Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• London Model Engineering Exhibition - 2019: January 18, 2019 - January 20, 2019
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: London Model Engineering Exhibition - 2019  (Read 11996 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
London Model Engineering Exhibition - 2019
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:34:47 pm »

FRIDAY 18th - SUNDAY 20th JANUARY 2019

Great Hall, Alexandra Palace, London, N22 7AY

Come along and see the full spectrum of modelling from traditional model engineering, steam locomotives and traction engines through to the more modern gadgets including trucks, boats, aeroplanes and helicopters as featured on “The One Show”.

Visitors can travel between the show's different zones, trying the activities and watching fascinating and technical demonstrations.

Over 50 clubs and societies will be present displaying their members work and competing to win the prestigious Society Shield. In total nearly 2,000 models will be on display.

All of the leading suppliers will also be present giving hobbyists an excellent opportunity to see and compare products under one roof. You will be able to purchase virtually anything you need for your next model or project or to get you started in a hobby.

This is a great day out for all the family, one the children will love with all the working models. If you are interested in modelling yourself or want to rekindle you childhood memories, you will find something amongst the many diverse types of modelling on display to admire. If you are not already a modeller hopefully the exhibition will fire your imagination to build something yourself and enjoy one of these satisfying hobbies.

The South's Major Showcase of Modelling... Not to be Missed!

https://www.londonmodelengineering.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/LondonModelEngineeringExhibition/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: London Model Engineering Exhibition - 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:08:06 pm »

I visited yesterday. Sadly exhibits and traders appeared to be much reduced on past years, and I did hear that this may be the final show.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 02:03:22 pm »

What boat stands, displays etc?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:18:13 pm »

Everything is down on last year. Some clubs have made a bit of an effort, but I think it's simply a case that many members in these organisations are getting on, or 'moving on' to the great workshop in the sky. Last year the whole back length of the hall had stands, this year they have just the one.

I'm local to the venue, so it wasn't a big deal for me, if I was travelling any distance to visit I'd have been disappointed.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 02:47:11 pm »

Feedback on the Model Engineer website indicates that the engineers were rather disappointed as well.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 02:56:17 pm »

Must be hugely expensive putting on a show in London these days.....     {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 04:23:14 pm »

It always has been Martin, it's just that in the past there were enough visiting modellers and other interested people to pay for it! It's not just London though. By the look of it within a couple of years or so there won't be any commercial model shows of the old type left. The traders can't keep them afloat if there are not enough visitors, it just becomes too expensive for them. The old rule of thumb was that they should be able to cover their costs and make a bit of profit but I wonder how many of those at Warwick actually did so? Blackpool is sort of not profit making but the organisers still made a small loss, same at Haydock by all accounts.

Deans and Mobile Marine Models have deserted Warwick in favour of setting up their own events. Costs less and they seem to be drawing a good attendance which encourages other traders to participate at sustainable cost. Maybe that is the future?

Discuss!

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:01:13 pm »

I just got back from the MEE. Last show I went to in London was the old Model Engineer exhibition at Olympia in 1996. There was very little to compare, far smaller, no competition entries, very few traders. I went with a list of odds and ends I wanted, and the only stand selling anything marine related was Howes. Nothing against the Howes but they are my local shop!

I came home with a few clamps, some servos leads, solder and very little else. I met some of the people from the club I was in 25 years ago (Hanwell) and that did make the 3 hours each way worthwhile, but the show itself was but a shadow of its forerunner.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 09:57:37 pm »

The show being discussed here has no connection with the original MEE. It started as a show held in late January at Picketts Lock, and moved to Alexandra Palace around the turn of the millennium, when the venue at Picketts Lock was earmarked for redevelopment. It was much aimed at general model making, but seemed to morph into a show geared  more towards nuts and bolts model engineering over time.

