Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit Quality?  (Read 6553 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Kit Quality?
« on: January 17, 2019, 06:57:04 am »

Hi
As you can guess from my name, most of my boats are converted plastic kits - so the kit quality I'm used to is normally very high as they invest a lot of money getting right.

I've not built too many traditional traditional fibreglass-hulled models from the well known manufacturers.
I started another 1/96 destroyer a couple of days ago (I won't mention make & model). Everything above the deck is plasticard construction - cut out & glue together.

It's rubbish.

NOTHING fits. It's a joke. Nothing can be trusted - nothing lines up, parts are grossly undersized or grossly oversized. I'm having to remake most of the parts from left-over plasticard. There's errors everywhere, some parts are accidentally partially mirrored, walls are of different heights, some parts are occupying the same space or just completely wrong.

Sub-assemblies that are supposed to mate with others are different sizes. It's like the model has been up-issued many times and the box contents are a random selection of versions.
I'm having to duplicate so many parts I could build two models if I had another hull.

Is this normal? Is this all just part & parcel of modern modelling? Do we just accept this and carry on?
It's annoying because instead of confidently building a great kit, I'm looking at how to cover up the many designed-in errors.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Kit Quality?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:04:54 am »

Welcome to the world of model boats. Some are better than others but if you want everything perfect you will end up doing an awful lot of fettling.
      Good luck. Pete

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:31:57 am »

Oh - so this is normal. :o(

It's frustrating that the instructions contradict themselves too. I'm having to scour the internet for source material - original pictures and photos of other people's models to see how they dealt with the cock-ups. It's clear in many that they didn't - lots of wonky models out there.

I suppose this is the stage where many would dump it on ebay as too much trouble.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:05 am »

Every kit model will have problems. But without making the company aware of any problems they will not be able rectify them. I have some very large injection moulded plastic kits and like you say they cost a lot of money but they come with their own problems. Most kit builders will during construction change modify or remake something. Moving from plastic models to basically flat pack modelling is a bit of a shock but hang in there and things will be fine.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:20:57 am »

This is not my first model like this. :(

Most of my models have been wrecks from ebay, so without plans, I've had to be creative and invent most of what's missing.

I'm not sure the independent model suppliers have the resources to completely re-engineer an existing model as it doesn't really add much value for them. Their time is better spent developing new models.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:57:53 am »

It isn't normal for all kits, except maybe those from that particular manufacturer (no names, no pack drill...and no libel case!). If you're looking at buying a specific kit then it's worth the time to post on here or another model boat forum to see if anyone has any experince of the kit and can offer an opinion as to its quality. I can guarantee that certain manufacturers are noted for producing very good kits consistently e.g Model Slipway, while others (like this one) are noted for the opposite reason.
DaveM

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:04:46 am »

It isn't normal for all kits, except maybe those from that particular manufacturer (no names, no pack drill...and no libel case!)……………..
DaveM

& no case if what is said is true (not that I know which manufacturer we are discussing).

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:08:32 am »

I got this kit really, really cheap so it's more annoying rather than financially heart breaking.

The problem is these models crop up with no notice so research isn't possible - you just have to jump in with both feet..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 06:14:48 pm »

What you describe is not 'normal' but neither is it entirely unknown either. In fact I think certain manufacturers are actually encouraging scratch building... %)

A conventional plastic kit manufacturer expects to have a production run of many thousands and will invest heavily in injection moulding to achieve it although they do often get detail wrong.

A model boat kit will have a much, much lower production run from a much smaller manufacturer. It's quite possible that only 5 of your particular kit might be sold in a year depending on its popularity. So yes, it isn't possible to put the level of development into these kits that the plastic kit manufacturer does. And then of course there is much more building input required of the purchaser of a model boat kit. Having said that, there is no excuse for poor quality control and failure to remedy faults that occur during the kit development process. The kit you have could have been so much better had just a bit more attention been given to bring it to market. A lot of the problems could have been very easily corrected.

Certainly not all kits are like that, not even from that particular manufacturer. At the other end of the spectrum, last year I built the SLEC kit of the Fairey Huntsman 31 which was designed by Dave Milbourn for a Model Boats magazine review. I can honestly say that there was virtually nothing whatsoever to criticise about it. The only nit picking I could muster up was a recommendation to silver solder the pulpit railing which I thought might be a bit beyond the average builder (Dave and I have amicably agreed to differ on this) and truly minor points such as making the anchor from sheet wood when maybe plasticard might have been easier to get a metallic looking finish on. It really was scratching around as the kit components fitted together beautifully and the instructions were exemplary, everything you need to know is in there as long as you read them including recommendations for running gear, motor and batteries etc. And following the recommendations for powering the model gave a really exciting experience.

