Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morse Code Simulator?  (Read 3543 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Morse Code Simulator?
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:59:59 pm »

I'm building a destroyer and I'm looking at adding sound to it.

I can get an ASDIC and klaxon sound generators but is there such a thing as a Morse Code simulator that can give bursts of Morse-like sounds that I can link to a signal LED on the bridge too?

I'm thinking of maybe using one of those birthday card sound effects PCBs with a fake Morse signal recorded into it or maybe a couple of 555 chips into a mixer to give a semi-random bit stream into a Peizo sounder.

Low cost and simple is good.

Any ideas?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Morse Code Simulator?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 07:27:24 pm »

Yes is the simple answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_SiZkciRsA&feature=youtu.be

Forget the size of the board in the video - it can be made to work on a much smaller board for the grand cost of about £3-£5

The message being sent in the video is the emergency message sent by the Titanic – CQD CQD CQD CQD CQD CQD DE MGY MGY MGY MGY MGY MGY position 41.44 N. 50.24 W

Can be made to do what you want as well as the speed / tone amended - the video is approx 12wpm

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 07:32:19 pm »

That might be useful - I've never used one of these - how much does it cost to get up & going? (leads, software, pcb etc)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:38:02 pm »

Not a lot (£3-£7 including peizo sounder) - I'll post details asap - keeping the chancellor happy right now doing my VAT return!

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:38:27 pm »

If morse code could be heard that far away from the ship, I don't think I would want to be in that radio room when sending or receiving a message.... It would be louder than a Motorhead concert... %% %% %%

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 07:41:13 pm »

If morse code could be heard that far away from the ship, I don't think I would want to be in that radio room when sending or receiving a message.... It would be louder than a Motorhead concert... %% %% %%
{-)
I know - it's just for novelty value. I think the ASDIC would kill the sub with sonic shock-waves too.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:14:39 am »

An advantage of the card module is that you can build an actual message to record using something like Audacity.  Cut and paste generated tones into a stream, record the result to the card.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:22:59 am »

The card modules are about 60p each in quantities of 10 or more and can record between 10 and 120 seconds each. I was thinking about just ripping chunks from The Cruel Sea or similar on Youtube and recording them into the chips. I can have sirens, klaxons, ASDIC and morse all selectable then. I've got a 5-channel radio set for it so there's 3 spare channels muck about with.

I could trigger them from a receiver switch or like the old days with a servo triggering microswitches. Cheap and bodgy but probably effective.

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 07:26:47 pm »

I'm building a destroyer and I'm looking at adding sound to it.

I can get an ASDIC and klaxon sound generators but is there such a thing as a Morse Code simulator that can give bursts of Morse-like sounds that I can link to a signal LED on the bridge too?

I'm thinking of maybe using one of those birthday card sound effects PCBs with a fake Morse signal recorded into it or maybe a couple of 555 chips into a mixer to give a semi-random bit stream into a Peizo sounder.

Low cost and simple is good.

Any ideas?

Simple answer there , buy the Noisything11 with the Warship suite downloaded or speak nicely to component -shop and ask them what they can add to that .....I have one with the Destroyer Whoop , asdic , morse Guns , and eight others , and works brilliantly on a 3" speaker up front in HMS MANXMAN  %)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 08:48:36 pm »

I supposr you could get a Bluetooth speaker like I was just bought.....good sound and reasonable volume.
https://shopora.co.uk/hi-fi/264-bluetooth-speaker-anker-soundcore-mini-super-portable-speaker-with-15-hour-playtime-20-meter-bluetooth-range.html

Connect it to your smart  phone and control it from the bank..

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 10:34:29 pm »

So Malcolm says......"Cut and paste generated tones into a stream" .....

.....[and they say the English language is logical] %) .......I am sorry Malcolm, didn't realise tones could swim [after being cut & pasted]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 09:23:17 am »

So Malcolm says......"Cut and paste generated tones into a stream" .....

.....[and they say the English language is logical] %) .......I am sorry Malcolm, didn't realise tones could swim [after being cut & pasted]

Derek
With a sound file editor like the free audacity, you can do cutting and pasting of selected bits of what is on screen such as bursts of tones and silent bits.  These can then be pasted into your new file and exported as an MP3 file to be played as required.  Handily, audacity (free) has, amongst its other bits n pieces, a tone generator, which allows creation of dots, dashes and spaces which can be assembled into a message.  The avantage is that you get to pck the tone and, depending on how persistent you are, the actual content of the message.  Anf if you get it wrong, it can be edited.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 09:30:54 am »

With a sound file editor like the free audacity, you can do cutting and pasting of selected bits of what is on screen such as bursts of tones and silent bits.  These can then be pasted into your new file and exported as an MP3 file to be played as required.  Handily, audacity (free) has, amongst its other bits n pieces, a tone generator, which allows creation of dots, dashes and spaces which can be assembled into a message.  The avantage is that you get to pck the tone and, depending on how persistent you are, the actual content of the message.  Anf if you get it wrong, it can be edited.

Tone for morse is normally around the 600 mark but is down to personal preferrence - the link below gives are very elegant solution and downloaded .wav file

Check out this link  - http://www.meridianoutpost.com/resources/etools/calculators/calculator-morse-code.php

C-3PO

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.