The original MEE ceased to be a really large show in 1999, where it had a final hurrah also at Alexandra Palace. That was a good show and well attended by the public, but for some reason the plug was pulled after that. The show reappeared a few years later but with a much greater emphasis on high end model engineering.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:34 pm »

I am aware of the history, I only mentioned the original MEE as that was the last show I attended in London (1996) and so was the only thing I could compare it to. I suspect that the difference reflect the changes in society as modellers age than anything else. It was an OK day out, but I doubt I'd do it next year.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 11:01:31 pm »

I wonder how many of those at Warwick actually did so?

Frankly, I'm amazed any traders bother showing up at Warwick.

The reason I never did it as a trader was that by the time we'd paid for the extortionately expensive stall, hotels, food and travel it would have been nearly £1500 for the weekend. There is no chance we'd have got anywhere near that in revenue, never mind turning a profit.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 09:09:58 am »

It is so desperately sad that we don't have a comprehensive model show for marine enthusiasts where all (or at least most) of the traders turn up.

Anyone who has been to the Warley Model Railway Show (Rail), the Plastic Model Show at Telford or the BMFA Nationals at Barkston Heath (flying) knows exactly what I mean.

Even niche groups in other modelling hobbies have such shows ie 16mm Garden Rail Show at Peterborough. This is every bit as much small traders as model boats but they all turn up as do the modellers.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 09:45:59 am »

There is a 'Marine modelling' only show at Haydock late in the year , The Model Boat Convention . . . BUT it's dying a death . . . the reason is KIDDIES wont go to look at model boats . . . Blackpool's show nearly closed until the new organisers opened the doors to RC cars/trucks . . .
Haydock organisers have to change with the times or . . .
I went to the Model Engineering Show at Doncaster , same thing there that RC cars/trucks made a big difference to attendances. 
Bill

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:34 am »

Garden railways don't have lots of kids either yet the show blossoms.

I don't think that the kids problem is that they don't want to look at Model Boats but rather that they don't want to look at Model Boats sitting doing nothing on tables. They would not want to look at trucks sitting on a table either.

All the other shows have lots going on - displays etc - but Model Boat shows are by comparison very pedestrian. Display pools are rarely exciting.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 10:50:43 am »

Maybee Tug Fanatic you should consider the Blackpool model show

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:33 am »

In answer to Tug Fanatic:

You have to bear in mind that model railways, plastic kits and model flying are all more popular than model boating so boaters constitute a much smaller customer base to draw upon.

The other big problem is that for many years now, show organisers have ploughed their own independent furrows without attempting to consolidate and rationalise.

In a three month period we have Haydock, Blackpool and Warwick. I doubt if many people go to all three, more probably just the one. Haydock is the survivor of a bitter dispute with two shows taking place at the same time within a few miles of each other. It is geographically in the same part of the country as the revived Blackpool show. Ellesmere port show was also in the same area until it folded.

Down south we had the original Model Engineering Exhibition sponsored by the publishers of Model Engineer and other modelling magazines and this was then challenged by the London Model Engineering Exhibition staged by Meridienne. Both shows initially took place over the winter period. Most people went to one or the other but not both as it was mostly just the same traders and exhibitors. Neither side wanted to compromiise and the original MEX, after trying different venues and times of the year now appears to have faded away altogether and it appears that the London show is also now no longer viable.

Warwick this year is reducing from three days to two which is probably a sensible step in cutting costs to match footfall but the trend is still downward I fear.

Introducing other types of modelling is a good sign and may boost attendance witha wider age range than superannuated boaters can offer but there still needs to be more co operation and consolidation as the existing big shows are all becoming unviable at once and could easily disappear within a couple of years leaving just smaller club and trader sponsored events.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 11:01:54 am »

Colin

I doubt that Model Boats has fewer participants than 16mm Narrow Gauge model railways yet that has a show that blossoms & model boats has shows that are dying.

I don't have all (or indeed any of) the answers but I could see a National Festival of model boats working that embraced all aspects of the hobby into something that was engaging & exciting.

I have also said in the past that I think that we might be better to expand the promotion the idea of Model Boats at shows where lots of modellers turn up anyway (like Wings & Wheels) rather than cling to the idea that Model Boats are the key & that we might allow others to join us.

