Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronize:Gone for good??  (Read 10505 times)

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Electronize:Gone for good??
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:57:24 pm »

I guess that I have missed something. A while back I tried to get some ESC's from Electronize, but could not make contact. Someone posted that the gentleman was down to a one man shop. Has he closed up entirely? Taken a break(I hope)?It is a great loss that another fine manufacturer is leaving the ranks, if that is the case.Thank you

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Electronize:Gone for good??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06:11 pm »

Just looked at the website it says permanently closed.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 05:18:24 pm »

Thanks, my link came up an error page. So sad to lose such a wonderful vendor and contributor to the hobby. <:(

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 05:42:18 pm »

The situation with Electronize is this :-) they are doing very small numbers of speed controllers on request - there is no website now though - but, there is a telephone number available - but - this number is only available during office hours throughout the week = i.e. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (UK time). 
Tel:
 0121 308 7411
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Navy2000

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:17:15 am »

SO how would some one from the US get a hold of the gentleman to get some of his speed controls? I have these installed into my two CVN models and destroyers and cruisers that I have built in 1/96 scale. I like to have the adjustments that are on the ESC to help me fine tune speed and control of my models.

Duane

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:56:52 am »

Just spoken to Electronize still making Speedos.

Stan

Navy2000

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 11:17:38 pm »

Is there an email that can be used to get a hold of him to get some speed controls?

Duane

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:16:01 am »

Having contacted them yesterday your only option may be to phone them. The web site has gone he may have personnel e/mail  but may not wish to give.

Stan.

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 09:01:02 am »

sounds like he doesn't really want to do any business. have you considered an 'action electronics' speed controller. assuming they are still manufacturing of course.  dave has an excellent product and good service.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:34:09 am »

Dave Milbourn hasn't been running Action Electronics for several years now.

Action products are now available from Component Shop

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/

and include a good range of speed controllers.

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 12:45:19 pm »

Having spoken to Electronize he is still making E S C   but you have to make contact by phone. Yes I agree this may be a problem for our overseas members. But like a lot of our traders who have been around a long time and given good service over the years it may be time for them to slow down. Like us all we can't go on forever. :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

Stan.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 05:21:59 pm »

Hi there = just a thought - how's about emailing Cornwall Model boats, they advertise Electronize on their website and ask them to ring (as we all seem to be ringing and nobody is reading previous posts) :-)  they may be able to put an order in for you.   It may cost you a bit more because no doubt Cornwall Model boats will have to make a little bit of profit.

John

Navy2000

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 10:46:21 pm »

Well I guess I am out of luck in getting the same speed controls that I have been for a while. I live in the US so phone contact looks like it is out of the question for me. Now I will have to hunt and spend unknown amount of funds to find a good speed control for Naval models that are as close as possible to Electronize.

Duane

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:29 pm »

Nothing lasts forever but there are plenty of options out there including Action and others so it isn't really a problem in sourcing something suitable.
Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 10:30:50 am »

I built one of these Electronize ESCs (FR15?) back in the 90's. It was a very 'busy' circuit board and the procedure to fit it to the metal case lid - which was also the heat-sink for the MOSFET - was fiddly to the point of madness! It did work very well once assembled but it was pretty large, even by the standards of the day. I seem to think that the adjustment pots were for neutral and top speed. A modern ESC will have an 'autoset' neutral, and you can adjust the top speed and acceleration slope with a computerised radio (or your left thumb...). There was also a switch on one particular type to select low, medium or high operating frequency but I doubt if many understood what that was for, let alone moved it from the factory setting.
For those who are curious, the operating frequency is the rate at which the processor in the ESC switches the motor on and off. The higher operating frequency gives better low-speed control, but often at the expense of the motor brushes emitting a loud and annoying squealing sound - so now you know.DaveM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:37 am »

Well I guess I am out of luck in getting the same speed controls that I have been for a while. I live in the US so phone contact looks like it is out of the question for me. Now I will have to hunt and spend unknown amount of funds to find a good speed control for Naval models that are as close as possible to Electronize.

Duane
International telephony is available from may countries, even the USA, but obviously there is a need to be aware that there is a time difference.
ESCs are not generally rated by physical size ut by voltage capabilty and current handling.  Fortunately, an ESC that will handle a lot of current will just as accurately handle lower currents.  The only downside of more modern ESCs is that they are sealed replacable modules, rather than repairable devices.  Avoiding the 320A things widely touted on ebay, there is a good range of good, solid, reliable ESCs on the market, invariably more compact, usually at lower cost.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 04:43:07 pm »

is it not +44 instead of the leading 0 if dialling from abroad
ah no - i see you need an exit code in front of that - so :-
To call the UK from the US, just follow these simple dialing directions: First dial 011, the U.S. exit code. Next dial 44, the country code for the U.K. Then the area code (2–5 digits)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 06:38:07 pm »

Hopefully the call won't cost more than the ESC!

