Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon Prime "scam"  (Read 4993 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Amazon Prime "scam"
« on: January 16, 2019, 09:21:03 am »

Just been on my bank account and my wife queried what I had bought from Amazon for £7.99. Nothing! I had bought a book in December for £19 but on january 13 and again on february 13th they took  £7.99.
It seems that a sneaky small print box needs to be ticked if you DON'T want to sign up for Amazon Prime at checkout - I had missed ticking this box, so craftily they start taking £7.99 every month for free delivery on your goods, 80 quid a year! I use them maybe once a year for stuff so what a con this is!
Moral, make sure you tick every box you need to before proceeding to make the final payment!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amazon scam
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:20:05 am »

I’ve just been done for the same thing  <*<

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:57:09 am »

Yes, there have been a lot of complaints about it but it is a practice adopted by many other companies these days, sneaky airline charges (Ryanair!), Norton Antivirus, most insurance companies who renew automatically 'to keep you protected' with a hefty markup on the previous year. It's a minefield out there and you always need to take great care.

I buy quite a lot of stuff from Amazon and also use their film and Ebook services so it is worthwhile for me but if you only use Amazon occasionally it is a bad deal.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 11:50:28 am »

Just been on my bank account and my wife queried what I had bought from Amazon for £7.99. Nothing! I had bought a book in December for £19 but on january 13 and again on february 13th they took  £7.99.
It seems that a sneaky small print box needs to be ticked if you DON'T want to sign up for Amazon Prime at checkout - I had missed ticking this box, so craftily they start taking £7.99 every month for free delivery on your goods, 80 quid a year! I use them maybe once a year for stuff so what a con this is!
Moral, make sure you tick every box you need to before proceeding to make the final payment!

That should be illegal (if it isn't already). Thanks for the warning - now I have just got remember it.

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:02:30 pm »

I was caught by the same "trick". A telephoned complaint produced a result. All the money refunded.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 12:25:10 pm »

Norton took £70 off me for renewal two months before my subscription expired. The current new price was £25. I used their online chat and they refunded the difference immediately, the guy was obviously used to doing it.

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:25:44 pm »

This sort of stuff is naughty. You should have to actively opt in, not opt out of services. Far too many websites are now tucking away gems like 'If you do not want to received marketing information, click this box' etc.
It's the same with auto renewal for car, home and buildings insurance etc.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »

Hi I got caught out by Amazon in this way.  After complaint they refunded the money.

I also was very annoyed with a web site thatI had joined for a one off browse of documents .  During this time my Internet email provider decided not to do it anymore (Boltblue), gave me good notice and I found another.

However the 'document' company sent an email indicating that if no reply they would renew my membership.  This went to the non working email company so I never had access to it.
When I was reviewing my bank account I found this payment and rang them.  After quite a lot of blustering they did refund the money as I had not used the site during that time,  I complained to them this was not the way to market themselves.
regards, Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:11 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Amazon Prime "scam"
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:38:47 pm »

Jeff Bezos: World's richest man ever in modern history
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »

Not for much longer, he's getting divorced!
Colin

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 03:28:13 pm »

Thanks to this heads up I have just cancelled prime by going to my Amazon account online. It was very easy to navigate the screens. Many thanks again. I made a purchase just before xmas and was caught into signing up for prime by default.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:41 pm »

The last time I bought something on Amazon the site kept pushing "Prime" at me all through the check out process. I kept on rejecting it right up to final payment when I found it back in again on the invoice. I cancelled the transaction , cancelled prime and delated Amazon from my site links.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:49:46 pm »

I am not sure how not reading the small print correctly can constitute a "scam"...

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 07:10:11 pm »

I am not sure how not reading the small print correctly can constitute a "scam"...
Nothing to do with not reading small print. Its the fact you have to opt out of it, not once but twice. In other words, you tick the box to say you don't want it, review your details, go to the payment page and its automatically added back in. As I found out, you have to untick the box a second time before clicking the final payment. This is underhanded and you wouldn't be able to get away with it in Tesco, Asda or any  other shop. Imagine the cashier offering you a 'deal' you turn it down, only to find on looking through the till receipt later that they added it on anyway!

