Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scams  (Read 1101 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scams
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »

I acknowledge any form of Scam is just that, however we need to be viligent and remember it is the power of the written word

In November 2018 I attempted an installation of a new Norton Ultimate installation [replacement for Norton 360]......within 1 minute on the keying of the Licence Key......a Norton page opened with a British flag, an American flag & and Australian flag......the direction was to telephone the number represented for location

It was a scam..........US dollars $199.00 ....."Click 4 xxx" I reported this to Norton via a help page...but not via telephone...but via a 2 way keyboard message discussion

The very helpful Norton lady suggested that this could not happen [despite my image of the Norton page] and after a full page of backwards & forwards text, she suggested I contact my bank.....so before I concluded my contact with Norton, I copied the full page of contact text

Raised a Scam complaint with my Commonwealth Bank.....& in the description box ....pasted in the complete page works of Norton

The Commonwealth  Bank acknowledged my claim & refunded me the AUD$231.0? ........

Back in 2007, the Commonwealth  Bank were also aggressive in attaining a refund of GBP223.40  [AUD494.98>>:-( which was a financial fraud dealing by an employee of a reputable British  supplier........[name withheld...I had complete documentary proof of the incident]

Derek

PS...that A/C number ending in 3122 was cancelled in 2007 :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »

Old thread, but the scammers are still there with extra tricks.
A neighbour called me yesterday worried by a call from HMRC saying they were about to be prosecuted unless they coughed up 2000 rapidly.
She told me the number that they had been called from (good old 1471) and the "secure" number that they told her to ring them back on, which turns out to be the HMRC helpline number.  Bear in mind, yesterday was a bank holiday, so a staffed helpline is unlikely.
Technical stuff now - the 1471 number has a string of hits on watchdog style sites as malicious, usually with HMRC refunds involved and them wanting bank details.
Ringing an answer bureau pretty much by definition cannot reach a specific person directly, so thats a mental alarm bell.  How does the malicious caller direct the call?  They don't.  After they tell you to call them back "securely", they don't clear down, they just listen to you dialling, wait a few seconds, and "answer".  The unwary, now secure in the knowlege that they are talking to HMRC, hand over their worldly wealth.
So the answer to that one is to call the number, but to do it on a line that has dial tone, and actually listen for said tone.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer (Simpson)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »

My latest after numerous Non fault rta's is the accident at work last year where the employer
did not supply safety gear.
Seeing as I retired at 67 9 years ago my employer is now SWIMBO %) %)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up