Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone bought one of these?  (Read 2909 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Anyone bought one of these?
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:13:07 pm »

Has anyone bought and built one of these mini tugs from China via eBay? I have and the contents look good, but there are no instructions or plan - just a very large collection of plasticard and ply parts {:-{

Barrie

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Anyone bought one of these?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:59:45 pm »

I've got one  :-))
After a lot of head scartching I managed to sus it out.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25:20 pm »

there was either an email address or a website included in the kit that allowed me to download a PDF instruction manual, which i then printed.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:27:54 pm »

there was either an email address or a website included in the kit that allowed me to download a PDF instruction manual, which i then printed.

I don't suppose you still have either the address or the PDF file?

There are a number of variants - I guess a manual for any of them we be a start. As Timbo says, I could probably figure out the basics but the are some mushroom parts I don't see anywhere on the model.

Barrie

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 10:50:06 pm »

there brill £35  every thing is in fits together great i even got a mini speed controller you just need a mini servo ans a battery making my as a mini berthing tug best value I have spent make sure to get a real one and not a cheap Chinese copy.
             Regards Howard.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 12:21:24 am »

Barrie,

if you PM me an email address, i will be happy to send you the PDF... i tried to upload it as an attachment, but the website responded that the file was larger than the server will allow.  (6.3mb, 27 pages)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 08:52:49 am »

there brill £35  every thing is in fits together great i even got a mini speed controller you just need a mini servo ans a battery making my as a mini berthing tug best value I have spent make sure to get a real one and not a cheap Chinese copy.
             Regards Howard.

Howard - that's the problem - how do you know if its an original or a copy? The quality of mine looks to be very good, but no instructions or 3d printed parts. The latter is not an issue as I can make or use from stock.

Barrie

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 04:50:07 pm »

Can you show us a photo of what you get in the box?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 05:42:45 pm »

Here it is.
In addition there s a length of steel rod and one of Brass (maybe tube). The fittings shown in the Ebay listing are missing, but I am not really concerned about that. There doesn't seem to be a prop shaft again not an issue as the prop supplied is a racing type.

Barrie

RST

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:44:50 pm »

I've looked at about 4 or 5 of these kits before.  But everything is in "chenglish", I'm never too sure what is or isn't included.  A big thing for me is all the sellers sell all manner of blatent copies of things -they are not model kit suppliers.  I've fancied one of the kits for a while -but the seller feedback is just way too low from the suppliers for me to buy.  I ordered stuff from China before, I think everything either went back or was just refunded through ebay anyway.
To be honest though -I looked at these kits for a whle and I thought for the hassle of ording from dubious supliers, I thought there was enough detail in the pics just to scale up with a ruler and A4/A3 paper and make my own if I wished?  If you want an exact fit-to-gether build with exact instructions, fittings -I think it's wrong to assume you'll get that from these suppliers just from the quality of the advert!  I've always held onto my £30'odd -thought it was spent better elsewhere.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 12:22:49 am »

Hi all,
 from what I can see i must of been lucky and got a real one as the others seam copy's  only thing you don't get is the instructions  you get them either by e-mailing the real seller or down loading   the copy's don't fit together right they copy's the wood cuts wrong the pictures of the wood are not the same as mine.
      Regards Howard.                   

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 07:07:34 am »

Let me say at the start I knew it was a gamble when I ordered this ( and another Chinese kit).
As for the parts so far they fit perfectly. I have only dry assembled the basic hull structure but no problems there when I figured out where things went. I now have the instructions for the original Q1 model, and these will help me finish the hull. The superstructure is almost certainly not the same as in the listing, but that's not a problem as I will modify it anyway.
My only issue was with lack of instructions and thanks to tsenecal I now have those.
I am very pleased with my investment. :-)) :-)) :-))

Barrie

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:41 am »

Does anyone have a link to a "real" one and not a copy?

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 02:30:01 pm »

Now there are only the original that comes with all the fittings and it appears that they are not sold to Europe due to shipping cost. (I think that the seller name is Cactus)
I bought one though aliexpress.com and it was a copy like barriew's  <*< There were some half and half copies out there, some people bought the 3D printed parts from the original seller and copied the rest.

aliexpress has a money back system and I got ½ my money back (if I wanted the whole amount I had to ship it back to China and that is bloody expensive  %% )
The hull did go together but with a lot of clamps.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 02:39:47 pm »

I agree that the true original no longer exists on UK eBay. There are some that are better than others.
My hull frame has gone together with no problems.
Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.