I also think that at least part of the problem is the lack of a national body that represents Model Boating. Yes the power boat racers have theirs & the sailors another but their is no equivalent of the BMFA (flying) nor the 16mm Association (Garden Railways)

I am being deliberately controversial but unless someone stirs things up a bit there soon won't be much left.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 11:36:30 am »

There is a national body for model boaters - the MPBA - but most boaters don't bother to support it, particularly the scale side so it isn't in a position to exert much influence these days. That's down to boater apathy!

A national show would be nice but somebody needs to stage it and it needs to be centrally located to allow as many people as possible to attend. Maybe the nearest you have to this at the moment is Warwick for displays/traders and the Mayhem Wicksteed gathering for running models. There are also some good club events still which might be expanded as used to happen with Beale Park until the owners tried to make it too commercial and drove the traders away. Haydock and Blackpool have proven venues but are too far North for a genuine national event.

Would Wicksteed Park have sufficient accommodation to stage a show with stands and traders? And how much would it cost?
Colin

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:38 pm »

It is so desperately sad that we don't have a comprehensive model show for marine enthusiasts where all (or at least most) of the traders turn up.

As I said above, traders aren't there to make it a 'compreshensive' show. They're there because they run a business, and are there to put food on their tables. If they have found that they do not make a profit at shows - and believe me, I know how well each of the traders do at shows - they will not turn up again. This is the reason we never did Warwick, and ditched a load of shows across the country because we would be at a substantial financial loss if we went.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 04:45:19 pm »

As consolidation was mentioned, perhaps the MPBA should consider consolidating with the BMFA and BRCA, and various other organisations to  get some weight behind organising events that modellers would be interested in attending and might attract some new talent.

Over a decade ago I started up some pool runs for model submariners. The two major organisations that supposedly  represented the hobby in his country, the AMS and to a lesser extent the Sub Committee (primarily US based but with some UK members) had done little to try and reinvent themselves over the years, and seemed content to rest on their laurels.

The result of the pool runs was a stimulus to the hobby and a country wide series of events for model submariners that never existed before.

Something to bear in mind is that communication years ago was expensive- printed items dispatched by mail meant fairly high costs just to let folk know what was going on. With the internet, social media etc. information can be distributed at no cost, and it's meant that the relevance of many organisations is now greatly diminished.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 08:03:45 pm »

I 100% agree with Tug Fanatic. Most of the indoor model boat shows are dreadfully dull affairs. Who wants to see rows of models on a table - not me, and not most younger people judging by the falling attendance figures. And then you have all the crusty old fossils behind the tables who don't appear interested in engaging with visitors, and who give the impression they are only there for the free tickets they received from their club. They really put me off from attending as well!

Garden railways don't have lots of kids either yet the show blossoms.

I don't think that the kids problem is that they don't want to look at Model Boats but rather that they don't want to look at Model Boats sitting doing nothing on tables. They would not want to look at trucks sitting on a table either.

All the other shows have lots going on - displays etc - but Model Boat shows are by comparison very pedestrian. Display pools are rarely exciting.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 08:22:59 pm »

Well, to be fair, it's not easy to set up a decent sized pool in an internal show venue - all that water....

Fine for trucks of course and of course railways but if you want to see boats on the water you really need to attend club events. You won't see much in the way of model flying indoors either except for small electric models.

So, Charlie, what DO you want to see and under what conditions?

Do tell!

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 08:39:18 pm »

I always like the shows based around some decent stretch of water, like the Beale park shows in the 90s or the Brighton Marina show(s).

Showing off decent models in a glorified paddling pool seemed a bit of a waste of time to me.

Model fliers have (had?) plenty of shows throughout the warmer months based on airfields, so there was always plenty of interest to watch as well a good choice of trade sellers. It shouldn't be impossible to organise a marine version of that, desire our smaller numbers.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 08:44:07 pm »

Well, the Mayhem weekend and many club events do just that but it is best that people get involved personally and participate. Events don't organise themselves as many people appear to believe.

Colin

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 08:45:54 pm »

I'll do my best to support events like that this year. I used to really enjoy them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.