Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballast?  (Read 1009 times)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ballast?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »

I put my lead shot in vacuum sealed bags.  And put Velcro on the bags and the hull insides to hold it in place.  This allows for small movements to fine tune the ballast.  And no worries about the ballast shifting or corroding.  'Course I'm only building much smaller boats, with SLA's acting as most of the ballast.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »

Hi Tiger T.. not trying to be controversial here.  The lead shot plus the air spaces in between come out about the same weight as steel bar on a volume basis.  It does depend a bit on the diameter of the shot, but it is about right.
I find lead shot in a strong plastic bag adjusts very easily to the space it occupies.  I tend to make all ballast potentially removable as handling a large boat on the bench can be difficult.
Regards to all, Roy

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »

tizdaz only just thought of this......find your local Window fitters and ask if you can buy some old fashioned sash weights that were inside old windows they are very heavy and simply use some sticks like ....you know the rest those are approx 1.5 to 2lb in weight

Dave

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 01:15:19 AM »

Hi Roy,
I was more responding to the comment about steel shot, rather than lead. The problem being the price of lead shot. I am not sure that you can still buy lead shot anymore. I thought the EU had changed the shotgun shot to non toxic in many instances now.
If it is available and you buy shot from a gun supplier, make sure you ask for lead.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 01:20:43 AM »

Lead bar heavier and less space taken up and don't rust.

Ned

Yes, lead by choice if you can afford it and have access to it; but at least part of the discussion has been about the prohibitive cost of lead, for some people. Hence the discussion about steel, and associated issues with using steel, started by others.
If you have access to lead, lucky you. The last time I got lead, I had to go to a gold mine for an ingot, but not everyone can do that. The only alternative for me, in China, was the fishing tackle shop and buying weights to melt down; which would have been hideously expensive.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 01:32:39 AM »

I bought lead shot a few years ago from a sporting goods store.  It was on the fishing aisle, not the hunting aisle.  It came in a small plastic bottle, much like ketchup is seen on the tables of restaurants, only smaller.  Seems like there was about 4 lb in it. 

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »

Hi All
No problem for me, my brother works for a tyre company!!!
Pick up a 5KG bag of used lead wheel weights for free !!!

Canabus

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 08:26:37 PM »

There is an "old fashioned" iron mongers about 15 miles away that still sell 1 Kg bars of lead solder.
Not cheap, but worth it.  If you know how much you need just cut a piece off of proportional length.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up