Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ark Models VIIC Build  (Read 3070 times)

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
Ark Models VIIC Build
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:07:29 pm »

I've just taken ownership of my first sub since my old Darnel VIIC over 30 years ago!!!
I went for the Ark Models VIIC after reading and watching the builds and reviews on Youtube. I saw some people had issues with the delivery from China, so I ordered mine via Amazon.co.uk (£299, kit only inc delivery), and it arrived in under 10 days and NO import duties or handling charges.

I will put up some pictures over the next few days (having just suffered a heart attack, I now find myself at home with at least 4~6 weeks of doing models, instead of working.....

Meanwhile I have been in touch with my old Mate Ron (www.rcsubs.co.uk) and ordered his dedicated Ark Models WTC

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Ark Models VIIC Build
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:08 pm »

Good choice- heard nothing but good about this model.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:57:27 am »

OK, some time later.

Finally getting around to making a start, first issue the damn rudders, and trying to get A/ enough throw B/ reliable enough (after all getting to it later will be a nightmare).

The supplied cranks collet threads and grub screws are pathetic. Have replaced the supplied grub screws and got some Aircraft links I have kicking around. I'm still not 100% happy and may yet (whilst I can) rip these out and either solder my own, or make some in G3 (Fglass sheet) or buy some metal tiller arms and modify them.

Looking at videos etc, anyone who has built one, says the rudders were challenging but dont offer any insight, so hopefully this will help others.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 12:53:39 pm »

Next niggle ?

Manual clearly shows the crank (supplied in kit) and grub screw to control forwards planes

The reality however is someone didnt think the same.

Spot the missing hole ?

Sadly another part I will not be using, not the end of the world but very annoying

Otherwise its just a big Airfix kit and mostly goes together very well (so far)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:39:52 pm »

The Revell Type VII conversion from Norbert is a good unit to ape. Can make a very sturdy version in brass sheet if you prefer.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 07:37:38 pm »

Thanks for the comments and ideas, hmm got me thinking again.

I've ordered a few of these

And these to play with

I looked at the video on Youtube of a build of this model, and I took a few single frames from the video to see how he did his, and it looked like a bit of brass was glued to the posts, not sure I want to go down that route, glue has a habit of breaking down over time.

I have my WTC from Ron.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:41:00 pm »

They look like aluminium,- not the best combination with steel in the wet for galvanic corrosion, although they'll survive as long as the water isn't brackish.

Best is to use brass wheel collets and solder on brass arms, which can be cut from some sheet stock. Use stainless steel grub screws, all readily available on ebay etc.

Ron Perrott does some nice brass cast hardware for some of his models, but may not be suitable for a VII.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 07:11:47 pm »

OK, thanks for the comments, deffo not happy with the stock parts, so going to replace them with brass & brass collets with decent grub screws.

I've roughly cut these out of some scrap brass sheet I had laying around, now just need to sand them down and solder them to the collets

During my lunch today (working from home) I threw a few of the parts together for the coning tower

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 04:23:05 pm »

Finished the bow and have chosen to use magnets to hold down the three separate deck sections so I can take them off to access the innards

To resolve my issue with the rudders I've ordered some nice Brass rudder arms from Engel, then I can finalize the rear end as well (tracking royalmail shows I should have them tomorrow)...

johndora

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 09:00:02 pm »

Graham, Thanks for this info. Have just come into an Arkmodels ViiC with R&R WTC. Am a submariner novice and wondered how you fitted the WTC? Am I right in that the frames inside the hull need cut about? Please did you get any instructions on how to fit the WTC?

Many thanks!

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.