Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drone trouble in U.S.A.  (Read 3906 times)

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Drone trouble in U.S.A.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 01:01:21 pm »

SURPRISE :embarrassed: No really, what surprises me is that this happened in the UK BEFORE it happened here. Oh well, the new norm. " We are sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, but your flight is delayed indefinitely because of a drone over the airport. We hope that you will not mind the inconvenience".

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »

As someone who also flies RC helis, this drone hysteria is getting beyond the pale. That Newark airport was closed supposedly because a drone was sighted 20 miles away? Really? And even then, the 'sighting' sounds very dodgy to me.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:50:11 pm »

It was overspill from a different airport, but at 3500 ft.  20 miles out is probably where the final approach is starting, depending on plane type.  Whether it was irresponsible stupidity or malice is yet to be determined.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 06:36:27 pm »

As a drone pilot this type of thing upsets me greatly. I go to great lengths to stay legal and then some idiot makes it where the laws will probably change again.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 07:34:55 pm »

but at 3500 ft.

3500 feet?
I take it this is another one of those Gatwick drones - invisible with a 36-hour battery life.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 08:28:30 pm »

My smallest drone, which is a 250 class can go over 1000 m straight up, I am just not stupid enough to do it. Small home built drones can generally outperform commercially made drones but the commercial ones can still fly far and high. The pilots actually claim the saw the drone and missed it by a few feet.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:31:20 pm »

My smallest drone, which is a 250 class can go over 1000 m straight up, I am just not stupid enough to do it. Small home built drones can generally outperform commercially made drones but the commercial ones can still fly far and high. The pilots actually claim the saw the drone and missed it by a few feet.
not one of these 'sightings' has ever been proven - most are eventually agreed to be balloons and poly bags blowing in the wind.Blaming drones is a government narrative to enforce registration and licences.

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 10:57:29 pm »

So the pilots are lying?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 12:09:48 am »

"because a drone was sighted 20 miles away? Really?" ...So does this mean?....sighted by whom or what?

1. a long vision radar or vision sighting device sighted a drown 20 miles away from the airport?
2. a farmer in his field 20 miles from the airport sighted a drone at 3500 feet elevation?

Since we are using Imperial American units of measure {-) 

3......20 miles is quite a long way for a person even without being vision impaired to see anything  :o  [possible vision reconditioned:kiss:
4. ....Farmer Joe even with 20/20 vision would be lucky to see a football sized device in the sky at 3/4 of a mile away

PS....so where were the Pilots?

5. sitting in the airport terminal?
6. flying a plane 20 miles from the terminal?
7. helping Farmer Joe by doing some aerial pesticide spraying?

I blame Rupert Murdoch for all of this unintelligent ambiguous media reporting......

8. Next you know the British will be saying that Yuri Girgian left urine samples in space  O0 from his Soyz space craft........
9. This will not be published in America, because they dispute Yuri ever left the ground and it was all a TV scripted mock up from Moscow
10. The dogs name of LIAKA is banned in certain States of the USA  O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 02:01:49 am »

Vasaviation on Youtube has the ATC transcripts for this incident. It was on final even thought it was long final, and one aircraft reported the drone 30 feet off it's wing tip. The old saying goes that it only take one bad apple to spoil a bunch. Whether its running your boat fast too near others, planes flying where they shouldn't or anything else. We assume an individual to be responsible, before we find out their true intentions. I'll stay home, Thanks :embarrassed:

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:34 am »

"because a drone was sighted 20 miles away? Really?" ...So does this mean?....sighted by whom or what?

Go back to the OP, follow the link, read the article.  Questions answered before they get asked.
Whom?  A pilot on a long final approach, and, for a big plane, 20 miles is very feasible.  Most commercial pilots try to avoid landing as if they are approaching a carrier.  An early final turn and a long, settled, straight approach is always the preferred option.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 12:57:38 pm »

Malcolm....the link in the original posting is BLOCKED?? for viewing in my home Country...... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:24:25 am »

Perhaps doing a search for "newark airport drone" will turn up some other articles with the same information, only not blocked?  Always Usually better to read the content of an article rather that drawing conclusions from a headline.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 09:05:10 pm »

Malcolm....the link in the original posting is BLOCKED?? for viewing in my home Country...... Derek
No problems just now in Melbourne.  :police:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 01:27:12 am »

Always Usually better to read the content of an article rather that drawing conclusions from a headline.

No Malcolm......this is not they way Capitalism intends consumers to buy.....

Read the top line....speed read the body of the text and the subliminal voice explains all O0

Now tell me you did not attain a yearly salary adjustment when you declined your employers kind offer of a speed reading course, or more to the point your salary decreased when you failed program test  {-) 

If Norton Supreme blocked this article it is because of malicious script  <*<  is embedded in the text

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:19 am »

The link site had a spirited attempt to tell me that I had an adblocker in use, and made it a bit more difficult to see.  But a couple of clicks, and there it was.  While it was readable, it was an internet link, so there is no guarrantee of either truth or accuracy, but the nature of the site should put it streets ahead of twitface or booktube or youbend.
It was  going on, understanding and following the concepts of a Quality Control and a Customer Service course that helped fast track my early retirement.
It's not unknown for Norton to deliver false positives.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 03:32:49 am »

So the pilots are lying?

The job of a pilot is to make as many landings as he does take-offs.  To that end, pilots will interpret something in the sky as being very close and on a collision course more than ground observers or laymen.  UFO researcher Phillip Klass found that pilots reported more easily-identifiable things as flying saucers than non-pilots. 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 04:04:10 am »

but at 3500 ft.

3500 feet?
I take it this is another one of those Gatwick drones - invisible with a 36-hour battery life.

This drone pilot flew to 3300 ft., 1000m, and then problems...
He didn't anticipate a change in wind speed, or a battle with his GPS computer.
Worth viewing, ... He hasn't made high altitude flights since.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxdeRx2fLA

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 09:06:07 am »

Totally irresponsible, ( but reading his statement on the video  gives more clarity  )but yet what a great video and great footage.. If he was so experienced I thought he would have flipped into panic mode a lot , lot earlier....

Re the uk Dronegate at the airports they are now thinking it was a disgruntled employee.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 09:36:05 am »

Ever since the advent of manned balloons, it has been known that wind direction changes with altitude.  That's how they "steer" them.  They get up to a level where the wind direction is near to their preferred direction of travel.  Landing from that situation gets tricky - the wind direction changes as you come down as well.  Clouds also carry their own vertical air currents.
This muppet is a prime example of why the availability of drones that are not piloted should be restricted.  He wasn't flying it, he was offering instructions that the on board software was interpreting.  He was also operating a model, with model performance, in a real life size situation, well outside the ability of the software to cope.  A pity that he didn't bother to learn anything about the environment up there before flying it - very lucky that it didn't hit anybody on its way down when it went into uncontrolled plummet mode.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:28 am »

A bit from a news site https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47313276  about the Gatwick drone (was it only a couple of months ago??-
After collecting 130 witness statements and completing 1,100 door-to-door inquiries, the police think the drone must have been operated by someone who knew the layout of the airport - leading them to conclude the pilot was a current or former Gatwick employee.
............or somebody with access to Google Earth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.