Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2  (Read 73395 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75 - v2
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2023, 07:50:04 am »

Hi Josse,

Looking Good! 
  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2023, 06:49:17 pm »

Thanks a lot Martin!
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2023, 08:33:51 pm »

Hi all,

Considering that power in the boat is crucial programming and testing I decided to unravel the wiring and start working towards finalising the main power supply and computer in the center of the ship. In doing this I found the reason I thought my Step down converter for the Pi was broken, I didn't connect it to the output side of the switch but rather to the LED connector which only gets 3,3V.

A small impression of the mess I started with, including the surrounding components to make it a good looking box.

I started with sorting out the wiring to get the best possible sight at which wire is which.

After quite a bit of fiddling I managed to clean up most of the wiring though lots of it is not fully finished yet, mostly because the still to make wiring for the screen, battery status, multimeter and the circuitry for powering and shutting down the Pi.

This is the new version of the topplate though I'll soon print a new one slightly modified version since some parts don't fit all too well.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2023, 01:34:33 pm »

Hi all,

I printed almost a kilo filament into new parts in a week, the printer kept working throughout Christmas as well. One of the results is this engineer mounting housing 2 fire pumps (the second one will be mounted to the rear) and also some electronics.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2023, 01:40:48 pm »

Made quite a big decision here. Rather then even trying to skeeze a camera, some servo’s and motors into a 4x4x3cm small ROV and trying to make a cable anywhere near scale size I decided to make a hangar with an actual working ROV (which is much bigger) and for which the size of the wire is not relevant as it’s out of sight anyways. The hangar will have a door entering the moonpool so I don’t need to make all to much modifications.

I still need to modify the feet which are to place the hangar at the intended height and I need to give some thought to waterproofing the connection since the lower part of the hangar will be below the waterline. I also printed a nice support for my self-designed PCB and a motorhat that will control the rotation of the crane atop the drilling tower and the crane to the rear of the dive area.

Power is back online! I tested a relay setup to switch the extra functions (all kinds of lighting, secondary cranes, fire monitors etc) but the switch that controlled the relay for some reason lowered the 12V I put into it to 2,5V which proved not enough to switch the relay. Therefore I got rid of the relay and it’s switches and put in simpler switches that can handle 3A (which I recon is more then enough since where talking to groups here, so 6A in total) so I can save power when I’m not going to use those functions.

I still need to glue the LED’s in place, for which I intent to use hot glue.

Since the servomodule is quite hard to reach with all the wiring going on in front of it I inserted all the needed servo cables which I also labelled to not get confused later on. I also bundles the cables per part (all cables for the same crane combined for example) and routed the cables towards the location of the to be connected component.

The inside of the superstructure is fully printed now, I only need to glue the parts together and mount all the cabins with their lighting and the electronics. In the rear I included holes for mounting 3 fire main lines (2 fire monitors and 1 for fire extinguishing on the helideck) and a hole for the VGA connector which will pass the power- and signal cables to the superstructure.

The topplate has all it’s components fitted, now I need to connect all the wiring. I tested the multimeter briefly but I don’t trust it’s readings. It indicated 0,3V and 49,2A (it can handle up to 50A), so I probably made a mistake in the connections. I attached the Amp meter on the – side off the load, perhaps that should be the + side. I also don’t understand why the Volt meter still indicates 0,3V when the Volt meter wires are disconnected.
All in all I still have some things to figure out and quite some wiring to fix in an orderly manner but at least the + side of the groups are now finished so the – side of things is still on the to-do list.

Greeting Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2024, 10:18:16 pm »

Hi all,

My goal for this year is to get Well Enhancer sailing, so I need to finish installing the thrusters. I've been at it for about a week now with some proper steps made towards actually working thrusters. In this photo I collected all the needed parts, including the PCB's that will end up below the stepper motor in order to register the thruster angle.

I soldered the ribboncable to the PCB off screen but I do need to provide better means off fixing the mounting plate for the PCB then the balsa wood. I designed the plate such that I can align it to the stepper motor.

Coming really close to having the thrusters working! I am going to change the engines back to the old engines that also powered the first version due to poor fitting of the timing pulleys. I will also sort out the wiring a lot more once I tested the thrusters since I think some wires are now not attached anymore.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2024, 10:01:16 pm »

Hi all,

The main propulsion is finished for testing! I switched the engines back from the Johnsons to the Speed 500E's I used on the original Well Enhancer, mostly because the drive shafts of the Johnsons is just too big for the timing pulleys, the Speed 500E's don't have this problem. I drilled a hole and tapped M2,5 thread in the hole to secure it. After fixing all these minor issues and finishing the remaining items to get it all working I also tidied up the wiring for as far as it is now finalised, I stopped where I know the wiring still needs to be sorted out. Off screen I also made a cabletree for the I2C wiring to connect the PWM module (and thus the Pi) to the 16x2 LCD screen and the rest of the ship through the self designed PCB housing the midships multiplexer.

I am thinking about designing a proper mount for the 9DOF positionsensor in order to ensure any anomilies in the readout cannot be from the sensor moving all about the place.

Greetings Josse

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2024, 09:41:57 pm »

Hi all,

Currently I'm running into communication problems in the programming so I decided to let it rest hoping to find a solution later and instead pick up work on the superstructure by glueing the 2 sides and the front together.

The remaining gap in the top layer will be filled up with a resin printed and fully detailed part.

This morning I found on Vesselfinder that Well Enhancer is in The Netherlands today so I grapped my camera and went out there and took quite a lot of close up photo's for as well as I could get to. The close-ups (My Nikon 200-500mm lens was worth every penny today) revealed answers  to some questions while also revealing that I missed i few functions that I should make working like 2 fire monitors atop the Dive-area, a personel lift at the back of the drilling tower and a hoisting derrick also to the rear of the drilling tower.

Greetings Josse

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2024, 08:57:11 pm »

Brilliant work Josse! Would it be fair to say that you could play catch up forever with a vessel that is in service? I assume that parts get fitted and removed all the time thus making life difficult if you fitted things to your model that the owners then removed later for what ever reason  >>:-( %%
Pond weed is your enemy

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2024, 09:15:58 pm »

Thanks Ballast!
Haha, with these kind of ships being in port means modifying things, especially on the rear deck. She moved to drydock this morning so no doubt things will be different when she gets back out though she was in dire need of a fresh coat of paint all over the ship. Of the functions added I'm quite sure some were from the time between the end of my internship at the yard and delivery by the way, while some (some fire monitors for example) appear to be added later, but would seem to be quite logical add-ons.

I do intend to fix some point in time or perhaps several. Should I be allowed on board at some point that day will most likely be the day I'll stick with, otherwise I'll most likely opt for a hybrid that I think looks great to tell the story of this ship. Maybe I could have a few features that can easily be swapped when so desired but I'm certainly not going to play catch-up.

Greetings Josse
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.