Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standard vertical boiler vs center Flue design  (Read 2228 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Standard vertical boiler vs center Flue design
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:41:50 pm »

Hello every one

I recently came across an old Wilesco, D305 vertical boiler with center flue which might fit my
small steam engine tug boat project I am currently working one . Question what is the difference between a center flue design vs
 a standard boiler design and what purpose the center flue design was intended for. 

Any help appreciated David   

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
Re: Standard vertical boiler vs center Flue design
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 04:54:57 pm »

Bonjour Dillinger 04
To my opinion and for our models, tha choice of the boiler depends on the room you have and the respect of a real boat you wish.
I will not detail the different yield capacities as they depend of the technical characteristics of each boiler but I would say as first approach that a vertical boiler contains less than an horizontal one of the same size and generates a lot more roll due to its high center of gravity.
A Kingdon is very realistic, here installed in a large 15 kilos launch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93vPCIyLw0k
This launch could not receive a vertical boiler : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xE5ZgT90E

Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:00:12 pm »

Hello rhavrane

Thank you for responding to my post. Originally I thought of a small vertical boiler, do to space for my engine and boiler bay size
which is a rectangle of 4" wide by 7" long with a cabin on top of 3" tall. A total depth of 6" including the boat hull which has a fairly wide beam of 6'' 3/16 wide for its size, boat is under 20" long small tug boat .Any recommendation to fit the dimensions I have for boiler and steam engine .  Thanks

pendlesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:48:40 pm »

I donk know if you are intending to make your own boiler or not but we will and can make you one any size and shape you like, so long as its round!
Nigel
Pendlesteam boilers

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 05:23:23 pm »

Hello Nigel of Pendle steam

Thank you for responding to my post, I see your wed site looks like you have some quite complex boiler designs with all the whistle and bells I
would be just looking for a simple built with out all the whistles and bells perhaps a vertical built boiler would be the best option to fit my engine bay dimensions  with enough power output to power something like a Tony Green machined oscillating engine kit . How much would you charge for a simple built boiler  Thanks David

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:51:03 pm »

Hello Nigel of Pendle steam

Thank you for responding to my post, I see your wed site looks like you have some quite complex boiler designs with all the whistle and bells. 
I would be just looking for a simple built one with out all the whistles and bells. Just your standard with safety valve, ect perhaps a vertical built boiler would be the best option to fit my engine bay dimensions, with enough power output to power something like a Tony Green machined oscillating engine kit . How much would you charge for a simple built boiler  Thanks David

pendlesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 10:48:15 am »

Hi
If you consider a water gauge, a safety valve and a pressure gauge as bells and whistles which you will do without I for one would not make you a boiler, nor could I legally sell you one. This level of basic construction is seen only in toys, the likes of Mamod and Wilesco. If thats what your engine requires then you have your answer but anything above this level is bound by serious regulations which manufacturers have to abide by.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 05:47:26 pm »

Hi Dillinger 04,
I have also built a 55 cm tugboat and can tell you that being so small it can't carry much weight, so you will be restricted in the choice of steam plants. My steam plant weighed under 1 kg if I remember correctly.
Most copper boilers available on the market will be too heavy for such a small hull (accounting also for the weight of the engine and ancillaries). Ask Nigel @ Pendle boilers if he could build you a boiler not exceeding 500 g.

The Wilesco 305 boiler isn't such a bad idea for you, as it is built of thin brass and weights much less than a similar sized copper boiler. However, you should choose the engine you want to power with it carefully. It shouldn't be too big, because the boiler, being a simple centre flue with no water tubes design, doesn't produce a lot of steam. I would say a 2-3 cc engine should suffice.

The best advice I was given and which I happily give on to others is to build the steam plant first and the hull after, knowing the weight it must be able to carry.
That way you will be spared a lot of headaches. I know of several steamboat projects which were stopped due to the steam plant turning out too heavy.

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 05:54:40 pm »

Hi KNO3

Thank you for the information appreciated, I originally though of the D305, but was not sure on center flue design. Question 
if this design, center flue does not produce as much steam as most boilers do, would the power out put be less to the steam engine producing some what poor performance from the engine? do you have any pic of the little one you built to post

Thanks David

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:35:08 pm »

Hello, it isn't correct to say it doesn't produce as much steam as most boilers. A simple centre flue boiler (with no cross-tubes) will be comparable to a pot boiler of similar size. It all boils down to the surface of boiler that is exposed to the flame and hot gases.
So it really depends on what engine you want to use. Each engine should be coupled with a boiler that can supply enough steam to turn it at decent speed, otherwise you will be disappointed.

Do you have the engine already?

You can find the little tug I have built here: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11688.0.html

If you wan't to learn more about (model) boilers, there is an excellent book: Model Boilers and Boilermaking by K.N. Harris. It is available online in many places, just google it.

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 02:48:05 am »

Wow KNO3

Nice job on the tug boat looks really good! is that the St Canute kit, which I think was originally design for electric ?
and you modified, the hull for steam, No I have not gotten a steam engine yet for my project . Thank you for the information and book for education purposes .

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 05:32:06 pm »

Thank you!
Yes it is (was) the St. Canute kit. I have only built the hull according to the St. Canute plan. All the superstructures are freelance. It started from a need to accommodate the first steam plant, then I realised I enjoy freelance building much more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.