Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Yachts early 1960's  (Read 2519 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Star Yachts early 1960's
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:56:23 am »

As children in the period 1960 - 1963 we had two of the larger Star yachts that were sold in toy shops and which we purchased new. Mine was, I think, the largest that was on normal display (in our local toy shop) and had an orange/red surround to the deck & the other was the next size down & had a blue deck surround. Both were solid wood with white sails. Both had masts that folded down & which were held up by a pin that went through a U shaped "brass"  bracket at the bow. Both had steel plate keels.

This is how I remember them but then I was a child & it was nearly 60 years ago.

I am trying to identify exactly what we had and to find out their size as I am sure that my memory has them much larger than they actually were.

I have searched the web and just got more confused as their appears to be little on the 1960's. I was hoping to find a scanned catalogue to help with identifying them but no such luck.

Identifying pictures & any other help please.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Star Pond Yachts early 1960's
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:20:11 pm »

My orange one, being larger, was faster.  :-)) :-)) :-)) 

garethjones35

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Star Yachts early 1960's
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:07:21 pm »

Hi Tug Fanatic,

Have you tried these two sites:-   http://www.vmyg.org.uk/pages/resources/small_boat/star.htm#catalogue

http://www.birkenheadstaryachts.co.uk/

Regards
Gareth

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 03:42:18 pm »

Hi Tug Fanatic,

Have you tried these two sites:-   http://www.vmyg.org.uk/pages/resources/small_boat/star.htm#catalogue

http://www.birkenheadstaryachts.co.uk/

Regards
Gareth

Fantastic. I have no idea why my searches did not find them.

SY/6 and SY/7 which are actually bigger than I would have guessed.

Thank you.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:53:48 pm »

interesting!
I have two, mine was Pacific Star, had a white hull and gold trim with gold keel, and the original stand, my sisters' was smaller, its at my mums, cant recall the name it was a green hull, both all original and water ready, with original sails, and rigging as I recall :-))

RST

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:18:19 pm »

A holiday in Cromer back in early 80's introduced me to model boats.  I remember my late Father bought me the yellow hulled Star Yacht from the local shop, my little Brother got the smaller red one.  We spent allot of time at the circular pond near the tea room.  I had my first shot of R/C when some very elderly gentleman let me have the TX of his very small puffer -and I sailed it somehow into a much bigger star yacht crossing the pond!  What a very kind old man that was, I think I was so small I cried!  I have very ond memories of Cromer, Start Yachts and the folk who turned up at that pond every night with R/C models while my brother and I insisted we went sailing.  I don't remember so many other things back when I was 4 or 5!

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 08:12:39 am »

Hi it's John V there's three vintage star yacht's on flee bay have a look . Bring back memories cheers John V

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 01:42:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure I had one of these - my memory tells me it was an SY4. Cream hull with a blue stripe at the deck edge. I don't know what happened to it but I do rememeber I had may hours of pleasure sailing it in a small round pond in Harrpe Lodge Park in Hornchurch, just in front of the old library/swimming pool. It set me on the course of building model boats and I never stopped!

Iron Duke is mine and I'm building Invincible at the moment.

I have very many pleaseant memories with this yacht - about 1966 I think!!

Great fun

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 01:45:16 pm »

I used to have one of these SY4 if I rememember. Cream hull, blue keel and a blue deck edged stripe. Hours and hours of fun. I used to sain in a small round pond at Harrow Lodge Park in Hornchurch about 1966.

It started my on a hobby of model building which has continued all my life. Iron Duke is mine and I'm building Invincible.

All really good fun

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.