Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: driving licence  (Read 4325 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
driving licence
« on: January 14, 2019, 05:44:41 pm »

my mates new puppy has chewed up his driving licence can he still drive his car

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: driving licence
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:56:52 pm »

Yes he can, but he needs to apply for a replacement, see this link.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence
Colin

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:00:19 pm »

NO... puppies are not allowed to drive cars :} Your friend can still drive his car but he needs to be sure he has applied for a replacement one just in case he gets stopped by the boys in blue for any reason.
He can apply on-line at: -https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-replace-a-driving-licence
It will cost him £20.00 to do so.
Hope this helps.
AlexC

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:29:24 pm »

Will have to get a photo card licence presuming the chewed one was the old paper version. Im onto my wife she needs to change hers.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 02:14:55 pm »

Knowing Gordon's age, his mate may have one of the old booklet types 8)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 04:29:14 pm »

And the most pressing question is - whats a puppy doing with a driving licence, surely it would be more interested in a scooter licence as it will be a small tear away, Yes I know the dog licence doesn't have the necessary class for scooters.

Is the grandfather rights still applicable, I have a C1+E on a paper licence, i remember a couple of years ago that to drive a C1 you need the tacho rules if for business.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:46:52 pm »

I still have my original Mauritian licence from when I worked there in 1966.
My sister in law, ex DC took me into the main Police Station to see her old boss who tore a corner off a piece of paper and stamped it and handed it to me.
I wonder what would happen if I had to show it today!
Am I still allowed to drive a heavy locomotive on a British licence?
I would love to drive the Flying Scotsman

RST

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:16:58 pm »

Will have to get a photo card licence presuming the chewed one was the old paper version. Im onto my wife she needs to change hers.

...Surely everyone has a photocard licence by now?  I know someone who claims they had an additional fine for not producing a photocard after a reasonable timescale.  Of course, you can claim ignorance, but as a copper once told me, you don't even have to produce one on the spot by law (just in the timescale, if you get issued a "producer"), but if an old moth-eaten paper copy is presented, they start to wonder why, and start asking extra questions which is hassle for both parties.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:21:53 pm »

...Surely everyone has a photocard licence by now?  I know someone who claims they had an additional fine for not producing a photocard after a reasonable timescale.  Of course, you can claim ignorance, but as a copper once told me, you don't even have to produce one on the spot by law (just in the timescale, if you get issued a "producer"), but if an old moth-eaten paper copy is presented, they start to wonder why, and start asking extra questions which is hassle for both parties.
Nope. There's no requirement to change from the paper version to the photo card for a few years yet unless you change address or name etc. I only changed to a photo license a few years ago because in my line of work, I had to produce photo id and the passport had expired.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:52 pm »

No, you don’t need a photo card. If you’ve still got the pink paper one (as I have), it’s just as valid as the photo card - and you don’t have to get it renewed every 10 years.

If you have to get your licence altered though, you’ll get a photo card reissued to you.

Lance

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 09:40:22 pm »

I think possibly the only problem with no photo ID licence will be car hire abroad
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:46 pm »

Once you are 70, you have to send your old licence in.You will then get a photo one for 3 years as long as you are OK medically.
Shouldn't be any problem with car hire abroad, I used my new one in Greece this year with no issues.
Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:00 pm »

Once you are 70, you have to send your old licence in.You will then get a photo one for 3 years as long as you are OK medically.
Shouldn't be any problem with car hire abroad, I used my new one in Greece this year with no issues.
Colin

new photo one ?  has anyone hired with a paper only?
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 09:47:05 pm »

Yes, old paper one went in and they will use your passport photo if you have one for the new photo licence.

There was a delay for me as I have an eye condition and had to take the visual acuity and visual field tests. During that time you can still drive in the UK without a licence but obviously the lack of one will stop you hiring a car until you get the new one.

Before that I have hired every year in Europe, North America and New Zealand with just the old, rather tattered, paper one. No problem.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 09:50:08 pm »

Sorry I think I'm misunderstood. Have you hired a car abroad with paper licence only? recently
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 09:51:05 pm »

See edited post above. No problem.
Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 09:51:39 pm »

Ok thank you Colin :-))

I sense that generally there is a reluctance to upgrade to the photo ID but personally I find it advantageous almost daily as the accepted form of I.D.
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 09:56:34 pm »

They just take the number and don't seem worried. In America, Canada and New Zealand it was the international firms , Avis, National, Hertz etc. and Europe it has been local firms in Greece.
We also take or own car to the Continent but you won't be asked for your licence unless you are stopped for some reason or need to report a theft.
Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:19 pm »

Upgrading to a photo card costs you and has to be renewed at intervals so no point in doing so unless you have to such as when hitting 70. Abroad just use your passport as ID.

In the UK I have a bus pass.  :}
Colin

RST

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 10:02:59 pm »

Nope. There's no requirement to change from the paper version to the photo card for a few years yet unless you change address or name etc. I only changed to a photo license a few years ago because in my line of work, I had to produce photo id and the passport had expired.

...wow, everyone I know made sure they changed over because it is just so much simpler afterwards.  I realise there are are a few folk still clinging-on to their old papers and refuse to pay the charge, but I really do think in this case the change-over is wholly justified and time has come.

...as to hiring with paper copies in Europe?

My photo card has not been enough in Europe and the US before over the past few years.  There is always some extra paperwork involved.  I remember my old paper counterpart days though -thank GOD we have progressed since then!!!!  The photo license is SO much better even if you are like me and not a believer in the "big data" plan!!!  There are some extra steps involved if you have to hire cars these days but it's so clearly described and the info available it's really quite easy.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 10:14:32 pm »

I hired in Greece last summer with a brand new photocard. I asked in advance if there would be any problems but they said it would be perfectly OK and so it was.

I have two more Greece hires booked for this year, one in Crete and one on the Mainland, both with local firms I have used previously. I think the only issue is whether it might be advisable to get an International Driving Permit depending on what the Brexit mess throws up but I doubt if it will be necessary.

Colin

RST

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:06 pm »

I have two more Greece hires booked for this year, one in Crete and one on the Mainland, both with local firms I have used previously. I think the only issue is whether it might be advisable to get an International Driving Permit depending on what the Brexit mess throws up but I doubt if it will be necessary.

...That much is very clear.  I am working in France (Paris area) for the forseeable future (started woring here start of October 2018) and the capability to bring my car across, hire or buy something local etc etc. is very unclear post-May time as I may be here for some years.  Nobody seems to know what will happen in a few months time.

It seems not possible to do much of any form of forward planning at all at the moment.  One would love to discuss options but it would fall foul of the forum rules.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 10:34:42 pm »

No, RST, your situation is a bit different than for tourists but I wouldn't worry too much. There are many thousands of UK expats in the EU including many retirees in Spain who will expect to be able to continue driving as usual. It is very unlikely that the EU will force them off the road. Why on earth should they?

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 10:42:25 pm »

When I did one of my 3 yearly renewals online and as I no longer required glasses  after cataracts removed I ticked  no to the do you need glasses  section.  The site immediately came back with this is a different reply to your last one please confirm.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 10:53:28 pm »

Well that's fair enough Jaymac. Getting slightly off topic a big problem is that many over 70 people tick the boxes to say they are OK to drive when the aren't because they cannot bear the idea of giving up their cars. They may not realise, or don't care, that this automatically invalidates their insurance.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.