Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scams  (Read 11893 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scams
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 09:56:17 pm »

I acknowledge any form of Scam is just that, however we need to be viligent and remember it is the power of the written word

In November 2018 I attempted an installation of a new Norton Ultimate installation [replacement for Norton 360]......within 1 minute on the keying of the Licence Key......a Norton page opened with a British flag, an American flag & and Australian flag......the direction was to telephone the number represented for location

It was a scam..........US dollars $199.00 ....."Click 4 xxx" I reported this to Norton via a help page...but not via telephone...but via a 2 way keyboard message discussion

The very helpful Norton lady suggested that this could not happen [despite my image of the Norton page] and after a full page of backwards & forwards text, she suggested I contact my bank.....so before I concluded my contact with Norton, I copied the full page of contact text

Raised a Scam complaint with my Commonwealth Bank.....& in the description box ....pasted in the complete page works of Norton

The Commonwealth  Bank acknowledged my claim & refunded me the AUD$231.0? ........

Back in 2007, the Commonwealth  Bank were also aggressive in attaining a refund of GBP223.40  [AUD494.98>>:-( which was a financial fraud dealing by an employee of a reputable British  supplier........[name withheld...I had complete documentary proof of the incident]

Derek

PS...that A/C number ending in 3122 was cancelled in 2007 :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:08 pm »

Old thread, but the scammers are still there with extra tricks.
A neighbour called me yesterday worried by a call from HMRC saying they were about to be prosecuted unless they coughed up £2000 rapidly.
She told me the number that they had been called from (good old 1471) and the "secure" number that they told her to ring them back on, which turns out to be the HMRC helpline number.  Bear in mind, yesterday was a bank holiday, so a staffed helpline is unlikely.
Technical stuff now - the 1471 number has a string of hits on watchdog style sites as malicious, usually with HMRC refunds involved and them wanting bank details.
Ringing an answer bureau pretty much by definition cannot reach a specific person directly, so thats a mental alarm bell.  How does the malicious caller direct the call?  They don't.  After they tell you to call them back "securely", they don't clear down, they just listen to you dialling, wait a few seconds, and "answer".  The unwary, now secure in the knowlege that they are talking to HMRC, hand over their worldly wealth.
So the answer to that one is to call the number, but to do it on a line that has dial tone, and actually listen for said tone.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:05 pm »

My latest after numerous Non fault rta's is the accident at work last year where the employer
did not supply safety gear.
Seeing as I retired at 67 9 years ago my employer is now SWIMBO %) %)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 08:44:47 pm »

...........and yet another.  Tries to look like it comes from a government department but the sender address is a giveaway -
epxhta--_xtvurrq@telenet.be - cheeky sods even say, at the bottom of the page, 

If you’re unsure an email is from :

Do not reply to it or click on any links - chxwah-znygcaqzc-smfkeo-zqsll-rxcdqnmxzuknuc
    Report the suspicious email to Government - to find out how, go to GOV.UK and search for 'Avoid and report internet scams and phishing'
They try to look authentic by giving a warning.  Just forward the email to - phishing@hmrc.gov.uk

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 01:34:16 pm »

when will they learn, email from BT saying they are changing their terms and conditions, click on the link to log in -- oh yes like i would do that, read to the bottom of the page - yes they are still signing it Libby Barr managing director- well, now, how long is it since she has been managing director- in fact BT have a chief executive - not a managing director -- sigh all that trouble and they didnt check their facts.

only 2 emails from that was a genuine one from paypal changing their terms and conditions- saying go to the website and click on legal at the bottom- no links just instructions, well that one was genuine.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:36 pm »

when will they learn, email from BT saying they are changing their terms and conditions, click on the link to log in -- oh yes like i would do that, read to the bottom of the page - yes they are still signing it Libby Barr managing director- well, now, how long is it since she has been managing director- in fact BT have a chief executive - not a managing director -- sigh all that trouble and they didnt check their facts.

only 2 emails from that was a genuine one from paypal changing their terms and conditions- saying go to the website and click on legal at the bottom- no links just instructions, well that one was genuine.
Having worked in IT, this is really one of my pet hates where a company includes a link for you to log in especially when everyone is being told not to do this.
Believe it or not, the credit checking company Im signed into also include a link in their emails for you to log into your account. I actually wrote to them and asked do you know how unsecurity conscious this is for a credit checking company to include email links when you're then trying to educate people not to do this?
They said they'd 'look into it'!

