Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 183761 times)

Mrs Stav

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Retirement
« Reply #975 on: June 03, 2021, 09:42:22 am »

Phil .....NOW listen ERE Stav says He is now retired due to a spinal chord problem and even HE is has Listened at last,SO you do the same read your PM

Kelly Stav and the girls
Where's the cake ??? I only joined for the cake !!

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #976 on: June 03, 2021, 04:05:00 pm »

Hi Andy, I would like to think you can go on building but I have found it is the hands that give up. Nice day in the shed working away knowing fine well tomorrow you have to prise the digits apart. Oh, who would be a modeller. nemesis

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #977 on: June 03, 2021, 06:02:54 pm »

What you can and cannot do very much depends on your particular health situation. Often you can adapt the type of modelling you do or compensate for difficulties. If you can no longer build effectively then you might be able to continue to run your existing boats, perhaps with assitance from friends or clubmates. Phil might need to think twice about chest high wading but can still use his workshop I would imagine.

I lost much of the sight of one eye last year and building at 1:150 scale has become a whole lot more time consuming without effective binocular vision but it is still possible and I made a 2cm long handrail with knobs on yesterday without too much trouble. Tying knots is another matter, you need to do it more by feel than by sight but still not impossible. My little Greek fishing boat kit which I built from Xmas on and was featured on the cover of the last issue of Model Boats turned out quite well although the minimal rigging was a bit of a challenge - I won't be builing HMS Victory this side of Judgement Day.

Never give up until you really have no other option.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #978 on: June 03, 2021, 10:08:43 pm »

Indeed Colin, have given up on the waders, nice small radio boats from now on....and the days of 10 BA nuts and bolts long gone  %%
Steamed up all the time

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #979 on: June 04, 2021, 07:24:52 am »

Thumb joints are what's causing me most discomfort, after a days work filing & sanding etc they become very painful.
I can see this will be my nemesis!

Colin, you could perhaps consider modelling at a larger scale say 1- 32nd?  Provided you don't build warships!

N

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #980 on: June 04, 2021, 07:27:50 am »

I'm beginning to think I'm in good fettle comparatively  %%

I do exercise my hands regular Bruce Forsyth R.I.P. style since I watched him demonstrate many years ago.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #981 on: June 04, 2021, 01:36:26 pm »

Colin, you could perhaps consider modelling at a larger scale say 1- 32nd?  Provided you don't build warships!

Yes, that can help although building a simpler subject might be more effective i.e. not a warship!

The advantages of building to a larger scale can be offset to some extent by the need to include a higher level of detail than at smaller scales. With my 1:150 scale moels I can get away with an artistic approach by 'suggesting' some of the finer detail whereas at 1:48 you are pretty much committed to replicating most of the detail of the original subject.

In the photo below the portholes are punched out of Trimline tape and stuck on, the doors are printed on the computer and stuck on, the door handles are tiny round headed brass pins and the handrail is painted brass wire with slices of thin wire insulation slid on and painted gold to represent the supports. It works fine at 1:150 scale but wouldn't look right at 1:48.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #982 on: June 04, 2021, 07:00:25 pm »

Hi nordlys, sorry to hear about thomb joint probs.  Mine give me trouble also knees.  I get a strong ibulieve type jelly rub in via GP it is 10 times stronger than the over the counter one.  It works quickly (10 mins) and is very good.  Perhaps you have gone down that route already?
Keep on keeping on
Roy

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #983 on: June 04, 2021, 07:11:40 pm »

Thanks Roy, actually I have had no treatment at all so far. Just about lost all my grip to undo things like bottle tops! They get worse don't they.
I'll look out for the ibulieve gel though.

N

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #984 on: June 04, 2021, 07:18:05 pm »

Hi Nordlys  I did not make it clear this strength is only available on prescription, it has several names the one I use now is called Fenbid.

When I get an aching knee i spread on the gel rub it in and wait 5 minutes for it to dry and a bit later the pain has gone.

Regards
Roy

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #985 on: June 11, 2021, 09:16:15 pm »

First holiday this year. London here we come.
My neighbour went last week and reports all is quiet.
Back to work on the MBD Shannon when I return, right where I left off but with a better backdrop.

