Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleet air arm colours  (Read 2162 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Fleet air arm colours
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:39:27 am »

Any suggestions for paint for FAA aircraft? I am looking at doing the aircraft on CVA-01 in the grey and sort of duck egg green? two tone.  Suggestion for Humbrol, Revell and Vallejo would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob
I will finish this model

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
Re: Fleet air arm colours
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:06 am »

By the time that CVA-01 was due to come into service the FAA had moved away from the Dark Sea Grey and Sky scheme that you mention.

The prevalent scheme then would have been Dark Sea Grey uppers and White undersides, or all over white for the Buccaneer S1s.
Regards
Kit

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:58:57 am »

Thanks for that, not easy doing "what if"  easier scheme to apply as well  :}

Bob
I will finish this model

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:50:15 am »

If memory serves Dark Sea Grey over White or Duck Egg Green would suit aircraft from 1950s and 60s.   Sea Hawk, Sea Fury,  Venom, Gannet (DSG/DEG)  Vixen, Phantom, Buccaneer (DSG/W)  Avenger AEW, Sky Raider, (Dark Blue) Wessex, Wasp Sea King (Dark Blue)  Buccaneer S1 in all white would be a designated NNSA (Naval Nuclear Strike Aircraft)
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »

Hello Rob

CVA-01 was planned to carry a mixed load of Buccaneer S Mk 2 and F-4's. From 1968, and possibly before, when I started flying the Bucc all the front line Mk 2's were dark sea grey all over. The few Mk 1's left were strictly used in the training role on 736 Squadron but they to were painted dark sea grey all over I believe although possibly some retained the white underside. This colour remained until the end of 1978. The F-4's were the same grey upper surface and white undersurface. The Gannets were the light greenish colour, duck egg green?

Reference to other aircraft mentioned by TailUk is irrelevant when talking about CVA-01. Ark Royal got rid of the COD Gannet and used the Sea King instead.

John

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 11:04:44 pm »

The non-COD Gannets aboard CVA-01 would have been the AEW3s, and I'd forgotten they retained the Dark Sea Grey/Sky colour scheme until they retired in late '78.

The ones on the Ark Royal were from B Flight of 849 NAS, which had a particularly wonderful fin marking in yellow and black with a stylised bee at the top,  :-) not to mention yellow and black trim all over the airframe.

Regards
Kit

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 08:50:41 am »

Hello Rob

CVA-01 was planned to carry a mixed load of Buccaneer S Mk 2 and F-4's. From 1968, and possibly before, when I started flying the Bucc all the front line Mk 2's were dark sea grey all over. The few Mk 1's left were strictly used in the training role on 736 Squadron but they to were painted dark sea grey all over I believe although possibly some retained the white underside. This colour remained until the end of 1978. The F-4's were the same grey upper surface and white undersurface. The Gannets were the light greenish colour, duck egg green?

Reference to other aircraft mentioned by TailUk is irrelevant when talking about CVA-01. Ark Royal got rid of the COD Gannet and used the Sea King instead.

John

I was trying to cover the FAA from 1950s to late 1960s as he did say he was planning a "what-if" model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:09:49 pm »

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/mcdonnell-douglas-fg-1-phantom-1-72.html

Take a look at the scrolling images. The last three list the Humbrol colours recommended for the Phantom. Good place to start.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 02:29:59 pm »

thanks for the answers, the air wing will be a bit of what I can make with what's available.  Using 1/100 die cast as they provide Gannett, Wessex and Phantom, no luck with Buccaner except the shapeways, which is bland and no detail and a lot of money just for one. so it will be Gannet, as I love the blue COD, Phantom and Wessex, talking of the Wessex, colours for those?

Bob
I will finish this model

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 03:31:35 pm »

Bob Tamiya used to do a 1/100 scale buccaneer they pop up on eBay or Japanese websites from
Time to time.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 05:06:23 pm »

Yeh, its trying to catch the little buggers though :embarrassed:

Bob
I will finish this model

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 05:43:32 pm »

Wessex can be Dark Blue or camo - Tan/Green
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.