember diving for the air raid shelter when the doodlebug engine cut !

I don't remember it, but I was around at the time, aged 2.

My younger brother just missed being nailed by a V1 as one fell on the nursing home where he was born one DAY after he and Mum left!  :o
Regards
Kit

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #742 on: November 24, 2020, 10:46:33 am »

Hi I used to live in NW London and remember on my 6th birthday playing outside as was our wont and heard and saw one go overhead.  It was late July 1944 and I can still see it and the noise of the rumbling distant roar of the engine.  It carried on, I never heard one just stop and dive down.  The nearest one exploding in the paddling pool over at Parliament Hill Fields.  So I had it in for Hitler as it closed down our swings and roundabout!

We had a shelter built in our small cul de sac terrace on the road but I only remember going in it 3 or 4 times and it was quite a while after the war was over, that it was removed.  It was a very strong structure but doubt it would have survived a direct hit from a bomb.  Most of the time before the V1's we only heard bombing in the distance probably at the docks.
Regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #743 on: November 24, 2020, 11:25:18 am »

I wasn't around during WW2 but a V1 took out the row of houses where my grandparents lived in Wimbledon. Grandma was away but Grandad managed to get under a steel table shelter, possibly a Morrison, and was dug out unharmed.

Colin

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #744 on: November 24, 2020, 05:10:48 pm »

Well here in Denmark they (those dumbos that call themself the government)  have just filed a new bill relating to pension age, so people that has been born in 1966 onwards now need to work until they are 69  >>:-(
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #745 on: November 24, 2020, 09:54:25 pm »

Well here in Denmark they (those dumbos that call themself the government)  have just filed a new bill relating to pension age, so people that has been born in 1966 onwards now need to work until they are 69  >>:-(
That's if they can get work.  >>:-(

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #746 on: November 25, 2020, 08:40:36 am »

Hi all, on the basis that work is available, I had a 'discussion' with my son in law who protested that he would have to work until he was 70 before receiving a pension.  My response was that as his generation was likely to live longer, then at 70 he may not want to stop working.  Especially when he may have 15 or 20 year left of active life.

A school friend, we contact each other on a very occasional basis still works at post 80 years old.  His children are all earning adults and his wife passed on a few years ago.  He is the senior Techie in a school in MK and he thoroughly enjoys the work and it keeps him active etc.  Having worked in a school for a couple of years myself I know what he means, young people keep you young.

Given the oportunity I would have been pleased to work longer as I had an interesting job which was not repetitive and kept the brain active solving problems and difficult issues.  I do not think I was 'hogging' a job and stopping another's progress as during the last few years there were several times where I had what could loosely be called an apprentice with me to whom I passed on my experience and we would tackle new problems together with a good measure of success.

I rather suspect that most members on this forum have a bit more self motivation than the average man in the street and this has probably led to work that requires an active brain.  One of the things I did learn was never to ask questions that would get a negative answer.

I was once criticised by my boss that when I went on holiday everything ran smoothly, i.e. without me being there, also he did not have to do anything either!  I have to say I took this as a complement, as to do this you have to empower your guys to make the right decisions for themselves and I am sure it makes them feel more involved with the job they are doing.  I was a carrot man he believed in sticks, an interesting combination but he gradually came around to my way and had a quieter life at work as well.

Some of the accepted work practices we see now can only be described as soul destroying, Zero hour contracts, for example.  They can only build up in people as social injustices where they see those in control doing 'very well thank you'.

We shall all reap as we sow.

Regards
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #747 on: November 26, 2020, 10:57:18 am »

Yes I did it today  :-))
Can you adam n eve it? New licence just arrived. Is that a record for DVLA? 4 days  %%

If I'd been in a hurry I'll bet it would be an age.

Well done Swansea  :-)

EDIT it now flies the Union Jack  :-))
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #748 on: November 26, 2020, 11:42:08 am »

For those who are not fond of peaty or smokey I just bought this to swap with mother inlaw as she was given a Talisker Skye not to her liking.
Very low price of £19.99 today on prime
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TSAH04M/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #749 on: December 03, 2020, 10:45:57 pm »

Bowmore no.1 is a mere £20 delivered on Prime this minute
ANDY

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.