Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I made a cake  (Read 3381 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
I made a cake
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:18:59 pm »

Hi, all, I made a cake last week a country cake but with Christmas levels of fruit in it.  My wife said it was very nice.  I did not have any glace cherries but I did find a small jar of cocktail cherries which I cut up and used.
These cherries were 20 years old Best before date early 1999.  I have a theory that things kept in syrup or sugar last a long while.  Am I living in a fools paradise?
Just had some left over, very nice and 'matured'
regards Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I made a cake
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 01:30:06 am »

Well Roy...don't bring any cake on the flight to OZ...they would probably confiscate it  {-)

However whilst I don't eat cake ..I do love Asparagus on toast with salt & pepper

This variety of New Season Asparagus spears are particularly soft & sweet

I took a hamper to one of my Daughters on Boxing Day, however she threw the jar away

According to the younger generation, anything that is 2 years out of date  <*< is not fit for consumption

Not sure which season they are suggesting, but I have plenty of jars left as I buy them in box's of the dozen at Aldi  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:25:07 am »

Hi Lads
My wife made wedding and engagement cakes for years.
I got the cutoff bits in my lunch box, much to the surprise of my workmates!!!
She moved into making Easter eggs and chocolate frogs (13 favours).
Yes I got some in my lunchbox.
We ended up with a nice little sideline on the frogs.
Sold three dozen the first day before morning tea!!!
Rang home for a double order for the next day!!
Yes my handbrake(wife) is a good cook, so I think she is a keeper.
Canabus
I cannot cook for nuts !!!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:14:21 am »

I regularly trawl the reduced section in the supermarket for my weeks dinners, most things are ok if kept refrigerated (or frozen on the day of purchase) and then cooked when I want to eat them, I am always happy to exceed a best before date, and use by's I usually give a day or two after, especially if I will be cooking them. now a best before date on a jar of honey is just ludicrous, they have found edible honey in the pyramids.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:47:22 am »

Hi
No use by dates on wine !!!!
I had three bottles of beers, five years old and they were dam nice yesterday in Tasmania's 28 degree heat.
Canabus

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:01:41 am »

Making a cake is a bit too adventurous for me Roy but I'll happily eat it  :-)
My surprise cake a year ago. They cooked up a right weekend at Falstone barns up north

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:12:09 am »

Hi all, no sugary advice then, but as I am still here my theory holds good. 

Having in my early days come through a war torn Britain you ate pretty much anything that was put in front of you.  Several people my age have the habit of a large storage of tinned food as did my father.  Most of the tins were thrown away when things got better.  But I could never eat stuffed marrow, I hate it to this day, I also had too much rabbit which I do not like either.
With all the cooking programmes on the TV the Nation is being invited to getting back to cooking for oneself and away from fast food however attractive it may be.  Perhaps replicating the fast food at home might just shock a few into just how much sugar and fat is involved.  But I do not buy products labelled fat free as there is something else in there to make up the difference.

Well asparagus for some, my weakness is baked beans (Branston).  I know there is lots of sugar but once a fortnight or so makes it a treat.

Now this cake has gone my next will be a lemon drizzle job, If I remember I will post a picture.  Now there is a good case for butter and sugar!
regards,
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:56 am »

Nice one Taranis!  I reckon anyone who can build a model boat kit can make a cake.  There is no sanding down, no filling and no painting.  Just a sharp knife to cut it and share.
Start with a 'kit' or cake mix as they call it and follow the instructions on the pack, which will also tell you what you need extra, like a cake tin.  Anyway the instructions are usually simple, short and sweet.

The way to a girls heart you know!  Especially if there is chocolate involved.  Ahhh memories!

Enough of that, got to go and do the shopping.
All the best,
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 09:54:29 am »

The use by date on tinned goods isn't based on the deterioration of the contents but on the metallic lining of the can leaching into them! Glass should be safer though.
Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 10:05:59 am »

"Sell by", "Best Before", "Use By".  All different, and the "Use By" date is often subject to extension, sometimes very considerable extension, if the keeper has a lick of sense.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:06 am »

As someone who's father was a grocer from the late forties, we never ate anything that wasn't slightly dodgy. There were no Sell By or Best Before Dates in those days. If a side of bacon got a little smelly, then a soak in a weak vinegar solution made it edible %) %)

Barrie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 10:32:17 am »

Colin....the limitation on tinned products is actually the reverse.....