The kit is tried and tested in that after designing it, Dave actually built examples to satisfy himself that everything in the production kit fitted together as intended (as do most manufacturers) which I'm afraid wasn't the case with your model where only a pre production version was probably made - hence the difficulties you are experiencing.

Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:44:46 pm »

Well I've been very busy today - going my own way and using plans for guidance, I've built all the deck houses to a point where the next step is gluing a bunch of fittings on before painting. I've used what's available but cut them to my dimensions rather than follow the printed outline.

On one deck house, the printed difference between L & R is 3mm. Hopeless.

I want this model bashed out in the next couple of weeks.

I won't upload photos because that would identify the manufacturer.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:48:46 pm »

We all know who it is!

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 07:04:30 pm »

Hi plastic I assume the kit was second hand what state was in when you bought it? From my experience over the years all kit models will have good points and bad points. I am sure every model builder at some time will have felt putting the kit build in the bin.

Stan.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:05 pm »

this kit was brand new in the box - full & complete, untouched.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 07:22:30 pm »

Plastic, I believe you 100%!
Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:37 pm »

Plastic, I believe you 100%!
Colin
I don't understand?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 07:32:58 pm »

You say you have assembly problems - I agree!
Colin

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:59 pm »

Why not name and shame?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:00 pm »

Why not name and shame?

Because it isn’t fair to the manufacturer to be judged on an old kit- I know who it is- it’s the same as you judging Airfix on their first model kits from the 1950s to a modern kit. If I guess right on the kit it’s close to 30 years old whilst their modern kits are laser cut and fit quite nicely together without too much bother.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:57 pm »

Why not name and shame?
I don't have enough experience of other manufacturers to be able to compare like-for-like so it would be unfair to demonise one manufacturer if they are all of similar quality.
I'm just surprised that these days with cad systems costing nothing, that the basics are not more accurate - after all, it's just flat plasticard so I would expect it to be mm accurate.

I'm not sure how old this particular kit is - but it's still available new.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:13 pm »

I accept that some of these kits are quite old but I also think that much could be put right with a minimum of effort if the manufacturer wanted to. If not then maybe the kit should be withdrawn from sale,
Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2019, 08:34:24 pm »

Time to lock this thread  we could go on and on about kit quality and traders. Please don't think that will buy a kit and have no problems all kits have problems this includes  plastic models I my model shop last year a ready to run model with a peeling deck cost £900 plus.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2019, 08:44:18 pm »

Not sure if it is necessary to lock the thread.

There are manufacturers who produce very acceptable models so it is perfectly possible.

Those that have shortcomings need to up their game. No need to accept poor quality. Improvements can usually be made without very much effort if the will is there. If there is very little demand for the product then drop it rather then leave it to damage quality reputation.

Colin

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 10:19:24 pm »

Not fair?  If the manufacturer can't be bothered to fix long standing problems they should stop selling the stuff.  There's a 100 pennies in every pound they receive so we are keeping our side of the bargain. 

John RC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Super Smashing Great!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 12:41:25 am »

This sounds like a candidate for the lemon department. As long as it is made clear that the model is from a bygone age who cares.

Would you compare a Skoda Estelle with Skoda Octavia? 

It has always been up to the modeller to set the quality and detail level.

If the picture on the box does not corespond with the model you may have cause for complaint, but you could say the same for a burger from Maccy dee's.

Think of it as a challenge, "gard" knows I've got plenty of them, usually buying somebody else's cock up at the rate of two a year.

Remember draw deep breaths, meditate for 15 minutes before starting work and think positive.

And one day this ugly ducking of yours will turn into a swan, becoming the "ship of dreams"

And we all know how that turned out.
Perfection is the enemy of Excellence. Now where are those rivets .......1......2......3......

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 09:12:54 am »

Hi all some years ago I was given a Polish all wood model boat kit, it is a little frustrating and the translated instructions are meaningless but some of it is nice, mainly laser cut.  The company does not sell these kits anymore although they occasionally appear on ebay.  It included a nice plastic fittings kit but the scale is a little out.  Curiously there was no evidence that a deck was supplied with the kit.

A couple of years ago I had the chance to buy an American merchant ship kit.  On inspection of the contents I decided that after all those years of looking out for one it was not for me, so I declined the very generous offer, I would even have turned it down as a gift!

Regards  Roy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.