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #986 on: June 15, 2021, 10:02:48 pm »

After 2 days on the Thames I'm pretty sold on scratch building this. Thanks to help and links already brought to my attention I have a means to contact the architects for help.
At 1:32 this will be easily as big at my Stevn's Arctic but considerably lighter.
She carries two cranes like this, the starboard side is concealed by the superstructure and sits on the opposite corner.

ANDY

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #987 on: June 16, 2021, 01:25:25 pm »

Some size Andy, When you see the crew,they look like midgets. Do you reckon the crane is big enough to have the hydraulics working?. Two lovely bits of kit. bill

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #988 on: June 20, 2021, 06:54:57 pm »

Hi Bill that might be possible  O0  However I can't look at this until next year. As the weather has again taken a back seat I'm working on the Mercantic hull skin.

EDIT I've just emailed an appeal to Macduff ship design. Fingers crossed.

From their website
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #989 on: June 21, 2021, 11:50:53 am »

Ian Ellis confirms he will provide what I asked for on strict condition that it is for my personal use only.
Normally this request for info would not be entertained but having seen my Stevn's Arctic an exception has been made.
Feeling very happy  :-) 
ANDY

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #990 on: June 21, 2021, 04:05:59 pm »

Hi Andy, this looks like a Project to get your teeth into, three korts and a thruster and all those winches on deck. Oh heaven has come at last. I wish I had the time. I often had this condition applied when asking for plans etc even to the extent of getting a solicitors letter to prove my bona fides. Once had a phone call from Holland to see if I was a Shipyard regarding some info that I was requesting. Glad to see you making headway with the Mercantic, stay safe,bill

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #991 on: June 25, 2021, 05:42:51 pm »

Kier shares! remember them? well again they are paying a handsome return.
Kier has suffered all manor of financial ailments but they have sold the house building arm and made a share placement to raise capital to settle debt.
So the balance sheet looks good moving forwards.
As a share holder everyone was offered 7 shares for each 8 they owned for 85p while the market price was around £1.10
This meant an instant cash bonanza for those who took the offer of 25p a share or better.
I chose to hold on to mine and today they are worth 39p a share more and the price is still climbing.
I'm also dabbling in crypto currency now driven by the influence of my son.
My focus is on XRP coins.
I'm already way ahead in profit so any speculation is only using money I gained in the last two years.

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #993 on: July 02, 2021, 08:43:28 pm »

Deleted on request
ANDY

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #994 on: July 02, 2021, 08:52:30 pm »

Andy, just think of the malts that would get you. Merky looking good. One thing about this boat is the height of hatch coamings, especially the well deck. Very good Andy. bill

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #995 on: July 02, 2021, 09:10:20 pm »

Andy, just think of the malts that would get you. Merky looking good. One thing about this boat is the height of hatch coamings, especially the well deck. Very good Andy. bill

Facebook  by John Johansen
ANDY

RST

« Reply #996 on: July 02, 2021, 10:00:12 pm »

No offence but what you do between you and your mum for money  is private -you shouldn't aire that on a forum for model boats. It helps to talk -I know that myself but money talk of life is grotesque.  ....Don't talk details of money please?

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #997 on: July 02, 2021, 10:11:38 pm »

It was meant to be informative for others who might find themselves in a similar situation.
This section is not boat specific Rich
Post contents deleted
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2021, 09:59:12 pm »

I’ve now been suffering tennis elbow for a prolonged period. The cure is rest  %%
Lateral epicondylitis is the correct title not that it makes a jot of difference.
I’ve ordered some pressure pads that apply pressure specifically where it dulls the pain.
I think I said I’d ordered elbow supports earlier
They are no good at all as they apply pressure everywhere and become uncomfortable without helping
ANDY

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #999 on: July 24, 2021, 02:40:17 pm »

Hi Andy. My sympathy. That might slow down your modelling for a while and give the others a chance to catch up. I had this affliction some years ago when crewing a 32ft yacht, both arms at once, sheer hell. You may find it takes about 9 months to get over it, in my case it left me with a weakness in both. Rest is the key and I hope you better soon, have patience, take care, bill
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.