Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/35 KN1 Sea Tank  (Read 3527 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
1/35 KN1 Sea Tank
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:12:57 pm »

In 1946 the DOD realing from the near defeat in ww2 realised our costal defence was lacking and that we needed far more destroyers but lacked the funds to produce them after the collosal costs of the war it was decided we needed light weight fast vessels with the fire power of a destroyer, it was decided that only one designer could design such a vessel, after the success of his flying tank the handsome and clever designer kpnuts was the only one capable of building the new vessel. No one knew where he had gone and a massive manhunt began to find him.
A little older and more grey haired, but distinguishly handsome, he was found on a remote island off the Galapagos, he was set to work immediately, after exhaustive research it was decided the crusader 3 tank would be the basis of this new vessel.
The first 3 prototypes sank without a trace but KN1 became the most successful sea tank ever made. Watch this space for the story of what could arguably be called the most successful sea going vessel of modern times

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/35 KN1 Sea Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:25 pm »

Hi all well the fun begins, I'm not worried about realism or true to life just having some fun, trying different modeling methods and materials.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:22:34 pm »

If you extend the hull down to a deep shape along with the suspension you will echo a real ife experiment made during the war to create an amphibious tank like the LV-Ts.

Having a pointy bow and a Mk3 turret makes yours more potent  8)
Pond weed is your enemy

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:16:28 am »

Awesome Ken, love your imaginings.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:35:00 pm »

If you extend the hull down to a deep shape along with the suspension you will echo a real ife experiment made during the war to create an amphibious tank like the LV-Ts.

Having a pointy bow and a Mk3 turret makes yours more potent  8)

Mayhem never ceases to amaze.  I thought I knew my WW2 vehicles but the LVT4/Crusader cross was new to me.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:01:55 pm »

It amazed me when I first saw it a few years back. What people design as fun and sci fi projects often has its roots in reality.

I am steeped in military machines for work, but I see vehicles and weapons every year that I have not heard of before.

I look forward to see Ken's next set of piccies:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 09:57:25 pm »

Hi all here is the next update

Going to add some outriggers at some point.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 10:00:48 pm »

It is a shame you didn't use the side skirts as part of the out riggers as they have a boaty shape side on and lots of detail.

I like the shape of the bow and stern flotation tanks  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 06:33:16 am »

Hi all, well since the Thermopylae is shelved again I'm onto this again, here is where I am now.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:42 pm »

Hi all well as I said on my Spad build this yr I'm going to try and finish some of my shelved builds.

This one wasn't stopped for problems with the build. I started this on another forum that is ruled with an iron fist I got fed up with continuing complaints and warnings from the admin (everything I posted on there was exactly the same as here and other forums I frequent, with no complaints on here or any of the others) the final straw was complaining about the back story on this build (I decided I don't want to be on a forum where you can't even use humour in a topic) I've not posted there since and of course it put me off the build, well I've decided to start it again.
Ive removed the side shields as I'm intending to add inflatable type
Floats.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:40 am »

Transcribed to Font Face Size #10pt %)

"Hi all well as I said on my Spad build this yr I'm going to try and finish some of my shelved builds.
This one wasn't stopped for problems with the build. I started this on another forum that is ruled with an iron fist I got fed up with continuing complaints and warnings from the admin (everything I posted on there was exactly the same as here and other forums I frequent, with no complaints on here or any of the others) the final straw was complaining about the back story on this build I decided I don't want to be on a forum where you can't even use humour in a topic) I've not posted there since and of course it put me off the build, well I've decided to start it again.Ive removed the side shields as I'm intending to add inflatable type Floats.
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 11:41:15 pm »

I look forward to how you deal with the floats Ken.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 06:25:55 pm »

Hi all well I've added the wheel and a sort of nautical colour scheme, once the tracks are on I will add some outrigger pontoon supports, going thought my spares box I can't find any props of an appropriate size then I thought about adding paddles to the wheels (which I figure would allow it amazing manouverability and allow it to turn in its own radius) what do you think is that a feasible idea.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:38:39 pm »

Paddles on the wheels - err me, no - in theory, if it was to stay permanently in the water - yes, but as it's probably going to be a land tank with a water ability then the tracks won't go round with paddles on the wheels, if it is a period vehicle (and being a crusader that means WII) then I would go with what was available - like the M4 shermans, just what do you have that could be converted to two props - you do cars etc - any spare radiator fans ?

Knowing what we know nowadays, drop tanks as sponsons would be a better option than the drop curtain employed on the M4's, or just large inflatable underwater sponsons would have been better.

Me personally I would have built a roll on roll off barge with side panel sponsons that had enormous tank tracks at each corner, with a foot print that would allow for the barge to crawl up the beach, it would have had an angled segmented roof of ship grade armour plate to deflect the shells of the expected gun batteries and engines that would drive two props on each side, both front and back with drop down ramps and gaps in the roof armour where the transported tanks turrets would poke out to give covering fire whilst approaching the beach, the idea would for it to crawl up the beach until it became difficult, then when the front dropped, the two front tanks push a large roll of metal mesh out onto the beach they would then move forward and give further coverage when they moved to the sides, the next tank would be the mesh carrier rolling out another roll after the first length to get further up the beach, followed by another two M4's, whilst this is going on the mesh carrier returns and collects more rolls of mesh and works to widen / lengthen the coverage, another barge would then have got up being the first and the two ramps dropped to allow the second barge to deliver its tanks, if the tide went out other barges could close up behind the other barges providing a sort of causeway for troops and tanks, but thats me thinking out of the box.  :D
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 01:03:33 pm »

On reflection you could have paddles but they would have to be hinged to only open about 40 degrees, so say the tank was in the water and as a diver you were underneath the track, with the tank moving right to left the track at the bottom would be moving left to right, each tread on the track would fall down, being hinged on the left pivot dropping down the 40 degree, as it ran up past the spoked drive wheel it would stay deployed, as it rotated to run along the top it would drop flat, when it ran over the front guide wheel it would still stay flat until gravity made it swing out, on sand it would have two effects, 1) dig in and give traction, 2) flatten off as the weight of the tank pushed it down as the 40 degree would mean very little angle to seriously dig in - in theory, in water as it dropped down it acts like a scoop.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.