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:56 pm »

It's not about small print, it's about when you have said NO they still keep pushing it back in , that is where their trading ethics leave much to be desired, ie scam

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »

So does saying "no" the first time actually do anything or is it just the second time that matters?

RST

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »

The changes to GDPR have meant nothing to me in reality.  To me anyway there was a marked change on the day of it coming into force.  Beforehend everyone was saying there was the change to needing to have to "opt-in", whereas on the day of the roll-out and ever since, everyone changed back to being automatically enrolled (to maintain your "convenience") -but they're advising you that you have to "opt-out" in order to comply wih the new rules.  Eh?  If that makes any sense compared to how the published reules are, then feel free to explain!

...I am very sceptical about check boxes.  In my experience, opt-outs on webpages mean absolutely nothing or, in the case of placing an order, you can't actually place the order unless you check the "opt-in" box.  It's very naive to think a company will delete your details just because of GDPR.  They will break the rules until they end up in court, and then it's just damage mitigation or "collateral damage".  Keep on checking them little boxes and small print though.  I went away from ordering from the likes of Amazon years ago when I realised allot of it was available in shops anyway, so I always prefer to support them direct instead, and cut-out the middle-man.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 08:53:47 pm »

So does saying "no" the first time actually do anything or is it just the second time that matters?

I said NO twice but it still ended up on the final statement

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 09:08:34 pm »

I use prime. pretty cheap at sub £2 a week. A very good collection of free films besides recent pay to view. Many products delivered free next day. Cancel anytime

Can also upload all your photos and share them on forums  {-)

EDIT never actually tried this. My first attempt at a photo link
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 09:16:52 pm »

Unless a delay is normal that's a fail  {-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2019, 11:07:12 am »

Hi all, just had the same experience as Baldrick said NO twice and still got signed up.  Have gone in and unsubscribed will see if that works. 

THIS IS A SCAM.

If you want it fair enough but I do not, said so twice and that should be enough.
regards Roy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:22 pm »

...I am very sceptical about check boxes.  In my experience, opt-outs on webpages mean absolutely nothing or, in the case of placing an order, you can't actually place the order unless you check the "opt-in" box.  It's very naive to think a company will delete your details just because of GDPR.  They will break the rules until they end up in court, and then it's just damage mitigation or "collateral damage".  Keep on checking them little boxes and small print though.  I went away from ordering from the likes of Amazon years ago when I realised allot of it was available in shops anyway, so I always prefer to support them direct instead, and cut-out the middle-man.
That's not correct even if it is your impression. Until recently, I worked with a number of major financial service companies such as Bank of America \ MBNA, Virgin Money etc, etc. One of the things I had to test were the marketing preferences presented to the User on the relevant websites and ensure where the 'I do not wish to receive....' by phone, email, post, SMS box is checked, no output is created.
I have to disagree with the assertion companies will do nothing until they end in court. The plain truth of the matter is people frequently miss or misread these website terms and conditions. Yes, some companies may make it harder for you to indicate you do not want to receive stuff but it is there on every legitimate UK website.
Ive used Amazon many times to buy stuff and yes, the Prime 'offer' is always presented by default. Ive never yet bought anything from Amazon and been mislead into accepting Prime. I make sure Prime is not included before I 'check out.'

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:04 pm »

…………………... Yes, some companies may make it harder for you to indicate you do not want to receive stuff but it is there on every legitimate UK website...…………...

Isn't that exactly what we are complaining about. Surely spending my money should be opt in rather than opt out with difficulty.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2019, 01:07:39 pm »

its there on Amazon in grey text off to one side, the two big buttons they present you with say something like - yes i want to look at the benefits of amazon prime, and No take me straight to the checkout with amazon prime, the no I dont want to try amazon prime - take me to the checkout without joining me up is set apart from these two big buttons, and is just a small wedge of text elsewhere on the page, all carefully designed so thet either button takes you to prime if you dont read the page carefully. I did get caught out with a free months trial, but spotted it as I went through the checkout, and cancelled straight away, before completing the transaction.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.