It is the ability of the internal coated surfaces to withstand the acidity of the product in neutralizing or eating the coated surface

Chemists & metallurgists work has spanned all manner of edible consumer products from cat food to beer

I would be more than happy to sit down & share a glass bottle [or 2] of 5 year old beer with Canabus ......however would decline a can of that age

Interestingly, just checked a can on VIC Bitter from my refrigerator [Christmas left over] just now...it has a use by date of Sept 19 [aluminium can] ..so about 1 year

This is probably why Roy's 20 year old Cherries in glass were OK  O0

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 10:48:36 am »

That's more or less what I meant Derek!
Colin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:41 am »

I remember when we used to visit my Gran in the late 1960's, if we stayed for a meal, off she would trot with a garden spade, a quick dig in a specific spot in the garden, and out would pop a large metal biscuit tin, from inside a random tin of something was taken out and the rest re-buried, there was usually no label on the tin (sometimes it was a wartime tin of corned beef - other occasions it was peaches, it was a pot luck affair) the contents would then be emptied out and were always consumed (unless they had gone really off in which case a second tin was selected). use by dates- if it smelt ok you ate it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »

OK then. Which of you guys is going to describe tapping your elevenses buiscuits on the table to get the weevils out...

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 01:49:42 pm »

OK then. Which of you guys is going to describe tapping your elevenses buiscuits on the table to get the weevils out...

Colin

But then not to eat the biscuits but to race the weevils and see which was the lesser !
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 01:53:20 pm »

Had boredom set in before the weavil racing or after?
Roy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 02:07:59 pm »

The ships biscuits in the 50/60's RN were well clear of weevils. The Cockroaches had eaten them :D
Ned
And Yes Colin, we raced them as well, all painted in their racing colours O0
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 02:53:44 pm »

If baking a cake, the best advice I heard implied that you should keep the recipe in a safe place.  And not leave the cake out in the rain.  As true now as in the late '60's.

Ned - which had the cockroaches eaten, the biscuits or the weevils?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 03:02:07 pm »

The Weevils of course O0
The biscuits were too hard.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 03:02:24 pm »

What a really weevil lot you are!

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:57 pm »

I still have several jars of mini gherkins with Olives stuck on the ends that a chap gave me back in 2016. He imports nuts and other nibbly bits to sell at markets and the customs fork lift chap put his tines through the bottom of the load on top of the pallet puncturing two large tubs of these Gherkin things. He could not sell them to customers, so offered the two tubs worth £25 each to me for a fiver! They hung around in my kitchen for two days until I could find someone who sold white vinegar, and spent an after noon scalding and filling old jam jars and beetroot jars etc with these gherkins and vinegar and brine. Out of the fourteen jars I filled, one went bad last year and I have five left which are perfectly good. Luckily, I love Gherkins and olives which is useful.
Pond weed is your enemy

RST

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 12:57:09 am »

There was a big push by TV cooks a few years back to emphasise that things can be eaten past sell-by dates rather than just throw them away.  I embraced this principle a good few times, but I know since that I can projectile vomit into my bath but only being able to half-aim a torent of diarrhea very roughly in the direction of my toiet bowl at the same time, just before my forehead hits the bathroom floor in front of me in a bizare and excrutiating pool of puke, feces and uncontrollable spasms and sweat pouring out of me while my body starts to shake.  The puke sems to make it to the bath, the diahrea always seemed to make it in strange places and up the wall.  Some bits I only found weeks later.  I therefore gave up a few years ago with this talk of eating stuff past the marked sell by dates, despite applying prefectly good rational.  I usually always discard food if it's past the date now.  Personally I conentrate these days on only buying enough food to last until I can eat it.  BUT I am not the only person I know who finds it increasingly more difficult to shop for one these days.  You are always pushed towards bigger packets of food, deals you can't get through before they go rotten.  All the good deals on fresh food seem increasingly impossible to buy without throwing lots away if you are only able to eat a portion for one each night.

...I'm very impressed by the milk industry though.  I have experienced it countless times so far -a bottle of milk is OK the day before expiry, the next day -even an hour past midnight it's curdled like yoghurt, sour, totally inedible -no debate.  I have never seen any other product go that way so exactly and consistently.  I've had bottles of milk "fizz" / ferment just one hour into the next day past expiry when they were perfectly OK 2 just hours before.  I hate pouring milk away but it seems to have a very exact shelf life with no debate at all!

...sugar and salt are my ecxeptions and the internet says sugary and salty things are apparently exempt from the 10s rule if you drop them.  I have a 1kg bag of sugar which has a use by date of 2004 -I still use it which probably says allot about my sugar intake as its still half full (I've never had any upset stomachs using this yet).

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:39 am »

Goodness RST...what a wonderfully descriptive narrative in the consequences of a chronically upset stomach, large & small intestine & bowel  {-)

Do you do this regularly as a Party Trick?

Best remind us not to pop over to your place on a Sunday lunch time with Friday nights left over 3 or 4 x Pizza slices [smothered with Parmesan Cheese]+ 1/2 a tub of Chinese prawn tails in mixed vegetable + 3/4 a tub of Indian lamb pieces with spicy Madras Youghert   %)

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.