Just buy an alternative! They are just as good, if not better as Dave says.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 07:03:33 pm »

I must admit, the one advantage Electronize speed controllers (the older ones with the 2 adjustments) have, is when you do a multi motor set up in a model boat;

Where one motor inevitably starts before the other motor ( because of various resistances on the motor from the prop shaft/ misaligned couplings & etc.) when using 2 Electronize speed controllers - i.e. one for each motor - you can adjust the settings to accommodate for this - so that both motors - start at roughly the same time.

Without altering anything on your transmitter handset - so therefore - the stick is at neutral and your trims are all set at neutral - the actual setting up is done in the model. 

With modern day speed controllers with autoset; you have to adjust the trims on your transmitter which, in turn, will not give you a full range of speed and on the speed controllers with mixers built in; you sometimes find you have to alter the rudder setting to bring in line the two motors which can be of a disadvantage because your rudder may be set off centreline & to correct this, you have to physically alter the linkage from the servo to the rudder.

Food for thought - maybe if enough of us pester he will realise he has still got a strong following and may not 'disappear / retire too early'.

John

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 11:42:51 pm »

I understand exactly your comments with respect to starting multiple miniature marine engines John W E

However on the other side of the coin in full sized [prototypical] marine drive trains.......most systems be they steam, diesel or electric....all experienced design parameters where multiple engines commenced rotation ....shall we say out of phase ...or one propeller before the other

So with ESC + mixer examples producing a non synchronized commencement of rotation is actually lifelike  :-))

From this, all of the consequences you correctly mention [rudder angle bias set etc] are also a fact of life in real or full sized vessels  [with the exception of multi engined vessels with VPP systems]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 12:10:21 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 12:14:55 pm »

Food for thought - maybe if enough of us pester he will realise he has still got a strong following and may not 'disappear / retire too early'.

I'd think carefully about that. If he has stopped full time manufacturing then there will be a reason, retirement, health or other personal reasons so it might be a bit unkind to put pressure on when there are so many perfectly good alternatives on the market.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 02:08:24 pm »

Well, I have had an enjoyable telephone conversation (half an hour   ) with Dave from Electronize and he assures me that he is still going to produce the 15 amp speed controller - he also told me why he actually stopped making the 30 amp speed controller because people were
connecting the battery
around the wrong way and destroying the speed controller. 
H
e was telling me at a later date he may upgrade the design for the 30 amp one to prevent this from happening.   I asked him also about him retiring and he said not yet
:-)
he is on a slowing down process but he is still fairly active.   Healthwise he says his health is good
, but he is like others plus myself -
stone deaf so sometimes its difficult to communicate on the phone with him.

Now for the important bit - if you do a web
search - you can find his postal address - if those who genuinely wish to purchase speed controllers and are having difficult locating his address send me a personal message.

Derek, to answer your query on a real ship with twin engines - yes they do start out of sequence when
they first start up but once started they are regulated by the tachometer to bring them in line with one another.   Sadly, though, this doesn't happen on an autoset twin speed controller - if one is out of sequence on rpm it maintains that and sometimes the gap increases in rpm so if you leave it without correction of the rudder the vessel will veer off to one side.
john

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 02:46:19 pm »

I find this all a bit confusing! Being deaf myself I find it easier to communicate by email/text so why choose a phone number as main method of contact?  However it seems that neither the phone number or postal address are readily available so it doesn't give the impression that Dave is actively looking for business. There are no longer any adverts in Model Boats magazine either as far as I can see.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 02:49:20 pm »

He also told me why he actually stopped making the 30 amp speed controller because people were connecting the battery around the wrong way and destroying the speed controller. 

Blimey! If I'd done that I'd have packed up business inside a month! As Craig Talbot (the 'ACT' of Action) used to tell me, "There's little you can do to proof anything against a really determined idiot". Fortunately the 'old-fashioned' ESCs with through-hole soldered components are easily repairable - unlike the fully-waterproof, surface-mount technology potted designs. It's always been the case - at least in my experience - that 50% of the ESCs sent for repair actually have nothing wrong with them, while 40% have been connected with the battery polarity reversed. Of the rest, most have either been overloaded or left to corrode in standing water in the bottom of a model.
Colin - You of all people must admit that if you're deaf then you'll probably not hear the phone ringing in the first place. It's not as easy to ignore a text, E-Mail or letter.

DM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.