Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P92 Distribution Board  (Read 4093 times)

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
P92 Distribution Board
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:48:57 pm »

Just got my hands on the production version of the ACTion P92 distribution board - OK so I had the prototype on Gry Maritha, but here is noe of the shipping versions. If you are a bit wary of building something like an ESC, this is a good project to learn about building PCBs and to get a bit of confidence before trying something a little more complex. Also a cracking way of tidying up the wiring.

Stage 0ne is to arrange the components make sure you know where everything goes. The P92 is different to other Action boards in that it has the component legends printed on the board. This makes it easier to assemble.

First stage is to insert R1, R2, C1, C2, D1 and D2. I like to place the parts in byheight order - this way you can flip the board over to solder the leads and the weight of the board holds the components in place. So put in the resistors and solder, then the capacitors then the diodes (LEDs). Remember when inserting the diodes, they go flat to the board. Also they are polarised, make sure you align the flat on the package with the little line on the outline on the PCB. Once they are are all soldered in place, crop the leads just at the top of the solder bead.
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: P92 Distribution Board
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:56:24 pm »

Next stage is to insert the fuse holders. These fit snugly into the board and need a bit of a firm push to get them in place. I have aligned them as shown in the picture to enure the best current distribution in the tracks to avoid hot-spots. You cannot solder the holders so the hole is filled - you just fill the holder with solder if you try. Just solder the bits of the pins that are closest to the pad.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 01:04:54 pm »

Clip five of the terminal blocks together makin sure they are all at the same level. Insert them inot the board and solder them up. Makle sure the openings are pointing out.

Now the difficult bit.....Mounting the regulator. If you ben the leads of the regulator 90 degrees down just atthe point where the leads narrow. If you do this the hole in the regulator will line up with the hole in the PCB. Place the heatsink on the PCB with the hole over the PCB hole. Insert the bolt from the rear of the PCB, then place the regulator in place. Put on the washer and nut and tighten firmly. Once the heatsing and regulator are tightened up solder the regulator leads and crop the leads. Don't solder the regulator until it is bolted into place.

Next stage is to solder in the BEC lead - strip the leads and twist them firmly. Tin the ends with the soldering iron and a bit of solder then crop the end off at 45 degrees. The leads should then insert into the board quite nicely. Use the legend on the board to get the correct leads in the correct holes. Once they are soldered up, crop them off and all is done.

Simple and a cure for untidy wiring.

Wom

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »

What a great little thread. ;D

Thank you. ;D

Makes doing electirical/electronic stuff seem a lot less scary for the uninitiated. :embarrassed:

And these action kits are a great idea. 8)
REduceds all that laobur cost and give us the experience of beeing a sparky/bleep at the same time. O0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 01:27:48 pm »

What are the various outputs?

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:53:29 pm »

Thanks TT, I'm a great believerthat electronics shouldn't be a mystery. The thing with kits like ACTion is that you see what goes into the product. Because they are not potted, they are repairable too!

FuntimeFrankie,

The P92 gives a simple power distribution and fuse system. It has a main 25A fuse to protect the overall system. The two 15A fuses protect the outputs as two groups - Group 1 has three pairs of terminals, Group 2 has two pairs of terminals and the BEC. For the Gry Maritha they are allocated as follows:

G1/1 - Port Drive Motor
G1/2 - Accessories (Crane, Hatches etc)
G2/1 - Not Allocated
G2/2 - Bow Thruster/Stern Thruster
G2/3 - Starbord Drive Motor

Wom

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »

Just to express my thanks in open Forum to Wombat for all his help with this, our first original project since Liz and I took on ACTion.
I shall post full details on the Traders Only thread once I've finished the drawings etc.

FLJ

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 04:27:58 pm »

Tim or FLJ,

Can I use the two motor outputs with an Action mixer which requires separate batteries for the two motors.

Barrie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 05:09:11 pm »

Barrie

Sounds dumb, but some ESCs are fine with just the one battery supplying the two motors when using a P40 mixer (e.g. Bluebird's grey-funnel jobbie). Ironically ours aren't!

My PIC man did once explain to me exactly why not............I lost the will to live after about two minutes. Summat to do with earth loops.

Still, it's only the one  extra set of leads, in't it, me duck?

FLJ (Two days of CorelDraw can twist the mind, you know....  :o)

Tom Eccles

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 09:53:12 pm »

I am the proud owner of two preproduction S92s (strangely enough I call them the Mk1 & Mk2.)

The Mk1 was recently fitted into my Yorkshireman during a minor electrical refit and the Mk2 is going to be installed into my current build, a Cruiser Tug.

Having used them I think they are the dogs doo dahs and personally, I can't wait to get my hands on the latest model.

Well done Wombat and FLJ

Clegg

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 05:59:17 pm »

No - its an extra battery I hadn't planned for >:(

Barrie

Tom Eccles

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »

As of this evening I am the happy owner of a P92 D.B. For reasons which will become obvious I now refer to this as the Mk3.

Contrary to my earlier posting I will now incorporate this unit into the build of my Mountfleet Cruiser where it will supply a P80 ESC, P56 engine sound simulator, P34 mixer amp, P29 steam whistle simulator, smoke unit and a P44 twin relay switch - this to operate the smoke unit and steam whistle sounder. Of course there will be a 4" speaker incorporated into the circuit. All these items come from ACTion; WHY??  Because Dave was kind enough to listen to what some would think was a silly question from a beginner about connecting up a number of modules to a power scource.

The result was the Mk1 which answered my needs. This was followed by the Mk2 which incorporated a BEC circuit. Now Wombat has worked his magic on the design and dave has had the courage  to actually produce and sell the unit, in these times of suppliers finding business more and more difficult, an action that deserves applause and support from us all.

During my Army service we had a saying "Chuffed to NAAFI breaks" which was an indication of deep joy.

Thanks to Wombat and Dave I am once again Chuffed to NAAFI breaks!!

Clegg

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:57 pm »

No - its an extra battery I hadn't planned for >:(

Barrie

I have popped a few ideas over to FLJ on this one, please be patient. Will update you on Wednesday if you are there

Tim

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:03:07 pm »

I have popped a few ideas over to FLJ on this one, please be patient. Will update you on Wednesday if you are there
Tim

To one and all who may be interested - Wombat's ideas bore fruit, and we can now finally nail the idea that you need more than one battery for an ACTion Mixer installation - you most definitely don't. This afternoon I had three ESCs and a servo all connected to one mixer, with a P92 board supplying fused power to the lot, including the Rx - all from one 6v gel-cell. Bl00dy impressive, actually; I was nearly as chuffed to NAAFI breaks as Clegg!

There may be further refinements to come, but if anyone wants to pursue the matter then please contact me and I'll be happy to explain how it's done. O, yes...nearly forgot........it will cost you nothing to make the necessary changes; they will take approx half a minute per ESC; they are totally reversible, and you don't need to know anything about electronics either. You won't even need a soldering iron.

FLJ (aka Today's happiest chicken)  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.