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 09:01:29 pm »

Only a few weeks ago I had an e-mail from John Lewis ( You know, the company who got Reg Dwight to do their Xmas ad ).. Telling me that they wanted me to click the enclosed box to get to read the revised membership conditions and accept them). Told them several times they were out of order . Checked with them by phone and they assured me the communication was genuine . As clicking the button was the only way you could get to read the new conditions I told them what they could do with their club membership.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 11:51:09 am »

A new one for me, we have two email accounts the old one we use for getting replies for stuff that we know will generate a lot of junk and emails with offers, this is a BT account - anyway, today we had an email that was apparently from BT, though in the email the message had been clipped, it looked like all you had to do was open the 3 dot part to see the rest of the email, a feature usually seen on G mail, I resisted the urge to expand the email and marked it as spam, by clicking the 3 dots I can only imaging the pc being infected with a virus / malware etc, to be clear I have never seen BT yahoo mail use the 3 dots in a message.

<*<
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 03:37:15 pm »

We have a new "twist" to the "BT" scam calls , your phone rings and if you have caller display you will see your OWN phone number... answer it and its a recorded message claiming to be from BT. Its been happening up here in the NE of Scotland for about a week and not had a reply from BT yet on just what the hell is going on.

We still do not know if these "spoofed" calls are costing us money either...

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 07:36:37 pm »

https://twitter.com/bt_uk/status/1143941802506014720
That's the reply I got from BT about this new scam , they know about it and are trying to get it stopped , I'm still waiting for a reply about whether or not people affected are being billed for those calls though
Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 09:32:29 am »

https://twitter.com/bt_uk/status/1143941802506014720
That's the reply I got from BT about this new scam , they know about it and are trying to get it stopped , I'm still waiting for a reply about whether or not people affected are being billed for those calls though
Davie
I think the answer to that is in the reply, badly constructed as it is -

BT‏
[/size][size=1px !important]Verified account[/size][/size] @bt_uk[/size] 1h[/size][size=1px !important]1 hour ago[/size][/size][/color]
[size=1px !important]More[/size][/font][/color]
No just be really careful not to provide any details on these calls and disconnect them. These are known to non BT customers as well. If you have the details you can report them here
[/size][size=0px]https://www.[/size]bt.com/consumer/edw/s[size=0px]cams/[/size][size=0px] [/size]. ^Kelly

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 01:02:29 pm »

just received one  phone rings pick up phone nobody there ring 1471 get a no 01329244773  no such number

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 01:33:46 pm »

For the number to he recorded on 1471 it has to exist I would think.
I have looked and it is an area code for Fareham and has no previous searches against it that I can see.
So could have just been a wrong number..

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 03:50:43 pm »

Received a call this morning saying my BT broadband will be turned off.
Don,t have BT broadband.
5 mins ago a call saying I am having a law suit filed against me.

These stupid scammers are the scum of the earth.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 04:00:59 pm »

It must be the weather... We had six recorded calls allegedly from TalkTalk yesterday, with the "Your Internet connection will be terminated" message. They all had different numbers but these all started with the same three digits, so I've blocked that whole range. It's been ever so quiet today!
DaveM

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 04:16:39 pm »

I have looked and it is an area code for Fareham and has no previous searches against it that I can see.
The scammers have found a way to get 1471 to give any number they choose. My last one was shown as a Lowestoft number but in fact came from India.

How do you block a whole range of numbers. We have 1572 blocker but as far as I know you can only block one number or all international calls which we cannot do.

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2019, 04:31:37 pm »

A new one for me, we have two email accounts the old one we use for getting replies for stuff that we know will generate a lot of junk and emails with offers, this is a BT account - anyway, today we had an email that was apparently from BT, though in the email the message had been clipped, it looked like all you had to do was open the 3 dot part to see the rest of the email, a feature usually seen on G mail, I resisted the urge to expand the email and marked it as spam, by clicking the 3 dots I can only imaging the pc being infected with a virus / malware etc, to be clear I have never seen BT yahoo mail use the 3 dots in a message.

