Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: German Patrol Boat in Errol Flynn movie 'Edge of Darkness'  (Read 1695 times)

shipnut

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
German Patrol Boat in Errol Flynn movie 'Edge of Darkness'
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »

I was watching a movie on YouTube last night called 'Edge of Darkness'. At the beginning of the film aGerman plane flying overhead orders a patrol boat to proceed to a Norwegian village.I got a real kick out of the patrol boat, and grabbed a screenshot (very out-of-focus).   My questions for today are:                  Is this a real design or just something made up by Hollywood?                  Any idea where I could get some lines for the underwater portion of the hull?   I think I'd like to tackle this project. Any sane suggestions welcome....and thanks ahead of time.                        Hugh F. Mowat (Shipnut)

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: German Patrol Boat in Errol Flynn movie 'Edge of Darkness'
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:34:53 pm »

Is this the one.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

shipnut

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:52:20 am »

Thanks for replying so quickly. Yep, that's the vessel I was talking about.It looks as though other people have already seen the movie.
I wonder if anyone went ahead with a model?                  Hugh F. Mowat (Shipnut)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:41:22 am »

From IMDB.
Most of the film was shot in Warner Bros studios at Burbank with some exteriors in the town of Monterey. Warners rented two of the biggest piers in Monterey and a fleet of Monterey sailing boats; they lined the streets with Norwegian and Nazi flags and signs and cast several locals as extras.

As 'Edge of Darkness' was filmed in California, in 1943, it is unlikely that the patrol boat is a genuine German patrol boat. Most likely a dressed up fishing boat, or a US patrol boat (perhaps with elements of mock superstructure).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:00 am »

A quick look through the Germany and Norway bits of my Janes WW2 doesn't show any matches.  The ones that come close have the masts arranged differently.  I wouldn't trust that to be a complete listing anyway, not for small vessels, especially ones that might have been acquired locally after occupation and militarised.
It probably is a locally available (Southern California local) tug or fishing boat dressed up to look "sort of" German, a procedure that was very common back in Errol's time and still goes on today, despite there being a vast army of anoraks pointing these things out.  In 1942/3 I doubt that even Warner Bros could get hold of the real thing. 
When you look at low budget movies involving tanks, how many Panzers have you seen that look amazingly like Shermans?
Afterthought - didn't the RN dress up a destroyer to look like a German patrol boat at about the same time?  Art and life do imitate each other.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:46 am »

The most usual 'dress up' involves vehicles, for a german halftrack it always appears to be the M3A2 US vehicle and tanks usually russian T72 (battle of the bulge i think) or similar, i'm sure I have seen a patton used as a german tank
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

shipnut

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 04:29:22 pm »

Malcolmfrary      Thanks for looking it up in Janes. Many moons ago I had a couple of Janes...one real one from the end of WWII, and a couple of reprints. But they went long ago.      I tried Google, entering 'German Patrol boat', but got everything from battleships to Confederate      Ironclads.
      Might have a go in cardboard, using lines from, say, a fishing vessel or similar.      Building models does serve the purpose of keeping me from hanging out with bad company.                      Hugh F. Mowat (Shipnut)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.