Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: large bourbon tug advice  (Read 2073 times)

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
  • time to sail the world and the 7 sea's
large bourbon tug advice
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:30:00 pm »

evening everyone, ive had this tug a year now, only managed to get it out of the shed and on the lake once in that year, however i lost a prop.... so im going to need a new one!
one thing im struggling with is finding a battery big enough to power it. ive got a 12vlt lead acid battery, but feel thats insufficient, ive got a couple of nicad 12vlt batteries too, how ever i feel there wouldnt be much use either.. ive used the 12vlt nicads to test everything works, and so far the other thing that ive been unable to get working is the 2x bow and 2x stern thursters, ive attached a photo of the thruster set up, im unfamiliar with the set up myself, so im really just looking for some advice on a battery to use and how to get the thrusters working properly. im hoping to get it running so i can take it to wicksteed.. any help would be really appreciated
happy boating :D

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
Re: large bourbon tug advice
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »

I have a large 54” all wooden model of a tug ,and I use an 18 amp hour lead acid battery in her powering a large 5” dia motor, and she goes like stink and I have not yet run out of battery power.

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
  • time to sail the world and the 7 sea's
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:20:06 pm »

I have a large 54” all wooden model of a tug ,and I use an 18 amp hour lead acid battery in her powering a large 5” dia motor, and she goes like stink and I have not yet run out of battery power.

thank you very much, ill looking into it now, i was thinking about a golf buggy battery.. would i need a special ESC unit for these bigger battery's ?? i think the one that is in there currently is a 50amp esc
happy boating :D

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:01:52 pm »

If the voltage is the same (e.g. 12V) then the size of the battery will not change the current taken by the motor. A larger battery will give you more capacity so a longer running time. The esc will be OK.
Dundee Model Boat club

RST

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:58:57 pm »

Only to say I think I recognised this tug immediately.  Only seen one other model mentioned before.  I am working near Paris at the moment and I believe the local club has it on their website?

http://amisdesflots.e-monsite.com/

http://amisdesflots.e-monsite.com/album-photos/en-construction/abeille-flandre/

...Having said that, I based myself for work here late last year, found the club who were wholly inviting, but going back has not been so easy for a few reasons aside -working, not well etc.

Is there anything on their website which might be of use?

Alterntively, some more info and pictures will help.  Can you see any data / labels on any motors etc etc?

Cheers,

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 10:06:37 am »

Provided that the battery can supply the current that the motor wants, if there is not enough power, its the motor.  If its a 12-24 volt motor, running it on 12 will leave it at the bottom end of its power range.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:42:41 pm »

I do believe it is the Abeille Bourbon.
Have a look here at this album, 180 plus photo's of Peter's build of the same ship. Peter is french or belgian, not too sure which, its been a few years since I was in contact with him.
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/105202506859524458881/album/AF1QipPoUcFU_lDss9UfuVe0b4S4HOTAKyrj4qyPT0-9
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.