<*<
We have seen a lot of these emails at work recently. The link in the email takes you to a website that has a script that captures the details of your email account and the password. You will then find that your account is compromised and used to send a similar email to all your contacts. The domain name in the URL will probably end in .host .online or .pro If you have received one of these and clicked on the link CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD NOW

Because spam filters are stopping more spam email they are compromising legitimate accounts so the emails are seen as coming from a trusted source and most of the time it will be from an address you know.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »

It doesn't have to exist in the real world, the process of putting a different number into the 1471 register is called "spoofing" the number.  Some honest business do it so that should you ring back, it goes where they want it to go and the people (or more likely machines) that hand incomong calls can deal with it.  Unfortunately there are no checks on who buys the facility apart from clearing the payment, so dishonest folks use it to lie about their whereabouts, at least to us civilians outside of the system.  Sometimes a non-existant line might be used, or one that might not be answered, like a kiosk in the middle of nowhere.  Sometimes a person of dubious honesty might convince his creditors that he is emigrating, and contact the world via, say, an Australian spoofed number, when he might be in Thailand, or Bognor.
It isn't easy or cheap to track them down, but to set any call up on a digital system and have two way conversation, the control needs to know the exact engineering address of both ends of the call because it is, in effect, two calls.  One path set for conversation going one way, another going the other.  This end information gets stored in memory for some time, and can be recovered.  Thats why outfits like the ICO need as much accurate information as they can get to drop on the villans.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2019, 07:55:08 am »

Most of the numbers I send to 1572 begin with 0203 and are an 11 digit number.

Scum.

John

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2019, 08:00:54 am »

How do you block a whole range of numbers.
It's a facility on the base station of our telephone system (Panasonic KX-TGF320). The silence continues, but that might just be coincidence.
DaveM

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2019, 01:26:16 pm »

Hi Dave
I have the Panasonic 3 station (KX-TG7521AL) which has caller barring for up to 30 numbers.
This slows the scammers down, but if you wish to add more you have to delete all the numbers and start again.

Canabus

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 07:15:09 am »

Got this e-mail this morning - not had one of these in years.....   {-)

"Hello Good Morning,
I am very sorry for this sudden contact. I got your email address through an online directory and I am contacting you personally because I seriously needed your help. My name is Millie Williams. I am 19 years old girl and the only daughter of my parents whom where both assassinated during the political crises in my country Ivory Coast. My father worked for many years in an oil drilling company and he deposited some money (5,500,000.00 Euros) with my name in his bank before he died and I want you to help me transfer this money to your own bank account in your country and also help me come to your country to continue my education. This is because after the death of my parents, my wicked uncle wants to kill me and collect my inheritance money from me because I have no one to defend me. I have reported my uncle to the local police here in my country, but nothing has been done since then. I am writing this mail from a local hotel where I am presently hiding for my safety. I am willing to offer you 20% of the money as compensation for your help after the transfer. Please reply me urgently so that I will send you more details…
Millie"

I can't believe this is still a thing.     <*<

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2019, 08:07:49 am »

so when does the wicked uncle give her a poisoned apple, that makes her fall asleep until rescued by a handsome prince and seven dwarfs, as in reality that is much more likely to happen than this fairy story. oh and they seem to hve missed out pumpkins and glass slippers.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2019, 08:43:12 am »

It's definitely a Grimm tale.

I wonder if this scam is classed as vintage or retro.   {-)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2019, 09:30:55 am »

Got this e-mail this morning - not had one of these in years.....   {-)

"Hello Good Morning,
I am very sorry for this sudden contact. I got your email address through an online directory and I am contacting you personally because I seriously needed your help. My name is Millie Williams. I am 19 years old girl and the only daughter of my parents whom where both assassinated during the political crises in my country Ivory Coast. My father worked for many years in an oil drilling company and he deposited some money (5,500,000.00 Euros) with my name in his bank before he died and I want you to help me transfer this money to your own bank account in your country and also help me come to your country to continue my education. This is because after the death of my parents, my wicked uncle wants to kill me and collect my inheritance money from me because I have no one to defend me. I have reported my uncle to the local police here in my country, but nothing has been done since then. I am writing this mail from a local hotel where I am presently hiding for my safety. I am willing to offer you 20% of the money as compensation for your help after the transfer. Please reply me urgently so that I will send you more details…
Millie"

I can't believe this is still a thing.     <*<

Lucky you. A million Euros for doing so little. 😂 🤣  <*< %)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.